HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by adreher, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 02:34 PM
Joined Apr 2010
117 Posts
CaptainGeek, do you use blue masking tape during the painting process or some other type of masking material? Also, do you put any kind of primer down before masking?
mpthompson is offline Find More Posts by mpthompson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2010, 03:18 PM
Joined Oct 2004
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpthompson View Post
Once paper is removed from DollarTree foam board there is a very thin smooth skin over the foam.
I use the rubbing alcohol method to remove the paper from DollarTree foamboard and it leaves no residue at all. The secret is to get the paper completely wet with the alcohol, then wait until it dries completely before trying to remove the paper. If you don't let it dry completely the paper will separate and leave some of it on the foam.
adamdb is offline Find More Posts by adamdb
Old Jul 08, 2010, 03:54 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
Quote:
CaptainGeek, do you use blue masking tape during the painting process or some other type of masking material? Also, do you put any kind of primer down before masking?
I use blue masking tape no problem. it sounds like yours is really sticky. here's a trick - tape the masking tape to a smooth surface and remove before applying. that will lesson its ability to stick and tear up your foam. you can stick it and reapply as many times as necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamdb View Post
I use the rubbing alcohol method to remove the paper from DollarTree foamboard and it leaves no residue at all. The secret is to get the paper completely wet with the alcohol, then wait until it dries completely before trying to remove the paper. If you don't let it dry completely the paper will separate and leave some of it on the foam.
I use LA's awesome cleaner to remove the paper then clean with alchohol before painting.
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Jul 08, 2010, 07:38 PM
Joined Apr 2010
117 Posts
OK, thanks. I've use both LA Awesome and Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol with good success for completely removing the paper. It's the thin, smooth foam skin that the blue masking tape is sticking to and removing when I lift the tape. I'll try the trick of reducing the tackiness of the tape on another smooth surface.

Strange that others using DollarTree foam board haven't experienced the same problems with the thin foam skin coming up. Scratching my head on that one.
Old Jul 09, 2010, 12:33 AM
Joined Oct 2004
450 Posts
Quote:
It's the thin, smooth foam skin that the blue masking tape is sticking to and removing when I lift the tape.
Hmm..., now that you mention it I guess maybe I shouldn't have spoke up so soon. I normally leave the paper on, and when I have taken it off I haven't put masking tape on the slick foam surface to see how it responds. Looks like I have something else to try.
adamdb is offline Find More Posts by adamdb
Old Jul 09, 2010, 04:13 AM
Joined Apr 2010
117 Posts
Going off some hints in some other threads I'm giving Mod Podge Matte a try. I built up a 3" x 3" x 3" cube with DollarTree foam, used Light Weight Spackle on the seems, sanded it all smooth and applied Mod Podge to two sides and a 50% Water/Mod Podge mix to the others sides. I basically want to see how thin of a Mod Podge I can apply to strengthen the DollarTree foam skin enough to better resist masking tape for painting and toughen it up against minor dings and abrasions, yet keep it as light weight as possible. I also hope that the Mod Podge will help blend together the areas between where I sanded the foam and the other smooth areas where the skin remains on the foam. Left untreated, painting with the latex paints I use seems to really highlight the differences between those areas -- probably because of the difference in smoothness and paint adhesion characteristics between the areas.

So far things look good, but I want to let it cure over night to really see if it works out.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:40 AM
Boooriiiiing.
United States, TX, Roanoke
Joined Sep 2006
1,511 Posts
I've been building combat planes, so I'm keeping my schemes simple (the planes are made to be destroyed, after all).

This is the latest flying wing (still with masking tape on it )

I generally spend maybe 5-10 minutes painting each plane. Here's two of my other wings:

Yeah, the blue one looks like crap, I know For some reason the yellow doesn't show up well in the pic... it's more uniform in person.
MadMonkey572 is online now Find More Posts by MadMonkey572
Old Jul 12, 2010, 01:54 PM
RC Addict
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2006
2,259 Posts
New to airbrushing

After a few years of painting with rattle cans and/or Sharpies, or not painting at all, a few weeks ago I decided to get one of the cheap Harbor Freight airbrush combo kits with the compressor.

I finally had some time to try it out last night on a spare sheet of FFF, and it seems that the secret is definitely in thinning the paint. (I'm using FolkArt craft paints from Walmart.) First, I started out thinning it with water. I made it way too thin and it ran, so I cleaned everything out and started fresh, using rubbing alcohol for faster drying. Although the working pressure on this compressor seems to be only around 20psi, it seems if I thin the paint just enough I can get very good results.

I tried four variations: bare skinned FFF, bare unskinned FFF, and over Minwax Polycrylic on skinned FFF and unskinned FFF. It seems that as long as I thin the paint correctly, I get good results on bare FFF without having to put on a base coat of polycrylic.

I look forward to painting my first model, starting tonight.

@adreher: I read earlier that you used an airbrush to spray on the polycrylic. I was thinking of doing the same on top of the paint because it would be cheaper than the spray cans, but I was concerned about the cleanup. Is soap and water really enough to clean the airbrush afterwards?
anatoly is online now Find More Posts by anatoly
Old Jul 12, 2010, 03:21 PM
Wichita, KS
Joined Aug 2007
458 Posts
I use Windex (the cheap brand from Walmart) for all my cleaning needs. I have a bottle with just water that I spray through to get a lot of the paint out, then use a bottle of just Windex. I will run a whole bottle (I have a suction feed airbrush) through and it works great for me, even with the polycrylic.
adreher is offline Find More Posts by adreher
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:12 AM
*GRAVITY* I hate it :(
USA, CA, Downey
Joined Jan 2010
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreher View Post
Using rattle cans
http://vimeo.com/2889027

short video on painting metal panels
http://vimeo.com/3034547

A good video on thinning your paint.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQJnrmmvGfo

Getting your airbrush to flow well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY1BiXD5JM4

Airbrushing basics, changing colors, disassembly, airbrush
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcPYlO3TYqo

Here is a link to Airbrush Tips youtube site. LOTS of good instructional videos. Thanks rc cal for finding these for us!
Airbrush Tips Youtube site

Good thread with information on airbrushing and laminating film, thanks Lee!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=11

Great tutorial of how to airbrush a foamie. Thanks snap!
airbrushing a foamie

Lots of awesome planes here!
Great foamie paint thread
I just love this entire post you have done a great job! I have a list building of stickies related to scratch building. I put your stickie in the list
anyone can find more data there.Thanks agin for the great job you did on this thread. Ken as I collect more data on painting I will post here.
Thx AGIN
Sparken57 is offline Find More Posts by Sparken57
Old Aug 06, 2010, 05:46 PM
Trolls more than he flys.
USA, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Sep 2009
1,883 Posts
awesome stuff!
Gringostr is offline Find More Posts by Gringostr
Old Aug 10, 2010, 01:38 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,636 Posts
heres my most recent EPP LF Yak55 painted with just spray paint cans
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:10 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,256 Posts
That's some fine painting with raddle cans there flyboy!!! Nice Job!
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Old Aug 10, 2010, 08:49 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,636 Posts
Thanks! And by rattle cans you mean spraypaint right? -Tyler
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:34 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
Thanks! And by rattle cans you mean spraypaint right? -Tyler
Yes. Great job using them. Can you explain your technique?
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign