HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by adreher, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 06:13 AM
Joined Nov 2005
496 Posts
these paint jobs are great, Igoing to have a go very sooooon, keep them coming guys
Jiffy is offline Find More Posts by Jiffy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2009, 09:20 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,465 Posts
I love building models with foam. It is the ideal medium for building models.

But I hate the way foam looked no matter how much I painted it. After a few trips to the flying field, it had dents and dings all over it, and it got dirty pretty soon with no way to really clean it.

About 2 years ago I started experimenting with ways to make foam not look like foam or behave like foam. Here are two before and after pictures of a kit I am working on. It is made from white Styrofaom, but the finished fuselage looks nothing like foam. It does not dent as easily and can be washed with soap and water. It can be painted with most paints, including solvent based automotive paints.

awrightbrother is online now Find More Posts by awrightbrother
Old Feb 21, 2009, 12:28 AM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,323 Posts
Ive got my i3d about half painted now, thanks for all the tips n videos...it really helped! I'll post another when its done.
Hornetnz is online now Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Feb 22, 2009, 09:01 AM
Live to fly.. Fly to live
Ionia, Michigan
Joined Nov 2008
167 Posts
You don't mention your trick LOL

[QUOTE=awrightbrother]I love building models with foam. It is the ideal medium for building models.

But I hate the way foam looked no matter how much I painted it. After a few trips to the flying field, it had dents and dings all over it, and it got dirty pretty soon with no way to really clean it.

About 2 years ago I started experimenting with ways to make foam not look like foam or behave like foam. Here are two before and after pictures of a kit I am working on. It is made from white Styrofaom, but the finished fuselage looks nothing like foam. It does not dent as easily and can be washed with soap and water. It can be painted with most paints, including solvent based automotive paints.

Hey.. That looks good. But Unless I missed it how do you get it to take the paint without hurting the foam??

It would be greatly appreciated I know I would .. Thanks in Advance

The Oldguy
Oldguy1999 is offline Find More Posts by Oldguy1999
Old Feb 22, 2009, 09:48 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,465 Posts
Liquid Sheeting

Hi Old Guy,

The fuselage is not painted yet. It is covered with Liquid Sheeting that cures to a off white almond color, then you paint over it. It is resistant to solvent based paints. Here is an example of a wing sample I did to practice. One end is painted with Krylon red spray can paint. The rest is unpainted. Under the Liquid Sheet is just plain old Styrofoam.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:07 AM
canton, mi
Joined Apr 2006
83 Posts
Liquid Sheeting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awrightbrother
Hi Old Guy,

The fuselage is not painted yet. It is covered with Liquid Sheeting that cures to a off white almond color, then you paint over it. It is resistant to solvent based paints. Here is an example of a wing sample I did to practice. One end is painted with Krylon red spray can paint. The rest is unpainted. Under the Liquid Sheet is just plain old Styrofoam.
What is Liquid Sheeting? Where can I get it? What, besides your foam planes, is it used for? Does it add much weight? I think that is enough questions for now. Nice work, keep it up.
garybee is offline Find More Posts by garybee
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:10 AM
Alabaster AL
Joined Aug 2006
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garybee
What is Liquid Sheeting? Where can I get it? What, besides your foam planes, is it used for? Does it add much weight? I think that is enough questions for now. Nice work, keep it up.
He is a site sponsor, click the link to his website under his name and it will take you there.

http://www.wowplanes.com/

RCNXS
rcnxs is offline Find More Posts by rcnxs
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:24 AM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,323 Posts
That stuff is swanky!
Hornetnz is online now Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:46 AM
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2008
619 Posts
Windex / alchohol trick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy
From my years in the Autobody industry i came to learn that thinning paints is more a experiment then it is a simple direction some times. Years ago they made viscosity meters, which was a scoop with a small hole in the bottom and you were supposed to time how long it took the paint to drain....BLAH It's all about how the paint sprays when it comes out of the tip. I got to the point I could tell if it was thinned correctly by the sound of the paint coming out, I know Adam <adreher> knows this sound I am refering to.

Different color paints often can be thicker or thinner then others, rquiring different amounts of thinning. Some painting styles may require you under of over thin to get the paint to do what you want it too.

Trial and error and always have a scrap of foam for a test panel, after a while it will start to click.

I have to say I like the Windex/alcohol thinning tricks, the 2 products evaporate or "flash" faster then water so the dry time is shorter.

I am getting ready to paint my newest i3D build, keep the tricks coming! You guys have some great looking work.
Ron
I haven't seen this one. Is there a thread on it...or is this just simply thin with windex or alchohol...or windex with Ammonia ?
gittarpikk is offline Find More Posts by gittarpikk
Last edited by gittarpikk; Feb 22, 2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: sp
Old Feb 22, 2009, 02:15 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garybee
Hello Graybee,

Liquid Sheeting is a 2 part liquid that is simply brushed on to a foam surface. There is a lot of info at http://www.wowplanes.com/product_inf...roducts_id=130

If you want to read the Instructin Manual, click the "Instruction Manual" link on that page.

If you still have question, feel free to ask.

Fahim
Old Feb 22, 2009, 05:10 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,465 Posts
BTW, here is a thread of someone finishing our B25 in Liquid Sheeting.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post11645639
Old Feb 23, 2009, 09:06 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Foam Paint

Using Krylon craft paint which is foam safe and the coverage is far better than the hobby store paints, which are specifically for Lexan or other plastic. Try to use as minimal as possible, weight is everything, but I just hate to see a white piece of foam in the air. Next foamy will be using black foam and no paint job, want to build a Slofly28 thats under 5oz w/bat.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:38 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Just wanted to thank you for this thread and let you know we mentioned this thread and how great the instructional vids are on the latest episode of ATTF #83. My neighbor picked up the cheap $16 airbrush from harbor freight today, and I plan on getting one myself this week and will start using this method soon.

I have a question as well. I have a bud with a vinyl cutter, but I don't think it will cut the poster board due to thickness. Anyone out there using a CNC / printer style cutter to make templates? If so, what are you using and any tips on where to get one? I don't mind doing it the manual way, but having a cutter that you could hook to the PC/Mac would be wicked, accurate and very flexible.

Thanks again!
Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Feb 23, 2009, 11:10 PM
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
USA, KY, West Liberty
Joined Jun 2001
1,154 Posts
The Phlatprinter handles this task very well. Check out www.phlatforum.com

Mark demonstrates some stencils he cut out of poster board on his Phlatty.

HERE <-- is a link to the thread with video.
7up is offline Find More Posts by 7up
Old Feb 23, 2009, 11:58 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7up
The Phlatprinter handles this task very well. Check out www.phlatforum.com

Mark demonstrates some stencils he cut out of poster board on his Phlatty.

HERE <-- is a link to the thread with video.
obvious!!! Didn't even consider it, but that is the perfect answer. I have to get my phlatty going soon.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs