HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by adreher, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:42 PM
Joined Jun 2010
43 Posts
I use the HF airbrush also, dual action for under $15, can't beat it. Make sure you keep it clean.

pajlotmato, Very nice, I can't believe it's EPP!
scot88 is offline Find More Posts by scot88
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:51 PM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
But what kind/brand of compressors are you guys using? I almost broke down several times and was going to get the airbrush/compressor combo that they frequently have on sale for like $69.00 but all the reviews I ever read about the compressors were that they were garbage. Wouldn't keep constant pressure etc., for more than a few sprays or what ever. Anyone having success with any of the HF compressors? Inquiring minds want to know.

-B
Olias is offline Find More Posts by Olias
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:27 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,022 Posts
I had one of the HF constant run units for a while and it worked acceptably I guess. It got ridiculously hot and had to be allowed to cool regularly or it would stink up the room. I suppose I would rate it as OK but not great. I have a Paasche now and it works fine.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:34 PM
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,022 Posts
By the way, anybody have any advice on painting over black EPP? I have tried laying down a coat of white, even Krylon primer then white but the results are not what I would like to see.

Rob...
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined Jun 2010
43 Posts
I have the HF combo, airbrush and compressor. Works better than a big compressor with the regulator turned way down. Way more control with the airbrush compressor. I bought a regulator to put on the airbrush compressor but haven't yet, need to figure out what fittings are needed. I haven't had any problems with the HF AB compressor yet, done three planes with it so far

Black EPP, haven't had any yet but I can only guess that what ever you find to cover up the black will be pretty heavy.
scot88 is offline Find More Posts by scot88
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:30 PM
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,022 Posts
Completely possible that I had a bad unit form HF. Never bothered to do anything with it after getting the Paasche. Ended up giving it to a friend.

My results with the black EPP are better then I expected. It looks much better after adding the rest of the colors. When it was just the white it looked terrible. I ended up with two light coats of Krylon gray primer and then a few coats of Createx opaque white. Looks OK.

Rob...
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:37 AM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
mxspode,

how about sharing with us how you got the "raised letter look".

Looks really good, BTW.

aerolite
aerolite is offline Find More Posts by aerolite
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:38 PM
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,022 Posts
It is just a couple of hand cut stencil's using cheap stencil film. I just print out the design on regular paper and tape it to my cutting board. Then tape the stencil over it and cut out one color from each page. I usually try to cut the non black a little wide were it connects to the black so I get an overlap. This makes for a little less clean up latter. The shading on the red is done by hand. Frankly that was not my best effort, my hands were shaking like made so the shading is not the best. Looks good from a distance though so it will do.

I don't know if this is the proper way to do it but it works for me. I suppose it is similar to the silk screen process, laying down one color at a time. This one is only two colors (saves me a bunch of time). My previous one was four setups and much more annoying.

Rob...
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:59 AM
Total Noob
United States, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Nov 2008
542 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll give that HF setup a go. I'll use my delwat compressor... so hopefully that hose will fit with the adapters.
bkboggy is offline Find More Posts by bkboggy
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:20 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkboggy View Post
Thanks guys, I'll give that HF setup a go. I'll use my delwat compressor... so hopefully that hose will fit with the adapters.
HF had all the adapters I needed to get the airbrush hose to fit right onto my airtool quick disconnect. you'll do fine, just dial the compressor back to the 25-50 PSI level (they also sell inline regulators)
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RA Cores Yak 55 Review
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:16 AM
Callsign: Jolly Roger
Ridgecrest California
Joined Jun 2006
589 Posts
If you've the budget this setup gives you on Bench control of your airflow and six dual action airbrushes. Unfortunately the price has recently gone up.

http://www.harborfreight.com/profess...der-95923.html
MyDigitalParadis is offline Find More Posts by MyDigitalParadis
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:38 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDigitalParadis View Post
If you've the budget this setup gives you on Bench control of your airflow and six dual action airbrushes. Unfortunately the price has recently gone up.

http://www.harborfreight.com/profess...der-95923.html
Can you get good results with the syphon feed brushes? I was never fully happy with my old badger setup but some of that might have been the propel cans
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RA Cores Yak 55 Review
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:49 AM
Ridgecrest California
Joined Jun 2006
589 Posts
I usually use a cup and plan to simply order some cups to go with the brushes. I think the siphon setup is as that the carosel is meant for large amounts of airbrushing. I later hope to get a higher quality airbrush or two to add to the carosel but thus far my painting skills (or lack there of) do not require the higher quality brushes and this allows me to setup base colors in a bottle or two and fin colors in my Pasche.

As for cans I use a compressor and have never had an issue with siphon setups. (the Pasche is a siphon setup with multiple bottles and one siphon cup.)
Old Feb 29, 2012, 01:09 PM
Total Noob
United States, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Nov 2008
542 Posts
Wooh, no, not at this time, heh A little too much. I'll go with the $30 setup. Especially since I'll be learning for the first year anyways.
bkboggy is offline Find More Posts by bkboggy
Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:14 PM
Ridgecrest California
Joined Jun 2006
589 Posts
I hear you on that. I've a one dual action and a one single action brush at this time and I've been controlling the pressure at the compressor.