SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by adreher, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 03:31 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDigitalParadis View Post
Depron? What did you use for hinges that painted so cleanly?
I just used normal scotch tape(The frosted white type), used 3 strips over lapping them selves,then for added protection from the tape ever lifting i used FS CA glue to seal the edges of the tape. .then applied the base coat and used pre-cut stencils for the Tiger pattern the paint.
I've had my Pasha VL Duel action now for about 10 years.
Another top quality Airbrush.
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2010, 03:05 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,371 Posts
i have read if you rub down your tape with rubbing alcohol before paint it will adhere better , havent gotten around to trying it yet soon though i hope
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Oct 10, 2010, 05:08 PM
Lost in Southwest Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2009
88 Posts
Let the painting begin! I read this entire thread and have made a visit to Harbor Freight and got this:
Airbrush kit
3 gallon 100 psi air compressor

Along with a hose, water trap and some quick release fittings. Went to my local crafts stores, none had any Createx paints but picked up some other acrylics, Apple Barrel and Craft Smart, along with some rubbing alcohol. I think I'll give water a shot first for thinning.
I have not had the chance to use the AB yet, but it seems as good as the Badger I had 20 some years ago. Now to see if any of the skills I once had with an AB are still hiding within me.

I also got my order in on Friday from RCFOAM a nice mix of EPP and depron. Got some plans printed out. Time to start building and painting on Monday after I get my son off to school.
ChefScott is offline Find More Posts by ChefScott
Old Oct 10, 2010, 05:28 PM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Sep 2009
477 Posts
Thinning Createx Paint

Here is a video about thinning Createx for airbrushing. Haven't tried it yet but have found the Pledge Future Shine at ACE hardware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZrmNjQYcdg

FWIW, Crashmaster
cgetman02 is online now Find More Posts by cgetman02
Old Oct 10, 2010, 05:56 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefScott View Post
Let the painting begin! I read this entire thread and have made a visit to Harbor Freight and got this:
Airbrush kit

Along with a hose, water trap and some quick release fittings. Went to my local crafts stores, none had any Createx paints but picked up some other acrylics, Apple Barrel and Craft Smart, along with some rubbing alcohol. I think I'll give water a shot first for thinning.
I have not had the chance to use the AB yet, but it seems as good as the Badger I had 20 some years ago. Now to see if any of the skills I once had with an AB are still hiding within me.

I also got my order in on Friday from RCFOAM a nice mix of EPP and depron. Got some plans printed out. Time to start building and painting on Monday after I get my son off to school.
I have been using this method for thinning apple barrel paints for almost 6 months now ... painting every night.

See liquitex link below

http://www.liquitex.com/Products/addflowaid.cfm

Mcfoamy red/yellow flame http://wmparkflyers.com/McFoamy.aspx

Greg M
WMParkFlyers.com
WMParkFlyer is online now Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:14 PM
electron fly'r
United States, AZ, Green Valley
Joined Jul 2010
59 Posts
Quote:
Airbrush kit

I advise you NOT to use rubbing alcohol, use only denatures. Rubbing has oil in it paint does not stick well.
keithflyer_az is offline Find More Posts by keithflyer_az
Old Oct 12, 2010, 09:53 PM
Joined Jul 2009
88 Posts
Isopropyl Alcohol is what i meant to say, I refer to it as "rubbing alcohol". Sorry for the confusion there.

Here is something nifty I ran across. Yet another use for Pledge Future Acrylic!

Make inexpensive "candy" paints for practice
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:18 AM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Sep 2009
477 Posts
Terrific!

Chefscott, Great link! Another way to use some of the big bottle of Future floor finish. I'll have to give it a try. So many things to do and so little time.

Crashmaster

Quote:
Isopropyl Alcohol is what i meant to say, I refer to it as "rubbing alcohol". Sorry for the confusion there.

Here is something nifty I ran across. Yet another use for Pledge Future Acrylic!

cgetman02 is online now Find More Posts by cgetman02
Old Oct 13, 2010, 08:07 AM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,262 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the link. Good stuff!
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Old Oct 13, 2010, 01:31 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Hello.

It was mentioned several pages ago about holes in FFF when using pins to hold down templates. Is there a better solution for holding down templates without using pins. The airplane I'm air brushing is already built bare FFF.

Thanks.

David
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun
Last edited by fly4fun; Oct 13, 2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 01:53 PM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4fun View Post
Is there a better solution for holding down templates without using pins.
Just some of the other methods I have seen:
- metal surface & magnets
- weights
- double stick tape
- spray adhesive (that is designed to be removable)
balesse is offline Find More Posts by balesse
Old Oct 13, 2010, 02:07 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Thanks Balesse.

This Stuff might work.

Krylon Easy-Tack Repositionable Spray Adhesive

http://www.dickblick.com/products/kr...pray-adhesive/
Old Oct 13, 2010, 04:41 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Is Mop and Glow the same as Future Floor Finish. Can I spray it through my Airbrush and get a Glossy finish.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 08:03 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,735 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Balesse.

This Stuff might work.

Krylon Easy-Tack Repositionable Spray Adhesive

http://www.dickblick.com/products/kr...pray-adhesive/

If your template is depron ... test this on scraps first ... it might melt the depron.
WMParkFlyer is online now Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2010, 09:38 PM
Joined Jul 2009
88 Posts
Quote:
Is Mop and Glow the same as Future Floor Finish. Can I spray it through my Airbrush and get a Glossy finish.
Best I can tell, no Mop and Glow is different. Whereas the Pledge Future is water and an acrylic base (with formaldehyde too, go figure! ). I googled the MSDS for each and there is more "stuff" in MnG.

Here is a link to a lot of information on Future and other formulations worldwide.
http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

And this page has some good information on the venerable Harbor Freight Deluxe Airbrush:
http://airbrushtips.110mb.com/Harbor...0Airbrush.html