HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by adreher, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 04:42 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreher
Vanish,

Painting an already glued plane is the same techniques, just a lot more tape to make sure everything is covered up, at least that's haw I have had to do it. It is much easier to paint first, but it doesn't always work that way.

Werlec,
Gravity feed as opposed to bottle is just preference. Like Mark has said, they both have their benefits.
It is kind of hard to say about the airbrush in the link. I would hate to say "looks good" and then you have a bad experience with it. I like that is is dual action, I like that the nose has removable pieces and that the back is removable. It looks like it would do ok, but you never know until you get it.

The infneon is a great plane!
Where would someone find a good cheap compressor to work with an airbrush. I'm a total neophyte with airbrushing, so please excuse me if I ask any dumb questions, but I'm assuming that a compressor is a requirement?

Also, I'm a total Infineon freak. I think I've built 4 of them and I have one all cut out and ready for gluing, but I've been debating what to do about painting it. Painting is definitely not a strong point for me.

So now I'm thinking that learning how to paint with an airbrush might be a good thing.

Bob
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2009, 05:37 PM
Flyin Low
Simi Valley, Calif
Joined Nov 2007
229 Posts
The Harbor Freight Airbrush for $15.99 is the unit I used to paint my FireFlyís as seen on the FireFly build thread. It worked good for me using thinned down acrylic paint from Michaelís on around 40 psi.
J-Bird 662 is offline Find More Posts by J-Bird 662
Old Jan 20, 2009, 06:59 PM
"I Am The Animal!" in training
Winston-Salem, NC
Joined Sep 2008
1,008 Posts
hey adam! thanks so much! i used your template technique to paint my first firefly ever, and it looks amazing! i stole the paint scheme from the firefly thread, but whatever. (i wanna say it was trouble makers design...) so thanks a buch! i havent even maidened this one yet, and im already itching to paint another! (BTW, i used a cheap $15 badger airbrush. works wonders for me! so here it is! i really dont want to crash this one ever! (especcially on the maiden! ) so i double checked the CG. (9.5 from nose right?)
thanks again!
Patrick

i think that mine looks a little chukyer, because i used 6 mm depron, not EPP, and i probly used way too much paint. (my rule of thumb is "when in doubt.....use 3 coats of each color! lol)
helifryer is offline Find More Posts by helifryer
Old Jan 21, 2009, 08:23 AM
Wichita, KS
Joined Aug 2007
458 Posts
helifryer,

Looks good! Good to hear that the airbrush is working for you, that one is another good alternative for people.

there are a number of cheap compressors out there. Really anything that can give you a constant 40psi should work fine. Leadfeather got one from harbor freight that he likes (i think) but don't know which one it is. It was nice and quite though.
adreher is offline Find More Posts by adreher
Old Jan 21, 2009, 09:29 AM
Winging it “>
Joined May 2006
9,647 Posts
Here is the compressor I bought from harbor Freight.

air brush compressor

It seems to work OK and as Adam said, it is pretty quiet.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:29 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
When buying a compressor the most important spec is the CFM you need to make sure it is enough for what ever it is your powering. Most air tools will tell you how much CFM is needed to run that tool or sprayer.
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross
Old Jan 21, 2009, 02:42 PM
More props are better than One
United States, AL
Joined Nov 2004
2,163 Posts
I picked up this compressor at Wal-Mart.

Campbell Hausfeld FP2028 - Electric Oil Free Tank Mounted 1 Gallon Air Compressor

seems to work good. I just need to get a better Airbrush. I did add an inline regulator.
TaSaJaRa is offline Find More Posts by TaSaJaRa
Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:35 PM
Fulton, NY
Joined Mar 2008
182 Posts
homw made..

Take an old refridgerator compressor and plumb it into an old tank. can be old propane/ cold water/ extinguisher, or anything that will hold pressure. It's as quiet as your fridge and can build up pressure quickly. You need to make sure you get the power cord with the compressor, they have a unique connector/plug on the pump.
Here is an excellent airbrushing site with lots of tutorials. They too built a compressor...

http://airbrush.com/how-to-guide.asp...toDetail&id=37

Here's a link to a site I just found.

http://www.theworkshop.ca/genwork/Co...compressor.htm

one more, good details and smaller package

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/compressorgi_1.htm

This is better with more detail pictures.
http://www.briansmodelcars.com/tutorials/tutorial/28

xj35s is offline Find More Posts by xj35s
Last edited by xj35s; Jan 24, 2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: added link
Old Jan 21, 2009, 06:03 PM
Wichita, KS
Joined Aug 2007
458 Posts
sweet compressor!

Dan, I tried out your airbrush (from harbor freight). It works really well. The dual action is a must. For 15 bucks it really works nicely. I don't think you will see much of a difference between this airbrush and my airbrush when doing things like painting foam. You will when doing more detailed and delicate things, or more professional projects, but if all you will be doing is painting planes there really is no reason not to get one like this. Just make sure you keep it clean!
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:06 AM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Apr 2008
1,069 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures of my latest FireFly paint job. I wanted to try a couple of new techniques on this one. The waving checkers and the lettering. Making the mask for the waving checkers was a little time consuming but not to bad. The lettering was pretty simple and adds a new twist for my FireFlys.

TM
Trouble Maker is offline Find More Posts by Trouble Maker
Old Jan 22, 2009, 05:58 AM
Winging it “>
Joined May 2006
9,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble Maker
Here are a couple of pictures of my latest FireFly paint job. I wanted to try a couple of new techniques on this one. The waving checkers and the lettering. Making the mask for the waving checkers was a little time consuming but not to bad. The lettering was pretty simple and adds a new twist for my FireFlys.

TM
TM,

That looks absolutely great!

Is the waving checkers mask reusable? Do you have a picture of this mask?
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Jan 22, 2009, 08:27 AM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Apr 2008
1,069 Posts
Leadfeather,

Here are some images of the masks you requested that I post. I would say you could get by with reusing the masks a couple of times. The problem is on the waving checkers you have to keep the corners attached. I found out that using the 3M spray technique that adreher shared works awesome for keeping the edge of the mask down, but when you have a mask such as the waving checkers you have to use great care in removing the mask so you donít rip the corners apart if you plan to reuse it.

On a side note I canít think Adam enough for sharing his tips with the RC community. I can guarantee without his help I would not have been capable of producing anything close to what I am painting now.

TM
Trouble Maker is offline Find More Posts by Trouble Maker
Old Jan 22, 2009, 09:50 AM
Wichita, KS
Joined Aug 2007
458 Posts
Mark,

Very, very nice job. Checkers look great and I really like the lettering, and the effect in the lettering gives it a great look. What font? I think I might use that lettering on my big firefly.

Like you said, doing the checkers that way does take more time. But like anything, the more time you spend on it, the better it will look.

Great job my young padawan. And keep posting those sweet planes!
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:02 AM
USA, KS, Arkansas City
Joined Dec 2004
15 Posts
painting

Adam; Thanks for sharing your expertise. Your artistic skills are matched, or exceeded by your piloting ability. Thanks to all the Wichita bunch for sharing plans and ideas.
Dave Ingalls
davei is offline Find More Posts by davei
Old Jan 22, 2009, 03:29 PM
"I Am The Animal!" in training
Winston-Salem, NC
Joined Sep 2008
1,008 Posts
another vote for sticky !
helifryer is offline Find More Posts by helifryer