HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:07 AM
Joined Jun 2005
339 Posts
Discussion
Winter Flying

I flew yesterday despite minus 0 degree weather!!!!! Had a great time but flights were shorter d/t numb fingers and lipo performance. Seems like lipos duration are cut shorter when temps drop below zero. For some of you Southerners out there, yes it does drop below zero and some of us die hard rc'ers even fly. It was 28 below fahrenheit here which isn't so bad since Island Pond which is just a little north of us hit -42!!!!!!!!!! Ouch! Don't you just love northern winters!!!!!! Sorry but couldnt' take any new photos, camera batteries went dead.
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/blog/weather/
georgefromvt is offline Find More Posts by georgefromvt
Last edited by georgefromvt; Jan 18, 2009 at 10:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2009, 07:58 PM
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Joined Sep 2007
739 Posts
George,

Happy to see another winter flier. Although my real passion is e-sailplanes, I built a mini-Telemaster and have skis on it. Leaps into the air in a few feet and I have enjoyed it. I'm from Michigan's Upper Peninsula so I appreciate your weather as well. We had lots of below zero weather last week with -30 or so windchills. I didn't fly <grin>.

Getting ready to go out today after x-country skiing but the wind came up quickly along with those big, fluufy flakes. Tomorrow is promising.

I've not noticed a huge difference in LiPo performance, but I haven't spent time metering in the cold. When I charge, I normally do right in the back of my Escape so I suppose the battery does stay a little warmer.

Dave
Highride is offline Find More Posts by Highride
Old Jan 18, 2009, 08:27 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
0 F? There doesn't seem to be a temperature there

And yeah, I hear you on the numb thumbs Gets to be a pain when it's 40 outside, and the only things exposed are my face and hands.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 18, 2009, 08:48 PM
Plastic Buddha
Joined Oct 2005
2,619 Posts
aftica is offline Find More Posts by aftica
Last edited by aftica; Apr 23, 2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:25 PM
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Joined Sep 2007
739 Posts
aftica,

I tried the glove thing, but two seasons ago I bought a Radyowarm transmitter bag -- think it was from Horizon Hobby. Keeps my hands and TX warm. I've even put one of those chemical handwarmer packs in it for more comfort on occasion. Much nicer to feel the sticks.

Takes some getting used to especially when tossing one of my e-sailplanes, but that's another story.

Good flying to you!

Dave
Highride is offline Find More Posts by Highride
Old Jan 19, 2009, 01:06 PM
Raleigh NC
Joined Feb 2006
1,000 Posts
Well good for you, and I was whining about the 30 degree temps here in NC.
Doc Holliday is offline Find More Posts by Doc Holliday
Old Jan 19, 2009, 09:39 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
I was at the park today, watched one of the senior members of the club with a Katana 3D glow plane, taking off and landing from fresh powder, on skis. It was a trip. Beautiful day for flying, a balmy 25 degrees or so, very light wind.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b