HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by adreher, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:18 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,017 Posts
I have four of them now and I am pretty happy with them. You will have to keep them clean. When spraying water based paint like Createx the paint tends to dry up in the valve. Not to hard to clean out but I never have an issue with my Paasche.

Next time I see them on sale I will probably pick up another. Not that I want to being to many six color paint jobs but I could see it happening.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:26 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxspode View Post
I have four of them now and I am pretty happy with them. You will have to keep them clean. When spraying water based paint like Createx the paint tends to dry up in the valve. Not to hard to clean out but I never have an issue with my Paasche.

Next time I see them on sale I will probably pick up another. Not that I want to being to many six color paint jobs but I could see it happening.

Rob...
I picked up a couple of the Hobby King dual action airbrushes before Christmas and gave one to my daughter. She used it this weekend and seemed to do ok with it. I've been using the HF one and it's worked well. i haven't tried the Hobby King one to compare. Most of my paint jobs are 2 color and white EPP so I should be good for now. just need to get the time in practicing
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:28 PM
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,017 Posts
You and me both. most of my stuff is just done with templates and stencils, with a little bit of half arsed shading. I am not that worried about it. It is mostly for orientation and to keep them from being boring anyway. By the way. I probably lost my place in the thread here a little bit. I have four of the HF air brushes, not the HK ones.

Rob...
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:41 PM
Silicon/poker/chocolate chips
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2008
1,376 Posts
Createx paint sources

Where is a good place to buy Createx paint? I went to my local Michaels today (Austin, TX) and they didn't have any. I even asked an employee. Where next? Hobby Lobby? Walmart?

I did search this thread a little and saw that HL was closing it out in November someplace in the country. I forgot to see what state that was...

Will (nearly) any acrylic paint airbrush well? Which other paints work or do not work well?
Chip Geek is offline Find More Posts by Chip Geek
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:43 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,323 Posts
I got mine from Michaels or Hobby Lobby. But note they are by the airbrush supplies usually, not the acrylic paint isle.
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Mar 08, 2012, 04:25 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
I got mine from Michaels or Hobby Lobby. But note they are by the airbrush supplies usually, not the acrylic paint isle.
I got some at Michael's before Christmas but it was in the discount section and I wondered if they were discontinuing it. I've had reasonable results using the Wal-Mart paints but the selection wasn't great, especially if you need multiple bottles of a single color but at $1.50/bottle, you can take a shot and try it out. I'm finally going to have a painting session this weekend since I got my masks done today. My biggest issue is figuring out the right consistency and pressures
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:04 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,753 Posts
i buy one bottle at a time from Michaels with the 40% coupon. but the best prices are online at either coastairbrush.com or chicago airbrush supply. they have the full line in sizes from 2oz to quarts and are much cheaper.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:16 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
i buy one bottle at a time from Michaels with the 40% coupon. but the best prices are online at either coastairbrush.com or chicago airbrush supply. they have the full line in sizes from 2oz to quarts and are much cheaper.

Azarr
Thanks, good to know. I figured it had to come in bigger sizes. i will report back on how my lasercut stencils work out
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:23 PM
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,017 Posts
Micheal's has dropped the line but will not tell me what they intend to replace it with. I can still get it at Hobby Lobby stores and they now carry a small sample of the Wicked Colors paints as well. I think I will place an order at Coast Air Brush, nice pricing. Thanks for the link Azarr.

Rob...
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:11 AM
Joined Jan 2000
7,753 Posts
sorry, I broke my wrist in a freak accident and was doped up at the time, meant Hobby Lobby. Our Michaels has dropped Createx and has a sign saying new airbrush coming in the spring.

Azarr
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:32 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
sorry, I broke my wrist in a freak accident and was doped up at the time, meant Hobby Lobby. Our Michaels has dropped Createx and has a sign saying new airbrush coming in the spring.

Azarr
Sorry to hear about the break. Full break or just a hairline? Hope it heals quick.

I ordered a bunch of Createx from coastairbrush.com. in quantity it gets to a buck or less an ounce. and shipping was reasonable. Thanks for the pointer.

I had good success with the lasercut stencils. I have some pictures but will post in a few days when I have the plane actually assembled. The tabbed sheets don't show the full effect. I am painting the full tabbed sheets as they come out of the lasercutter. I put alignment holes in all the layers and had the paint as a separate set of layers on the CAD drawings which tied everything together nicely. I need to work on drying better between layers but I'm very pleased for a first attempt
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:21 AM
Joined Jan 2000
7,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Sorry to hear about the break. Full break or just a hairline? Hope it heals quick.

I ordered a bunch of Createx from coastairbrush.com. in quantity it gets to a buck or less an ounce. and shipping was reasonable. Thanks for the pointer.
Unfortunately a full break. See the Ortho guy on Tue. looks like 8weeks or so to heal.

if you get on both email lists for Coast and Chicago AB they have sales on paint every once in a while and 10-15% discount codes

Azarr
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:31 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately a full break. See the Ortho guy on Tue. looks like 8weeks or so to heal.
That sucks. Pins and such also? Good luck with it.

Quote:
if you get on both email lists for Coast and Chicago AB they have sales on paint every once in a while and 10-15% discount codes

Azarr
Good tip. For now I got some of the flourescents and black as that is what I was using. I really liked the dual action Hobby King brush I got back at Christmas (finally tried it). Shame it's always out of stock. I need a better respirator mask that is more beard friendly
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:30 PM
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,017 Posts
Quote:

Azarr
Done!

Thanks again Azarr.
Rob...
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:00 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
The Hobby King Dual action airbrush is back in stock this morning. I picked up a backup/spare, In case anyone is looking for one. The one thing i liked better than the harbor Freight one is the cup on it is attached and has a cover so there is no contortion holding the cup in place while spraying. it also seemed easier to fully clean to me. now I need to get a rack to hold the brushes. That might be a HF thing. I already have a 3 way manifold on my compressor
RCG Plus Member