HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by adreher, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:40 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,017 Posts
Very nice work. I have been considering something similar for the planes I sell at work. For now I have done custom jobs on each, nothing to elaborate but at least slightly different on each one. Problem is they each take way to much time and it is not at all cost effective for me to do it this way in bulk. You have given me some ideas on how to stream line the work even more. By the way, the floating graphic rig is a work of art. Not to difficult to spray around I assume?

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:30 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxspode View Post
Very nice work. I have been considering something similar for the planes I sell at work. For now I have done custom jobs on each, nothing to elaborate but at least slightly different on each one. Problem is they each take way to much time and it is not at all cost effective for me to do it this way in bulk. You have given me some ideas on how to stream line the work even more. By the way, the floating graphic rig is a work of art. Not to difficult to spray around I assume?

Rob...
One of my CAD buddies designed the "bridge" and it's a little more beefy than I would have liked but it has been ok. I was worried it would be an issue to spray around but there is enough clearance to get access from both sides. Even if you do something like this for the majority of the paint there is always the ability to go back in and touch up and customize afterwards. Having everything come out of the same CAD file as different layers with common alignment marks helped a LOT. With the three alignment pins everything assembles quickly for painting. my main problem is finding places for things to dry properly so i have been hanging things from lines lines and it gets to looking like laundry day when i am painting. I had trouble drying with heat and had a few early ones stick to the masks from the inside and had to touch them back up a little. but it is so much easier than the floating paper masks, especially in the depron case where you can't pin them
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:29 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
airbrush cleaning

when I am done I disassemble and fully clean my brush and then reassemble it and put it away. i am finding that each time I start a paint session the brush seems a little clogged. Do people reclean the brush when they start or do you store the brush disassembled? What am I missing?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:15 PM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
when I am done I disassemble and fully clean my brush and then reassemble it and put it away. i am finding that each time I start a paint session the brush seems a little clogged. Do people reclean the brush when they start or do you store the brush disassembled? What am I missing?
I take a can of air and blow all water out of the brush. This also helps dry it a bit.

After it dries a bit, I re-assemble and have never had any problems with it.

aerolite
aerolite is offline Find More Posts by aerolite
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:39 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
i think some of it is that I need to thin the paint a little. i did that and it flowed much better. Still learning to say the least
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:44 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Here is the assembled airframe. I'm happy with it and I did the rest of the equipment install after these pictures so I'll be able to fly it tomorrow but i wanted to get the pictures before I lost the sunlight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:11 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,408 Posts
So the way I understand it is that acrylic paint is water based? I'm too new at this to even say I'm new at this. Thank you for the help.
Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: T-38 Talon
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:32 PM
United States, NY, Olean
Joined Sep 2008
76 Posts
Has anybody ever tried using a oxegen bottle from a cutting torch as a air supply for airbrushing? I have 2 "R" bottles at the shop w/ regulators .I think it would work.
and don't give e sh..t about oxegen being "explosive" It's not!.. it is an excelerant not a explosive
crash&fix612 is offline Find More Posts by crash&fix612
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:19 AM
Re-Kitting Expert :o
Bullhead City, Arizona
Joined Jan 2005
1,650 Posts
Try a big CO2 bottle or even Nitrogen!! They both work great!!
GorillaBob is online now Find More Posts by GorillaBob
Old Apr 05, 2012, 09:04 AM
Callsign: Jolly Roger
Ridgecrest California
Joined Jun 2006
584 Posts
As someone that has worked with such gas containers for years I can tell you that they last quite a while for their size as well.
MyDigitalParadis is offline Find More Posts by MyDigitalParadis
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:14 PM
Joined Mar 2012
82 Posts
took the plunge

bought a cheap airbrush at harbor freight and some airbrush paint from Michaels. Good fun.
jim2wright is offline Find More Posts by jim2wright
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:55 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
So the way I understand it is that acrylic paint is water based? I'm too new at this to even say I'm new at this. Thank you for the help.
Tom
My 1982 Toyota 4x4 was painted with water based acrylic enamel in 1989 . Works great on automobiles too . It was Suzuki Samari tiel green .
MikeMcChiken is offline Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:02 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Here is the assembled airframe. I'm happy with it and I did the rest of the equipment install after these pictures so I'll be able to fly it tomorrow but i wanted to get the pictures before I lost the sunlight.
And here is the rainbow ended up generating. All Createx Fluorescents

RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:20 PM
FE Finatic
Delaware
Joined Jan 2004
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2wright View Post
bought a cheap airbrush at harbor freight and some airbrush paint from Michaels. Good fun.
What model # did You get from HF? Are you happy with the quality and what paint did you use? I was thinking about going this route to start out with. Rick
smaerd58 is offline Find More Posts by smaerd58
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:56 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaerd58 View Post
What model # did You get from HF? Are you happy with the quality and what paint did you use? I was thinking about going this route to start out with. Rick
I was happy with the dual action HF brush. it worked fine with Createx. I went with the HF 4oz detail brush I am using now because everything I was doing was through stencils and it does a nice fan paint stream which is better for even coverage. i have to use the stencils as i have NO artistic ability
RCG Plus Member