HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by adreher, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 07:46 AM
Alabaster AL
Joined Aug 2006
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danfive0
I know everyone wants there plane to look good, but when you're dealing with foamies every gram counts, believe me. Performance should overtake looks, at least thats my motto. I've built several foamies and gave them all elaborate paint schemes and none of them compare to the ones I've built with no paint at all. I've even gone as far as to shorten every wire as much as I could and using minimal glue as possible, and the results are outstanding. Every gram counts!
I agree, but not everyone cares to fly around a solid while aircraft, how many solid whites do you see at comps?...frankly, if I don't have some color, I can't keep up with it. You don't always have to cover every sq. inch, just some nice contrast to help with the visual orientation. In comps I doubt you would even place without a nice visual appearance, if the judges can't see it, can't score it.

It is nice to have a hobby where you can go from one extreme to the other and still have fun.

My 2cents
RCNXS
rcnxs is offline Find More Posts by rcnxs
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:48 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,183 Posts
Hybrid

Here is my latest build (still in progress) with a combination of paint and marker.

I tried some of the metallic paint for the wings and the results were even better than I expected on epp...almost looks like metal.

The silver and red were done with rattle can spray paint. The black and blue areas were done with magic marker.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Mar 28, 2009, 12:31 PM
Wichita, KS
Joined Aug 2007
456 Posts
Looks great! can't wait to see it fly!
adreher is online now Find More Posts by adreher
Old Apr 01, 2009, 12:43 AM
Team JR
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
1,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreher
Being able to cut templates out with the Phlatprinter would be sweet!

I added links to two videos at the beginning of the thread (had to do it that way this time, dumb technology wouldn't let me do it the normal way). I painted a Fancy Foam model (depron) and went into a little more depth on the "true fire" effect and lettering. (it's not real true fire, just similar methods). This is the paint job the video covers.

I also added a few more pics at the beginning.

Can you give me an idea of the order of color on this paintjob? I would think the brighter colors would go on first.

Thanks..

-Doug
dcronkhite is online now Find More Posts by dcronkhite
Old Apr 01, 2009, 07:13 AM
Wichita, KS
Joined Aug 2007
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcronkhite
Can you give me an idea of the order of color on this paintjob? I would think the brighter colors would go on first.

Thanks..

-Doug
Doug,

Because of how I did this paint job using templates it doesn't really matter which part of the plane you do first. But on specific parts, like the red area, you are correct. It is much easier to make things darker than to make them lighter. There are 2 videos on that paint job at the beginning as well if you want more detail on it.
Old Apr 01, 2009, 05:59 PM
Want to Fly, Have to Work
Orlando, FL
Joined Feb 2003
990 Posts
Cool thread. I just read through this entire thread and I would like to request something that has been asked several times throughout the thread, but no one seemed to really answer the call.

This thread would be even better if there was a one stop place for a listing of all the different types of paint used, both in the airbrushes and in rattle can. This list should be added to the first post at the start of the thread so that it is accessible first by newcomers. So far I've seen mention of Createx, H2O and Testers, maybe others I missed.

Thanks again for the cool info everyone.

- Noel
BeerBatter is offline Find More Posts by BeerBatter
Old Apr 01, 2009, 06:53 PM
Joined Jun 2008
617 Posts
Now for something a bit diffrn't

I did my flightbox with a 3D checkered flag...and have done a flag on My new Superlite Skampy Build (pics coming soon) and wll be doing one on the Allstar Bipe. Then I will airbrush a few t-shirts and a windbreaker and jumpsuit coveralls for an "alltogether" look at the field.. Here ar a few pics of the flightbox (my design) It is my very first airbrush job and with a cheapo Harbor Freigh $9 airbrush and the other $9 dual action they have
gittarpikk is offline Find More Posts by gittarpikk
Last edited by gittarpikk; Apr 01, 2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: add pic
Old Apr 01, 2009, 07:14 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,229 Posts
Looks great for a first time!
You've got talent, you guitar picker.
Be look'in for your other pics.
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Old Apr 02, 2009, 09:12 AM
80s called they want FLA back
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnxs
I agree, but not everyone cares to fly around a solid while aircraft, how many solid whites do you see at comps?...frankly, if I don't have some color, I can't keep up with it. You don't always have to cover every sq. inch, just some nice contrast to help with the visual orientation. In comps I doubt you would even place without a nice visual appearance, if the judges can't see it, can't score it.

