HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by adreher, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:09 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,306 Posts
WHERE do you guys airbursh? In the house? In the garage? for me it's too cold in the garage in the winter, and the days when it's nice enough to airbrush outside are days I'd rather spend flying.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:35 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,022 Posts
This is one of the nice things about painting with water based paints like Creatix, often mentioned here. It is no problem doing this inside. No noxious fumes and minimal mess in the form of floating overspray and such. I paint in my basement but I did do it on the kitchen table in the past before I moved to a house with a basement. Frankly this is the only reason I would even bother. If it stunk up the place I would have to pass.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:35 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
WHERE do you guys airbursh? In the house? In the garage? for me it's too cold in the garage in the winter, and the days when it's nice enough to airbrush outside are days I'd rather spend flying.
i agree with Rob, using water-based paints makes it easy to do almost anywhere. I use a three sided cardboard box area as a "spray booth" to keep the overspray contained but it's pretty straight forward. Probably the smelliest thing is the Windex I use to clean the brush
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:02 AM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
I got away with painting with water based for quite a while using a styro cooler as a paint booth over the kitchen sink. Then one day my wife got into one of those cleaning events as they sometimes do. Bottom line is she figured out the SLIGHT bumps she felt on the counter was over spray. Second bottom line is I am now building a much larger and easy stow cardboard booth.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:44 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
I got away with painting with water based for quite a while using a styro cooler as a paint booth over the kitchen sink. Then one day my wife got into one of those cleaning events as they sometimes do. Bottom line is she figured out the SLIGHT bumps she felt on the counter was over spray. Second bottom line is I am now building a much larger and easy stow cardboard booth.
yeah, I have to work on the "Easy to stow" part. I have mine all taped into shape with a "floor". I don't see that much overspray but I'd rather not fine it weeks later on something i cared about
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:30 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
yeah, I have to work on the "Easy to stow" part. I have mine all taped into shape with a "floor". I don't see that much overspray but I'd rather not fine it weeks later on something i cared about
My current easy to stow method is to tape small diameter tube pieces to the sides, top and bottom and then slide smaller rods in to hold it together much like a hinge/pin system. I would post a pic but don't have a camera.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:45 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
My current easy to stow method is to tape small diameter tube pieces to the sides, top and bottom and then slide smaller rods in to hold it together much like a hinge/pin system. I would post a pic but don't have a camera.
If I hadn't taped the bottom in place i could "three fold" the sides in. I'm just using one of the boxes I got a shipment of EPP in
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:53 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
The Hobby King Dual action airbrush is back in stock this morning. I picked up a backup/spare, In case anyone is looking for one. The one thing i liked better than the harbor Freight one is the cup on it is attached and has a cover so there is no contortion holding the cup in place while spraying. it also seemed easier to fully clean to me. now I need to get a rack to hold the brushes. That might be a HF thing. I already have a 3 way manifold on my compressor
If anyone is interested in one of these, they gave me a "buddy code" so you can get the brush for $12.95. It should be good until the 25th. hey, $5+ off, why not (and yes, it gets me the discount also if someone uses it). You need to be logged in to HK when you use it for it to work.

http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...9-375789FCF685
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:40 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
I haven't heard anything back on my order from Coast Airbrush this week. I went out looking for paint and found that Blick carries it. There are two in Boston so i made the drive and picked up some to use this weekend. On the display it said it was "ready to use". Are people thinning Createx or using it straight? I am running an .050 needle in my brush which is what Createx said to use online.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:00 PM
Pro Bro 209
Ashmore,Illinois
Joined Apr 2005
127 Posts
I dont thin my Createx.....straight from the bottle to the airbrush...I cant say for sure with a siphon feed brush, but I run 4 gravity feed brushes at 25 psi... no problems what so ever....
flyboyz43 is offline Find More Posts by flyboyz43
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:58 PM
Support Your Local Hobby Shops
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
748 Posts
aero104 is offline Find More Posts by aero104
Last edited by aero104; Mar 14, 2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:36 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyz43 View Post
I dont thin my Createx.....straight from the bottle to the airbrush...I cant say for sure with a siphon feed brush, but I run 4 gravity feed brushes at 25 psi... no problems what so ever....
My HobbyKing brush is gravity feed so I should be good to go then. Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:08 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
pictures of my process and outcome as promised. Haven't got a completed plane picture as I'll be assembling it tomorrow

in the first few pictures you can see the laser cut plywood stencils I made. Since I have floating letters in the left wing I needed to make a bridge to hold them in place. it's a little overkill for structure but it works fine. In the next few pictures you can see the spraying process, color first and then black second. All the foam sheets and masks have alignment holes and I just used 1/4-20 bolts through the layers and then spring clamps to hold everything. The plywood stays mostly flat but i do get a little "spray under". The next sequence is the finished sheets as they would go into the kit. The shadows are from the trees surrounding my deck but I found I got better pictures outdoors. And the final three are what the overall effect will look like. That is actually the original test sheets and there were a few errors that I corrected in the final masks. hope to have something to fly for our Wednesday indoor session. one of the local guys showed me how to use the gutter guard plastic to create a CF look and I used that on the nose doubler and diagonal bracing and it adds a neat highlight. Still learning the airbrush. I had some issues with it during my painting session yesterday and have gotten it better adjusted now and fully cleaned it. I was having a lot of angst about disassembling it fully but I got it back together and working afterwards. now I need to work on uniform coverage in lighter coats. I weighted the first batch of sheets and added 16g of paint to the entire stack. I'd like to do better
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:12 AM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
873 Posts
I really like that underside black/white scheme. I saw something similar on a flight vid, I think the guy was from Austria. Anyway, when the the underside came into view, that scheme just jumped out at the eyes, very effective.

Reminds me of the old V2 and Redstone rockets.
Mazzepa1 is offline Find More Posts by Mazzepa1
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:40 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzepa1 View Post
I really like that underside black/white scheme. I saw something similar on a flight vid, I think the guy was from Austria. Anyway, when the the underside came into view, that scheme just jumped out at the eyes, very effective.

Reminds me of the old V2 and Redstone rockets.
I was trying for something a little more realistic after one of my buddies said, everyone does flames and checkerboards. I spent some time looking at Huckfest videos and actual fullsize aerobatic routines and that seemed to be a good combination of what I saw. I really liked that style bottom in hover and torque roll sections. it's my interpretation of all the planes i looked at and I thought it looked cool. Tomorrow I will see when I get it built as I have 3-4 to build
RCG Plus Member