SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by adreher, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 02, 2009, 09:02 PM
Joined Aug 2004
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjay
Anyone know where to get the tiny o-ring that seals the tip on the HF air brush?

I've lost mine and it doesn't paint well at all without.

Thanks, RdJay
If you can't fing one, make one. Find an "O" ring of the same thickness, cut a section out of it to make a new one of the diameter you need. Try to cut the end as square as possible and super glue it together....instant "O" ring. Most NAPA stores have "o" ring stock to make them....Hope this helps...You can also make prop saver rings this way.
poweredlawndart is offline Find More Posts by poweredlawndart
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2009, 09:46 AM
Joined Sep 2006
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredlawndart
If you can't fing one, make one. Find an "O" ring of the same thickness, cut a section out of it to make a new one of the diameter you need. Try to cut the end as square as possible and super glue it together....instant "O" ring. Most NAPA stores have "o" ring stock to make them....Hope this helps...You can also make prop saver rings this way.

I know it is off topic but you mentioned prop saver bands ... so you started it

I read somewhere that the replacement rubber tube (surgical tube) for a wrist rocket slingshot is only 2 bucks and makes 150 or so prop saver bands ... cut them 1/8 to 3/16ths of an inch thick. ... a thought if the band is too short ... cut it on a diagonal to make an oval band. ... that one is my idea !!!!
rossmkly is offline Find More Posts by rossmkly
Old May 03, 2009, 03:18 PM
Joined Aug 2004
314 Posts
Cool idea! Will give it a try..............................dart
poweredlawndart is offline Find More Posts by poweredlawndart
Old May 03, 2009, 10:40 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,211 Posts
No luck finding the o-ring at h depot. lowes or a local plumbing supply store. I'll give the cut down idea a try but this thing is "really" small.
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
Old May 07, 2009, 08:55 PM
I Love My Ember!
Arroyo Grande, CA
Joined Jun 2008
1,099 Posts
Had the unfortunate luck to learn this little tip:

Don't thin your acrylic walmart paints with alcohol until you are ready to use them. I left mine thinned for a couple of days in sealed containers, and when I went to use them, they had all kinds of globs of paint that clogged my airbrush.
mikebergy is offline Find More Posts by mikebergy
Old May 08, 2009, 08:23 AM
Joined May 2008
158 Posts
I saw it is possible to use "canned air" instead of a compressor.

Since I'm in need of very little use and the finest quality is not that important for me I would prefer that instead of buying a compressor which takes up space.

Something along the following : http://cgi.ebay.com/NEIKO-AIR-BRUSH-...3286.m20.l1116

1. Is it possible?
2. Is the quality reasonable?
3. Can I use any airbrush or need special airbrush?
4. Any specific recommended airbrushes and 'canned air' that are known to work well?
ayash is offline Find More Posts by ayash
Last edited by ayash; May 08, 2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old May 08, 2009, 09:36 AM
Callsign: Jolly Roger
Ridgecrest California
Joined Jun 2006
597 Posts
If you are going with something along that line have a look at these.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47791
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93506
or
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95810

However going with canned air can get expensive real quick. If you try it and find it adding up too quick do not, repeat DO NOT! buy a small compressor without a tank. I did and it's useless.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92403
Is the one I got and you get 30 PSI for about half a second. Get one with a tank!!
MyDigitalParadis is offline Find More Posts by MyDigitalParadis
Old May 08, 2009, 09:50 AM
Joined May 2008
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDigitalParadis
If you are going with something along that line have a look at these.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47791
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93506
or
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95810

However going with canned air can get expensive real quick. If you try it and find it adding up too quick do not, repeat DO NOT! buy a small compressor without a tank. I did and it's useless.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92403
Is the one I got and you get 30 PSI for about half a second. Get one with a tank!!
Is the airbrush special for canned air? Or do all airbrushes fit and I can later just add the compressor?

So what compressor should I get? Cheap, small and quiet?
ayash is offline Find More Posts by ayash
Old May 08, 2009, 11:18 AM
I Love My Ember!
Arroyo Grande, CA
Joined Jun 2008
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayash
Is the airbrush special for canned air? Or do all airbrushes fit and I can later just add the compressor?

So what compressor should I get? Cheap, small and quiet?
I have a small craftsman compressor, and it gets the job done well, but it is not quiet. If you want a quiet one, just get a compressor with a big tank, then it will never come on.
Old May 08, 2009, 11:38 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,541 Posts
Since I have a larger compressor, Iv'e opted for the 5 gallon air tank from Habor Frieght. Got it on sale for $20. Just added a regulator to the output.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old May 08, 2009, 12:49 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,211 Posts
I've still having no luck finding the small o-ring on the tip of the dual action harbor freight airbrush. Tried 4 local plumbing/hardware stores and nothing that small. Tried "trimming" one down with a razor blade, no luck.

McMaster Carr has small ones listed but I'm not sure of the size. If someone would be kind enough to measure the o-ring and post the size here it would be most appreciated. The OD, ID and cross section are how they are sold but I think if I can get two of those dimensions I can figure it out.

BTW - don't soak the tip in acetone to clean, the o-ring stretches out of shape. Mine just fell off and that's how I lost it. Would love to find a source to have some spares on hand. It just doesn't paint right without it.

Thanks, RdJay
Old May 08, 2009, 12:56 PM
I Love My Ember!
Arroyo Grande, CA
Joined Jun 2008
1,099 Posts
Have you tried wrapping a little bit of teflon tape around the threads? Maybe that would work.
Old May 08, 2009, 02:44 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebergy
Have you tried wrapping a little bit of teflon tape around the threads? Maybe that would work.
Tried it, helped but still doesn't seal completely.
Old May 09, 2009, 11:30 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
What is the paint consistency supposed to be? I'm using some Faskolor paints and having difficulty getting a steady flow. Also what is the typical PSI you're running?
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old May 09, 2009, 11:53 AM
I Love My Ember!
Arroyo Grande, CA
Joined Jun 2008
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky
What is the paint consistency supposed to be? I'm using some Faskolor paints and having difficulty getting a steady flow. Also what is the typical PSI you're running?
I'm running about 18-20psi

From what I've read, consistency is supposed to be around that of milk. I've not had any trouble with that consistency for the most part. The metallics have been a little more difficult for me, as well as leaving thinned paint in the bottle over night. It seems that I need to thin enough for use, and then toss it when I am done. This works for me since I am using 89 cent paint bottles from walmart, but maybe not for you since Faskolor is a more expensive paint.

Edit: just read the link you posted, and they say to use a higher pressure, because the paint is thicker. .
Last edited by mikebergy; May 09, 2009 at 11:59 AM.