It is nice to have a hobby where you can go from one extreme to the other and still have fun.

My 2cents
RCNXS
I don't go to comps so I wouldn't know anything about it, but when I started building foamies I would have never flown a plain white foamie either, until I felt the difference each gram makes. Don't get me wrong, I might paint the cockpit and throw a stripe or two under one of the wings, but I have a case of foam and after a few repairs I'll build a whole new aircraft. There is some rigidness that paint does add to the foam, and I believe it keeps the foam from tearing, but its all about weight, besides i fly my foamies in such small areas that I don't need any visual aid.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Old Apr 06, 2009, 07:00 PM
Wichita, KS
Joined Aug 2007
456 Posts
Danfive0,

That's totally cool if you aren't into painting your planes, but personally (and obviously, I started the thread) I hate a plain white plane. I know that every gram does count, we do all we can to get the weight down, but I'm not willing to give up my paint. But he was right, every gram counts, but I feel if they counted that much then the best pilots out there (Gernot, Andrew, Jason, Mark L, and lots more) would be flying plain white planes. But all of those guys in the top competitions fly painted / printed planes. It's all just personal preference, and if you feel you can tell a difference between a blank plane and one with a 4gram paint job then don't paint them. But for me, my painted planes fly just as good as they would un-painted.

Also, to everyone, I added a few more paint jobs to the beginning of the thread.
Last edited by adreher; Apr 06, 2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2009, 09:26 PM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,142 Posts
I'll take painted any day, it give the plane a whole new look & meaning to it. Besides we always like to see the what someone( Adam) has come up with for a new paint theme.
I really liked my beach scene, even though it was missing the girl in a bikini!!! That has to be my favorite plane to fly, just cause of the paint. it looks so cool in the air.
Thanks Marc
Pixturethis is offline Find More Posts by Pixturethis
Old Apr 06, 2009, 11:07 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,183 Posts
template

I made a template for my F-22 from poster board. Glued on the plans and cut it out with scissors. Then I used the same templates for my painting templates without destroying them for the next build.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Apr 07, 2009, 12:53 PM
Nashua, NH
Joined Nov 2008
174 Posts
Nice Airbrush Compressor

I found a real nice air compressor for my Pascche airbrush.
There is a company called TADD WHOLESALE that runs regular auctions
on E-Bay. I managed to get mine for a total cost of around $50.00,
including shipping. The compressor is made by Central Pneumatic.
Aside from a few scratches, the compressor is perfect. Looks almost
exactly like the item from Harbour Freight. Anyone looking for a compressor
should check this out.
Brian76239 is offline Find More Posts by Brian76239
Old Apr 08, 2009, 01:33 PM
quick, stretch into a monster!
Everett, WA
Joined Apr 2007
978 Posts
the ones from HF are central pneumatic...
Mr.Me is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Me
Old Apr 09, 2009, 08:32 AM
80s called they want FLA back
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreher
Danfive0,

That's totally cool if you aren't into painting your planes, but personally (and obviously, I started the thread) I hate a plain white plane. I know that every gram does count, we do all we can to get the weight down, but I'm not willing to give up my paint. But he was right, every gram counts, but I feel if they counted that much then the best pilots out there (Gernot, Andrew, Jason, Mark L, and lots more) would be flying plain white planes. But all of those guys in the top competitions fly painted / printed planes. It's all just personal preference, and if you feel you can tell a difference between a blank plane and one with a 4gram paint job then don't paint them. But for me, my painted planes fly just as good as they would un-painted.

Also, to everyone, I added a few more paint jobs to the beginning of the thread.
Wow, you can't tell the difference of an extra 4grams? How heavy are you building your foamies? I build mine between 4oz.-4.5oz, so 4 grams is a huge percentage of that.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0