HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by adreher, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 02:34 PM
Foam alone.
Portsmouth England
Joined Feb 2005
591 Posts
Headless,

All Flyingwings Yak 860's. A friend and I are off to the RC Hotel next week and he's taking a Global 50cc Sukhoi (the foamies are just packing) ready for the advanced party in June. Should be a right laugh, twelve of them prop hanging for the photo shoots! I'll be taking something a little more exotic, maybe a Donatas Sulti from EPP, with a killer paint job - watch this space ;0)
garyholland is offline Find More Posts by garyholland
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hacker Models Cz Vagabond
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2010, 06:11 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyholland View Post
A few airbrush jobs, destined for the RC Hotel Corfu..

Gaz
Very nice Gary,

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Apr 26, 2010, 01:45 PM
Newpaltz, NY
Joined Dec 2009
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyholland View Post
A few airbrush jobs, destined for the RC Hotel Corfu..

Gaz
Wow, what kind of paints are you using?
JMeyers is offline Find More Posts by JMeyers
Old Apr 27, 2010, 01:29 AM
Foam alone.
Portsmouth England
Joined Feb 2005
591 Posts
Cheers guys,

Paint wise, I use mainly Createx or sometimes Tamiya Acrylic. When I first started airbrushing, I messed around with cheap poster paint from a local hobby store and never had much luck with it, as you had to faff around thining it and even then, it constantly blocked the gun. Createx ain't cheap, but for me it's worth the extra money just for the lack of hassle.

Gaz
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2010, 01:43 PM
Newpaltz, NY
Joined Dec 2009
248 Posts
Thanks Gaz, I will keep that in mind.
JMeyers is offline Find More Posts by JMeyers
Old May 02, 2010, 05:41 AM
Joined Mar 2009
238 Posts
Well, I just spent some two hours reading and taking notes. I like to brush on paint,, just me. So Sharpie markers is another way. That sounds OK but what if you need to color a wing all one color ? The sharpie felt is kinda stiff and I find myself making dents in the foam. Maybe I'm in too much of a hurry.

But yesterday, I cut open a black Sharpie just to get the light aluminum tubing to make a muffler for one of my .049 engines.

The paint inside was thick and I just dumped it into the trash and put that outside to gas off.

So it occurred to me, what if you used the Sharpie paint with a bit of foam safe thinner and bottled it for use with a brush ?

Has anyone tried this or will I be the first to report as to how well it works,, or not !

I have a Parkzone Sukhoi that needs some color for visibility in the evenings. Thought I'd try yellow to start with.

I have plans to make an Ugly Stik with the guts of the Sukhoi whenever it gets too beat up. I'm aiming for 15 grams. It's red, white and black. I have super thin decal sheets for the black Maltese crosses. The bare foam would be the white and it's the all red underwing and stab and most of the fuse that's the issue. Scraping a Sharpie over all that delicate Depron has me concerned. I figure rubbing alcohol would be a good, foam safe thinner.

If only my 1mm Depron foam would come in, I could get started.
Andy-W is offline Find More Posts by Andy-W
Old May 02, 2010, 10:41 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,750 Posts
this thread is awesome
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old May 02, 2010, 11:50 PM
RCHN #202
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Nov 2007
733 Posts
The latest project

Just finished my latest effort, I'm relatively happy with the results, as with most things, there are things I would do differently, but still looks ok.
Dowquest is offline Find More Posts by Dowquest
Old May 03, 2010, 09:29 AM
Wichita, KS
Joined Aug 2007
458 Posts
The Fenix

Gary, keep up the good work, I love the creativity and all the new design ideas you have!

Dowquest, looks good!

I recently have been working with Fancy Foam and Brandon Chitty on a design for Brandon's new plane (design by Brandon and Dennis Robbins). I airbrushed a few for Brandon to take to Phoenix. The airbrushed design was then used for the print scheme, with a few changes/improvements by Mike at Fancy Foam. I am really excited to have worked on this and LOVE how this plane fly's and looks. I will post a couple pics of the airbrushed plane and a few of the kit version. I for some reason didn't have any pics of the airbrushed one so all I have are some awesome pictures of it flying taken by Mike Robbins, thanks! (the pictures of Brandon with the plane were taken by "firefighter"). A big thanks to Dennis for the design, Mike Hammel for involving me in the process, Brandon for being the coolest guy ever, and tweaking the design to make it the the crazy awesome plane it is, and letting me paint if for him, and Mike Robbins for the pics!

Here is a link to the kit version:
http://stores.homestead.com/fancyfoa...nix/Detail.bok
adreher is offline Find More Posts by adreher
Last edited by adreher; May 03, 2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old May 03, 2010, 01:05 PM
Joined Mar 2009
238 Posts
Looks like I should have worked backwards on the posts. Just a few pages back was my answer to covering largish areas. Thanks guys, new to this, got lots to learn.
Andy-W is offline Find More Posts by Andy-W
Old May 04, 2010, 05:27 AM
Foam alone.
Portsmouth England
Joined Feb 2005
591 Posts
Adam,

Looks fantastic! Your name in lights atlast then dude ;0)

Gaz
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2010, 09:59 PM
Renton
Joined Jan 2009
78 Posts
Thanks

After watching many of your video I bought a cheap set up to teach myself how to airbrush. I have painted four planes with each growing more difficult. This is my latest paint job. I'm not very good with this but I am getting better. Anyway thanks for your awesome tips and tricks! Seth
sethmattox is online now Find More Posts by sethmattox
Old May 07, 2010, 11:39 AM
Wichita, KS
Joined Aug 2007
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmattox View Post
After watching many of your video I bought a cheap set up to teach myself how to airbrush. I have painted four planes with each growing more difficult. This is my latest paint job. I'm not very good with this but I am getting better. Anyway thanks for your awesome tips and tricks! Seth
I love it! Very nice work
adreher is offline Find More Posts by adreher
Old May 07, 2010, 04:38 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,609 Posts
Not bad sir!
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old May 07, 2010, 11:25 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,741 Posts
Second attempt at airbrushing ... I can't say enough about these videos posted on this thread. They have made a very big difference in my little corner of the world. I am even showing a few club members how to do the same and directing them to this thread as well.

Paint is Apple Barrel Acrylic thinned approx. 50/50 with windex.

Adam, Thanks for all your hard work, it is greatly appreciated to say the least.

Greg M
WMParkFlyers.com
Jenison, Michigan
WMParkFlyer is online now Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member