Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by adreher, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 03:55 PM
Alabaster AL
Joined Aug 2006
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaSaJaRa
I picked up this compressor at Wal-Mart.

Campbell Hausfeld FP2028 - Electric Oil Free Tank Mounted 1 Gallon Air Compressor

seems to work good. I just need to get a better Airbrush. I did add an inline regulator.
Glad to see your doing better from your accident. Come back down to Alabaster R/C sometime and fly if you can. I enjoyed watching you fly your fast wings, you even offered to let me fly your Stryker but I declined.

What airbrush are you using now? I am thinking about starting out with an inexpensive one like the $15.99 harbor Freight one just to see if I can do it, maybe move up to a better one if my skills improve. I am just painting foamies nothing special. Just not wanting to jump into a $100 unit right off the bat. Luckily I have a nice Porter Cable compressor that will run it just fine, so no expense there.

Bob Anderson, President
Alabaster R/C
rcnxs is offline Find More Posts by rcnxs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:11 PM
More props are better than One
United States, AL, Sumiton
Joined Nov 2004
2,155 Posts
Thanks Bob, I have the Harbor Freight dual action. It should do fine if you get the paint thinned right. I think the first time I used cheaper paint and I do believe I would get better results with good paint.

I will come back out that way to fly when the weather gets better.

Later, Craig...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnxs
Glad to see your doing better from your accident. Come back down to Alabaster R/C sometime and fly if you can. I enjoyed watching you fly your fast wings, you even offered to let me fly your Stryker but I declined.

What airbrush are you using now? I am thinking about starting out with an inexpensive one like the $15.99 harbor Freight one just to see if I can do it, maybe move up to a better one if my skills improve. I am just painting foamies nothing special. Just not wanting to jump into a $100 unit right off the bat. Luckily I have a nice Porter Cable compressor that will run it just fine, so no expense there.

Bob Anderson, President
Alabaster R/C
TaSaJaRa is offline Find More Posts by TaSaJaRa
Old Jan 23, 2009, 08:39 AM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Apr 2008
1,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreher
Mark,

Very, very nice job. Checkers look great and I really like the lettering, and the effect in the lettering gives it a great look. What font? I think I might use that lettering on my big firefly.

Like you said, doing the checkers that way does take more time. But like anything, the more time you spend on it, the better it will look.

Great job my young padawan. And keep posting those sweet planes!
Thanks Adam,

"The Master instructs their student to rise and declares him his Padawan". By the way you are not the best looking little critter and a little heavier than you look, my back is starting to hurt do you mind!

TM
Trouble Maker is offline Find More Posts by Trouble Maker
Old Jan 23, 2009, 09:13 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble Maker
Thanks Adam,

"The Master instructs their student to rise and declares him his Padawan". By the way you are not the best looking little critter and a little heavier than you look, my back is starting to hurt do you mind!

TM
rolling on the floor laughing out loud
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Jan 23, 2009, 08:50 PM
Joined Nov 2004
2,155 Posts
More Rattle can painting...

I have done a little painting on my Yak...
I tried a little something different for me, drop shadows to give it that 3D effect.
Even using rattle cans it turned out much better than I expected.

I don't have a video but I did take pics all along the way so you can get an idea how to do this.

I did a template as Adam showed us at the first of this thread.. I chose to do a little paint drip scheme.

Here are the pics and what I was doing in each pic.
Last edited by TaSaJaRa; Jan 25, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 08:59 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Apr 2008
1,069 Posts
TaS,

That looks fantastic especially for rattle cans! I can't wait to see what you can do with your airbrush. I especially like your drop shadow I will have to give that a try.

TM
Old Jan 23, 2009, 09:47 PM
"I Am The Animal!" in training
Winston-Salem, NC
Joined Sep 2008
1,008 Posts
wow! i like that paint scheme! looks great TaS!
helifryer is offline Find More Posts by helifryer
Old Jan 24, 2009, 08:25 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,472 Posts
Tas, very cool. I like the way the shading makes the green look like it is hovering above the yellow.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 08:36 AM
Joined Nov 2004
2,155 Posts
Thanks for the comments Guys... All the tips, tricks, and plans everyone has posted makes it much easier to scratch build and paint with Great results.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 12:05 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,805 Posts
I've asked the moderators to sticky this thread.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jan 24, 2009, 01:39 PM
ewo
Spencer In.USA
Joined Oct 2003
4,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr
I've asked the moderators to sticky this thread.

Azarr
Bout time
I am starting to paint my new plane. Water drops first. then some Lightning bolts.

We will see how i do with the Rattle can. I want an airbrush. But igot, What igot..........

ewo

EDIT HERE:
I will keep updating this post as i complete the paint and the build

Trick #1.... Anyplace you have straight line's, Place other parts that have straight line's togeather. That eliminates some cutting.

ewo
ewo is offline Find More Posts by ewo
Last edited by ewo; Mar 01, 2009 at 07:59 PM. Reason: last of the pictures
Old Jan 24, 2009, 03:03 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Apr 2008
1,069 Posts
Here is my PBF I just finished painting. I wanted to try a dark canopy with a bit of white to give the effect that the sun was reflecting off it. It worked pretty well. I think adreher did it on his Yak but.

TM
Old Jan 24, 2009, 04:37 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble Maker
Here is my PBF I just finished painting. I wanted to try a dark canopy with a bit of white to give the effect that the sun was reflecting off it. It worked pretty well. I think adreher did it on his Yak but.

TM
TM, just plain excellent! The Force is definitely with you. I think the council will be granting you the title of Airbrush Master.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 07:01 PM
Wichita, KS
Joined Aug 2007
458 Posts
Seriously Mark, awesome! You've got it. My work here is done. Now it is time to have a sweet 10 minute long lightsaber fight with one from the dark side.

Ewo, looks cool, keep us updated!

I finally got paint on my firefly xxl.
adreher is offline Find More Posts by adreher
Last edited by adreher; Jan 24, 2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 07:41 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Apr 2008
1,069 Posts
Thanks guys.

Dang it Adam would you stop already every time I turn around you are kicking it up a notch! Great work my friend.

TM