HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by adreher, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:33 PM
Got Foam?
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Sep 2011
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
I found Apple Barrel and FolkArt acrylic ($.57 & $.97 respectively) at Walmart today. Can these be used in an airbrush? Are they a good choice for epp?
I used those on my epp SloFly T28 with artist brushes and they worked great.
mjcmyers is offline Find More Posts by mjcmyers
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:17 PM
United States, MN, Forest Lake
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
yes, I use the cheapest paint I can find. I will thin it with wagner paint easy, and strain the chunks out. It works pretty well for most colors. The white doesn't stick very well if you thin it too much. I shoot it @ 60 psi. I should really get a larger tip.
scaleaddiction is offline Find More Posts by scaleaddiction
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:43 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
So the air compressor I thought I could use is broken so I'm back to rattle cans for the moment. Has anyone used Rust-Oleum PaintPlus 2X on EPP? Not the rust preventer type. This one says it's for plastic and foam.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:01 PM
United States, MN, Forest Lake
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
So the air compressor I thought I could use is broken so I'm back to rattle cans for the moment. Has anyone used Rust-Oleum PaintPlus 2X on EPP? Not the rust preventer type. This one says it's for plastic and foam.
i don't know for sure about EPP but generally foam melts due to the propellant in spraypaint.

test spray on a piece of scrap.
scaleaddiction is offline Find More Posts by scaleaddiction
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:17 PM
TonyS
United States, AR
Joined May 2010
602 Posts
Quote:
Have not used that particular one, but have successfully used three other versions of Rustoleum (2 from spray cans) on EPP. I have also used most of the Krylon spay can paints.

Note that the open-cell nature of EPP causes it to soak up paint. I suggest multiple, very light coats, and don't expect a glossy look for the paint.

TonyS
tonystro is offline Find More Posts by tonystro
Last edited by tonystro; Jul 08, 2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:47 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Cool. I'm reading a lot that most spray paint works safely on EPP with light coats.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:13 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Cool. I'm reading a lot that most spray paint works safely on EPP with light coats.
EPP is pretty tolerant. Depron is the one you need to be careful with
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:41 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Started painting yesterday. A few words to the wise when using spray cans
1) make sure if you use painters tape to mask, when throwing a bit of heat on to dry you make sure the tape is still sticking when you start painting again to prevent over spray under the tape
2) speaking of overspray, if you don't want paint on other parts, move them out of the area. I have a nice orange tint to all my parts and extra foam sheets. Barely noticeable, but I know it's there. Should be fine once I paint them tho'. Worse case I can say I meant to have a slight orange hue.
3) cheaper is not always best. I tried to save a couple dollars on black paint because I figured I wouldn't be using much. Well, the nozzle is garbage, the paint spatters some times, most times it was so misty it took a lot of passes to cover. Pure garbage. Hey, lesson learned.
Going to pick up some more Rustoleum today. That has worked pretty well.
Sorry I forgot the pics. I'll post later.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:12 AM
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined May 2004
882 Posts
I want to paint my Depron foamy and I've tested Krylon Fusion and Krylon ShortCuts spray paints. Both worked well and did not attack the Depron, however, when I spray foam-safe CA accelerator on the painted parts (well after paint has dried), the accelerator dissolves the paint some. It's a foamy so I expect to make many repairs with CA and accelerator so I'd be bummed if I ruined the paint job with it. Does anyone know of any spray paint that is not attacked by accelerator?
Neil_SC is offline Find More Posts by Neil_SC
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:27 AM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
Krylon H2O latex spray paint

I've used Krylon H2O latex spray paint with no problems, but try it first on a scrap piece of foam to be sure.

aerolite
aerolite is offline Find More Posts by aerolite
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:26 PM
Re-Kitting Expert :o
Bullhead City, Arizona
Joined Jan 2005
1,673 Posts
Finally Finished!

Bear with me a bit guys, I finally finished the big plane and it has left my garage. I finally have some room to move! lol

The photos are of the airbrush finish only. I went to the local Body Shop, where I had my truck repainted after some bad tires delaminated and ruined a fender. They had said they would help me clear coat the plane, since I had never done that before. The owner told me they would give me a good price and teach me how but because of the 120 degree weather in Arizona, I would have to be there at 4:00 AM when the painters were there avoiding the heat. I'm sorry but I am way too busy sleeping at that time of the morning! So I went to the local paint supply place and got all the extra info and pamphlets they had on the clear cote and went home and gave it a go. several hours later she was drying in the garage and was shinny and slick! Man it was great and the pilot was well pleased. I was amazed at how quickly the catalyzed clear hardened! After using PolyCrylic and rattle can clear on foam for so long, I was a happy camper.

GorillaBob is offline Find More Posts by GorillaBob
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:55 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
Is it possible to get opaque bright colors via airbrush on gray EPP? I have some of it lying around and wondering if I can make bright yellow stripes with stuff I currently have - I don't want to order a new compressor if airbrushing won't work for what I'm after.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:40 PM
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Dec 2010
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post
Is it possible to get opaque bright colors via airbrush on gray EPP? I have some of it lying around and wondering if I can make bright yellow stripes with stuff I currently have - I don't want to order a new compressor if airbrushing won't work for what I'm after.
If you are worried, you could hit the gray with an opaque white first, to brighten it up a bit. EPP tends to soak up a lot of paint, I usually seal it off with white before colors, but my colors are transparent. Even though my EPP is white, the white undercoat makes it much brighter. Gray I'd be undercoating for sure with the paints I use (wicked). Try it out and see, but I think the answer is yes there is always a way.
tacdriver is offline Find More Posts by tacdriver
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:44 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,030 Posts
I always give my EPP stuff a shot of 3M 77 prior to painting. Paint sticks better and seems more vibrant. Just a very light dusting is all that is needed.

Gray should not be as bad as black. Lots of work needed there to get anything decent. I think the black actually soaks up the paint more then white.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:22 PM
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Dec 2010
301 Posts
3m super 77 adhesive?
tacdriver is offline Find More Posts by tacdriver