HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by adreher, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 09:02 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Ok I couldn't find Future. I will look else where.
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:09 PM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
Using metal washers to weight templates

fly4fun,

here is a post that demonstrates how I use washers to weight my templates. Works great, no holes in the foam, and allows the patterns to be reused numerous times.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=530

aerolite
aerolite is offline Find More Posts by aerolite
Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:22 PM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Sep 2009
445 Posts
Future at ACE hardware

I found it at my ACE hardware store. Looked a lot of other places before finding it at ACE. Maybe Walmart?

While searching for Future floor finish online I came up with this site that had some other modeling uses for Future and some other world wide information about the product. FWIW

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

Crashmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4fun View Post
cgetman02 is offline Find More Posts by cgetman02
Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:30 PM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Sep 2009
445 Posts
There is this option for Future also

http://www.amazon.com/SC-Johnson-111...tag=dogpile-20

I noticed they sell it in combination with some modeling airbrush books.

Again FWIW, Crashmaster

Another modeling site about uses for Future:

http://www.ndrr.com/rmr_faq/Models/Future-Floor-Wax.htm
cgetman02 is offline Find More Posts by cgetman02
Last edited by cgetman02; Oct 13, 2010 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Added another site
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:58 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Thanks for the Replies.

Cheff Scott Im building with Fan Foam.

aerolite Good Idea but my Plane is built and the washers would slid off.

Crashmaster I will check ACE. I done spending alot of Money on MinWax if I don't have too.

So I purchased low tacky repositioning Spray Adhesive. I gave it a try and it works good with Poster Board. No sticky residue left behind when the template was removed from the FFF. I will do some further testing tonight and actually paint something.

Thanks.

David
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:53 PM
Hold my Beer and watch this!
USA, MA, Brockton
Joined Sep 2007
291 Posts
Hi All,

I got to try out my Harbor Freight Deluxe airbrush for the first time this weekend. I painted some flames on half the wing of my 40" DW Juka. Not bad for the first time I have ever tried an airbrush. Couple of questions. I thinned the paint about 50/50 with blue window washer fluid, it sprayed nicely but I think I thinned it a little too much, any comments? I was spraying at about 30psi and that seemed to be too much pressure, what do you all set your PSI at? And lastly, the airbrush only came with one bottle for the paint, where can I get more bottles that will fit my brush?

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this list. It certainly helped me get this far and I find airbrushing to be a lot of fun
silent_guru is offline Find More Posts by silent_guru
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:21 PM
Trolls more than he flys.
USA, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Sep 2009
1,880 Posts
this is a pretty good airbrush.
What kind of paint do you use? with createx airbrush paint (the best) you don't need to thin at all. I keep my psi around 45 psi. I do not know where you could get another paint jar, maybe try a craft shop like Hobby Lobby. FYI, it is easier to paint with the other jar, the little metal one. it is easier to fill, and clean. here Is a plane I painted with this airbrush:
Gringostr is offline Find More Posts by Gringostr
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:29 PM
USA, MA, Brockton
Joined Sep 2007
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airplaneoid View Post
this is a pretty good airbrush.
What kind of paint do you use? with createx airbrush paint (the best) you don't need to thin at all. I keep my psi around 45 psi. I do not know where you could get another paint jar, maybe try a craft shop like Hobby Lobby. FYI, it is easier to paint with the other jar, the little metal one. it is easier to fill, and clean. here Is a plane I painted with this airbrush:
I am using the 99 cent paint from walmart. Wow, 45psi, I am very low then, I will try more pressure tonight. I did try the metal cup but it does not have a cap and I ended up with paint on my sneaker
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:58 PM
Trolls more than he flys.
USA, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Sep 2009
1,880 Posts
ok, Then I have no Idea how to thin it. and when you paint, it is a LOT easier to prop the plane or whatever it is you are painting up on a stand, so it is vertical. that will keep it from spilling.
Gringostr is offline Find More Posts by Gringostr
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:58 PM
Callsign: Jolly Roger
Ridgecrest California
Joined Jun 2006
590 Posts
String up the plane. Airbrushing works best when the brush can stay near horizontal is what I've found in my rather limited experience. Pointing down is is almost always a losing proposition when it comes to the paint siphon.
MyDigitalParadis is offline Find More Posts by MyDigitalParadis
Last edited by MyDigitalParadis; Oct 25, 2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 03:03 PM
USA, MA, Brockton
Joined Sep 2007
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airplaneoid View Post
ok, Then I have no Idea how to thin it. and when you paint, it is a LOT easier to prop the plane or whatever it is you are painting up on a stand, so it is vertical. that will keep it from spilling.
yes, I was painting with the wing propped up. Just forgot It didn't have a cover when I was done
Old Oct 25, 2010, 03:03 PM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
I have an eclipse airbrush, and I use 18 p.s.i. When I move in close for detail work, I drop the pressure to 8 p.s.i. If I use a higher pressure, my templates get blown around, and more overspray.

I realize everyones setup is different, so I'd recommend experimenting with different pressures to see what works best with your equipment.

I also use createx paint, and have never thinned it. It is designed for airbrushes, and works great. It does cost more, but goes a long way.

aerolite
aerolite is offline Find More Posts by aerolite
Old Oct 25, 2010, 05:43 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4fun View Post
Found Future floor polish at Walmart for $6.50. Used it the other day and it works just as good as MinWax via Airbrush. No more buying Expensive Minwax.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:10 AM
Lost in Southwest Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2009
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_guru View Post
And lastly, the airbrush only came with one bottle for the paint, where can I get more bottles that will fit my brush?
Harbor Freight has these bottles which fit the siphon top
http://www.harborfreight.com/airbrus...xer-66446.html.

It only has a screw-top and no siphon, but a nifty turn mixer on the bottom, so I just bought another of the deluxe airbrushes for parts and the extra siphon top/bottle. I rarely use more than two paints at any point in time so this works well for me.
ChefScott is offline Find More Posts by ChefScott
Old Oct 29, 2010, 09:38 PM
Joined Oct 2010
147 Posts
Anybody got any paint ideas for a 3d foamie made of black epp foam?

I'm thinking a tron theme but I've also considered a lightning them and a fire theme.

Also consideration to up vs down visibility.
zeedre is offline Find More Posts by zeedre