HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by adreher, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 07:57 AM
Tom Bass Park RC Nonconformist
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2007
923 Posts
This is the best sticky... ever!!

Besides the free plans one..

Anyways, When painting with rattle cans on bluecor FFF and applying blue painters masking tape... How do you keep the film and or paint from peeling away when detaping?
Cdr.Instigator is offline Find More Posts by Cdr.Instigator
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2009, 08:24 AM
Wichita, KS
Joined Aug 2007
458 Posts
Vanish, looks good, keep us updated on the finished product.

Cdr.Instigator,

never painted on that material. My best guess would be to get the lowest tack tape they have (i think it's light purple). Make sure paint is very dry before you tape on top of it.
adreher is offline Find More Posts by adreher
Old Jan 27, 2009, 06:18 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,192 Posts
This is great information, thanks to all.

I picked up a cheap airbrush from Harbor Freight awhile back but have only experimented with it a bit

I would really appreciate some input on paints and thinning. I believe I've read that Windex works good or possibly alcohol.

So what's best to thin with and how do you know how much thinning to do?

Also what paint to buy and where to get it cheapest?

Thanks in advance

RdJay
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
Old Jan 27, 2009, 06:35 PM
"I Am The Animal!" in training
Winston-Salem, NC
Joined Sep 2008
1,008 Posts
i just did up an f-22 all pretty with arctic camo! came out great! to get the crisp, but wavy tape lines, i laid out a long strip of tape on a metal ruler, the cut it all wavy down the middle with a x-acto! it worked great! the pics are in my blog
helifryer is offline Find More Posts by helifryer
Last edited by helifryer; Jan 27, 2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:27 AM
Fulton, NY
Joined Mar 2008
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjay
This is great information, thanks to all.

I picked up a cheap airbrush from Harbor Freight awhile back but have only experimented with it a bit

I would really appreciate some input on paints and thinning. I believe I've read that Windex works good or possibly alcohol.

So what's best to thin with and how do you know how much thinning to do?

Also what paint to buy and where to get it cheapest?

Thanks in advance

RdJay
I agree with rdjay. we need more in depth info on the paints and thinning. I bought some folk art acrylic paint from wally. great colors to choose from but it's a heavy thick paint. Say's waterbase so thin with water/windex? Heavy pigmentation, particals too big for airbrush use?
xj35s is offline Find More Posts by xj35s
Old Jan 28, 2009, 05:51 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj35s
I agree with rdjay. we need more in depth info on the paints and thinning. I bought some folk art acrylic paint from wally. great colors to choose from but it's a heavy thick paint. Say's waterbase so thin with water/windex? Heavy pigmentation, particals too big for airbrush use?
From my years in the Autobody industry i came to learn that thinning paints is more a experiment then it is a simple direction some times. Years ago they made viscosity meters, which was a scoop with a small hole in the bottom and you were supposed to time how long it took the paint to drain....BLAH It's all about how the paint sprays when it comes out of the tip. I got to the point I could tell if it was thinned correctly by the sound of the paint coming out, I know Adam <adreher> knows this sound I am refering to.

Different color paints often can be thicker or thinner then others, rquiring different amounts of thinning. Some painting styles may require you under of over thin to get the paint to do what you want it too.

Trial and error and always have a scrap of foam for a test panel, after a while it will start to click.

I have to say I like the Windex/alcohol thinning tricks, the 2 products evaporate or "flash" faster then water so the dry time is shorter.

I am getting ready to paint my newest i3D build, keep the tricks coming! You guys have some great looking work.
Ron
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:35 AM
Wichita, KS
Joined Aug 2007
458 Posts
Hey guys,

Ron, you are right on the money. Thinning is based on a lot of things. The brand of paint, color, type, your psi, airgun, painting styles and so on. I do almost all of my thinning with rubbing alcohol. I buy the largest container I can find at walmart (like 3 bucks for a good sized bottle), I use it for the exact reason you said Ron, dries quicker and I just like it more for some reason (more than just water, never tried windex)

As far as how I tell if my paint is thin enough, well, it is a pretty in depth scientific process. I open the bottle, put my thumb over the hole, and shake it. Then I look at the paint on my thumb. If it doesn't move, it needs to be thinner. I do this process until the paint will run down my thumb at a nice speed, to fast, too thin, too slow, too thick. From there you can just figure out your preference of how thin is good. You will also notice that if your paint is too thin, when you go to spray it the paint that is deposited first will continue to get pushed around by the air that is coming behind it, and you won't be able to make a nice line. Make sense?
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:53 AM
Joined Jan 2009
16 Posts
Flying is a gamble

Just psting my pictures of my slofly 28 . All the work was done with sharpie pens.I blended the red and the black to do the shading work.Hope you all like it.............mark
mark starks is offline Find More Posts by mark starks
Old Jan 28, 2009, 01:41 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,192 Posts
Ron/Adam

Thanks for the thinning tips. Sounds like trial and error. Was hoping for a the easy way out (like always). I've done a bit of painting machinery with a spray gun and enamel so what you are saying makes sense. Will have to experiment.

How about some tips on where to get paint for the best price?

Mark, amazing sharpie job, bet that took some time!

RdJay
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
Old Jan 28, 2009, 02:56 PM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Mark,

You must have the patience of a saint That must have taken forever!! Great job!
werlec is offline Find More Posts by werlec
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:32 AM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,277 Posts
I am building a airplane out of the PB III foam. I am using some of the acrylic paints from Wal Mart thinned down so they go through my airbrush. Would you take the thin plastic skin off of the FFF before painting?

Thanks,
Ray
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old Jan 31, 2009, 08:30 PM
Wichita, KS
Joined Aug 2007
458 Posts
Posted a video at the beginning about painting metal panels.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:21 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,243 Posts
Thanks Adam! Big help. Now I can do metal panels.
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Old Feb 09, 2009, 10:15 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Apr 2008
1,069 Posts
Come on folks lets see those paint jobs! Here is another FireFly built and painted for my son.

TM
Trouble Maker is offline Find More Posts by Trouble Maker
Last edited by Trouble Maker; Feb 10, 2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 07:04 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,555 Posts
Here's my latest and probably best attempt at painting. Thanks for the paint lessons Adam!

The paint only added 1.6 grams!

I think the actual painting was less time consuming then the template making.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather