Closed Thread
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:32 PM
And Repairs
Grapevine, TX
Joined Jan 2009
262 Posts
Question
OS .40 engine is frozen after a couple years of sitting

I'm just getting back into RC. My OS .40 engine has sat for a couple of years. I'm not sure if I fully ran the fuel out after the last run or not.
The throttle won't move and the prop won't turn. Is ther an easy fix?
Thanks
TyFlies is offline Find More Posts by TyFlies
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2009, 07:19 AM
Registered User Wannabe
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
freeing engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralReefer
I'm just getting back into RC. My OS .40 engine has sat for a couple of years. I'm not sure if I fully ran the fuel out after the last run or not.
The throttle won't move and the prop won't turn. Is ther an easy fix?
Thanks
Probably. I had the same problem with THIS MAGNUM XL .40 , which had set up for 10 or more years.

Here's what I did: as to the engine, I loosened it by soaking the internals with wd40 and working the crank (in hindsight, I think dropping it in a bowl of glow fuel might would have worked just as good if not better). Anyway, I got it freed.

My throttle barrel was seized worse than the engine. I removed the carb and dropped it in a small pot of lightly boiling water with a small amount of dawn in the water. I would leave it in the water 30 sec or so and then remove and work the thrott barrel. It took around 5 minutes to get it working right. I've also seen it suggested that the carb simply be dropped in a cup of glow fuel to soak.

The engine suffered no ill effects. I flew it on my trainer for its first 20 tanks of fuel about a year ago and then went to a .46. I only had one dead stick and that is when my filter clogged with a grain of sand and a dead fire ant - how they got in the fuel system, I don't know. Recently, I put it back on the trainer, and flew about 8 more tanks of fuel through it over the course of a couple of weeks.
rodneygt is offline Find More Posts by rodneygt
Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:04 AM
And Repairs
Grapevine, TX
Joined Jan 2009
262 Posts
Great. I'll get this freed up today. Thanks
TyFlies is offline Find More Posts by TyFlies
Closed Thread