HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2009, 12:09 PM
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Joined Oct 2008
327 Posts
Discussion
Planes in the Hanger / Planes in the closet

I am curious about this great hobby. I am developing a habit that I am sure overcomes us all. I am positive that others are just like me. First, we are all very excited to learn how to fly the plane we've just built or purchased. At the same time we are getting excited about the next airplane we want to buy. Sometimes the excitement overcomes us and we get the plane before we are ready to build and fly it. Sound familiar?

My hanger started with a Modeltech Fledgling that took me 4 years to build. Then a GWS Slo Stik, a Harbor Freight P51 and a Mountain Models EZ Cub.

My closet has a Mountain Models J3, an E-Flite P47, a rare kit I found on ebay and a GWS EStarter is in the mail.

I've only been flying for 7 months!

So, how long have you been flying, what is in your hanger, and what is in your closet?!!
Maq001 is offline Find More Posts by Maq001
Last edited by Maq001; Jan 17, 2009 at 09:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2009, 12:23 PM
BadPilot
United States, IL, Custer Park
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
Maq,

Funny you should ask, I drive my wife nuts. I have over 100 planes in the house and now seven helis. I started flying about 1.5 years ago. I bought the sim one year prior to purchasing my first plane. When I did start to buy planes, I went crazy and ordered every one I could. I would get some on sale then buy two or three of them. Don't laught too hard but I only have 22 or so flyable at any one time. These planes are from peanut to 1.5 meter gliders. I fly anything. I even build and design my own. I have about 20G worth of heli and plane parts.

John
badpilotto is offline Find More Posts by badpilotto
Old Jan 17, 2009, 12:41 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,281 Posts
Flying--33
Waiting for equipment(electronics/motors/etc)--21
Boxes waiting to be opened--60+/-
Roundtuit hanger (repair/evaluation)--35+/-
Inprocess--5

Would you like to talk about boats--control line--free flight and static as well?

Been involved in this madness for about 60 years give or take

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Jan 17, 2009, 01:33 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
First consideration when I bought car and my house was appropriate room for the models...

I was up to 60 different aircraft programmed into my Tracker-III transmitter last year. I thinned the fleet a bit since then.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Jan 17, 2009, 01:53 PM
Wind blows
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2007
2,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalesch
Maq,

Funny you should ask, I drive my wife nuts. I have over 100 planes in the house and now seven helis. I started flying about 1.5 years ago. I bought the sim one year prior to purchasing my first plane. When I did start to buy planes, I went crazy and ordered every one I could. I would get some on sale then buy two or three of them. Don't laught too hard but I only have 22 or so flyable at any one time. These planes are from peanut to 1.5 meter gliders. I fly anything. I even build and design my own. I have about 20G worth of heli and plane parts.

John
You might want to seek help.
Laggard is offline Find More Posts by Laggard
Old Jan 17, 2009, 02:16 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Nearly 7 years, and my garage is filled with planes, mostly foam now since that is all I fly, because they fly soo well upright, and inverted.

I have planes hanging from the roofing, planes on the walls, a couple ontop of shelves, and a pile of foam awaiting sortment in the next week or two before I move.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 17, 2009, 05:10 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Joined Jul 2002
4,206 Posts
TOO Many planes/kits, Too.

Man needs help......(Building)

Larry
SPEED-E-FLYER is offline Find More Posts by SPEED-E-FLYER
Old Jan 17, 2009, 05:16 PM
Wind blows
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2007
2,896 Posts
Everytime I want a new plane the wife gives me some variation of "you already have planes. Why do you need more?"

What do I say??
Old Jan 17, 2009, 05:23 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
1) But each plane flys differently and I'm trying to improve my skills.

2) Why do you need more than 3 pair of shoes?
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Jan 17, 2009, 05:24 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard
Everytime I want a new plane the wife gives me some variation of "you already have planes. Why do you need more?"

What do I say??
One word - "shoes"
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jan 17, 2009, 06:08 PM
Wind blows
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2007
2,896 Posts
Shoes! That's it! Every month is a new pair. And handbags! She has to have at least two dozen.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 08:00 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,050 Posts
The best question is: "How many pairs of BLACK shoes do you have?" Before she retired, my wife routinely had 5 or 6.....

When we built our house, the FIRST consideration was where the hobby room(s) would be. I have a shop when the planes get built and a two car garage that has never (and likely will never) see a car....

Been flying electric since about 1972....
Mel Duval is offline Find More Posts by Mel Duval
Old Jan 17, 2009, 08:23 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Hmm, my parents give me the same thing. I just tell them it's because my old planes are starting to get beat up, and my radio has the space.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 17, 2009, 09:20 PM
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Joined Oct 2008
327 Posts
This is great! You guys are starting to make me feel lots better. I was hoping that this would be the response I'd get. I love this hobby and when not flying am looking at magazines, or looking online dreaming of what I'd like to build or fly next. Sometimes the excitement gets to be too much and I buy before I have the required time to build and or complete.

jpalesch, you are my first contact from Iraq! Very nice to meet you. What do you do there. What ever you do you have lots of room for planes!!! I'm jealous. My wife and I were considering a different house before the markets and economy tanked. A hobby / project room is a major consideration. I'm happy that you are able to persue your hobby to this degree.

As you can tell you are not the only hobbiest with a lot of planes, boats, helis etc. I don't have that many but I've only been doing this 7 months. I currently have 8 planes or kits in some stage of completiton. That is approximately one per month. If I were to continue this hobby for the next 12 years I would have 144 planes!

Thank you everyone for your responses and keep them coming. I know there are more interesting stories to hear!
Maq001 is offline Find More Posts by Maq001
Old Jan 22, 2009, 02:07 PM
BadPilot
United States, IL, Custer Park
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
Second post and I wanted to say, YES, I guess I have lost it…. I love the hobby.
Maq, Thank you for the posting… I will only be here another eight months or so. I fly the sim four days a week and fly heli or plane at least that much. Some days or night we fly five or more batteries through our planes. We have huge light sets near the dining facility which allows us to be able to fly any time. I only have two flyable planes with me and five helis. 22 other planes waiting to be built, this is only in Iraq what I posted before is my planes at home in Germany.

Laggard you correct I might need to seek help.

Larry, I need the same help, building them.

Fhhuber, I tell my wife the same think, each plane does fly different, even if you have two or more of the exact same models. I really like the shoe comparison. I have used that one too. The only problem is I have way more planes then she has shoes…
badpilotto is offline Find More Posts by badpilotto