HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by adreher, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 09:40 AM
Wichita, KS
Joined Aug 2007
458 Posts
Being able to cut templates out with the Phlatprinter would be sweet!

I added links to two videos at the beginning of the thread (had to do it that way this time, dumb technology wouldn't let me do it the normal way). I painted a Fancy Foam model (depron) and went into a little more depth on the "true fire" effect and lettering. (it's not real true fire, just similar methods). This is the paint job the video covers.

I also added a few more pics at the beginning.
adreher is offline Find More Posts by adreher
Last edited by adreher; Feb 24, 2009 at 01:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2009, 01:10 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreher
Being able to cut templates out with the Phlatprinter would be sweet!

I added links to two videos (had to do it that way this time, dumb technology wouldn't let me do it the normal way). I painted a Fancy Foam model (depron) and went into a little more depth on the "true fire" effect and lettering. (it's not real true fire, just similar methods). This is the paint job the video covers.

I also added a few more pics at the beginning.
Even in a photograph there is a 3D effect to this paint job. Would you please give us links to all your instructional videos? Thanks.

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Feb 24, 2009, 01:17 PM
Wichita, KS
Joined Aug 2007
458 Posts
Lee,
All the videos are at the beginning of the thread.
adreher is offline Find More Posts by adreher
Old Feb 24, 2009, 01:21 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreher
Lee,
All the videos are at the beginning of the thread.
Thanks, I forgot. A little brain freeze there. I group the videos too.

Have a good day!!!

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Feb 24, 2009, 06:13 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,507 Posts
My paintjob is done! I'm sure I added a fair amount of weight with paint, but so be it! Thx for all the tips everyone!
Hornetnz is online now Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Feb 25, 2009, 06:15 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
801 Posts
Your Infineon turned out really nice Hornetnz. Did you use clink can, or airbrush?

Mox
moxjett is offline Find More Posts by moxjett
Old Feb 26, 2009, 06:37 AM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,507 Posts
$15 HF airbrush.
Hornetnz is online now Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Feb 26, 2009, 11:07 AM
rLu
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2004
181 Posts
Thanks to this thread, I finally used my airbrush! I painted my MIG15 Look alike.
rLu is offline Find More Posts by rLu
Old Feb 28, 2009, 09:29 PM
Joined Jan 2008
389 Posts
Nice planes by all.
Just a warning about HF. I went to the retail store in my area today to pick up the $16 airbrush kit and the $6 hose. Well, they were $20 and $7 in the store. I asked the clerk what the deal was and he said that the retail stores, catalog sales and internet are all different businesses. If you bring them a page from the catalog or internet with the same item for a lower cost, then they will match the price. Well, the store is a good 30min from my home and I did not have the time or inclination to go home, print the page and go back. Would have cost me $5 in gas and far more in time. I just decided to pay the additional $$ and be done with it as I rarely go to the area where the store is.
The whole thing sounds like bull to me. How are they not aware that the internet site has them listed for $16? They probably bank on people doing exactly what I did which is not bothering to go through the trouble of running around to save the extra few bucks.
I called the store ahead of time to make sure they had what I was looking for, but I never imagined they would have a different price than the online add. If anyone is going to a retail outlet, then you might want to call to make sure the price is the same as the internet before you go. If not, then ask if they will price match if you bring them the internet page with you.
$27 for the kit and a 10 foot hose is still not that bad, but knowing I could have paid $22 instead just put a sour taste in my mouth about the whole thing.
nikg is offline Find More Posts by nikg
Old Feb 28, 2009, 09:35 PM
Alabaster AL
Joined Aug 2006
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikg
Nice planes by all.
Just a warning about HF. I went to the retail store in my area today to pick up the $16 airbrush kit and the $6 hose. Well, they were $20 and $7 in the store. I asked the clerk what the deal was and he said that the retail stores, catalog sales and internet are all different businesses. If you bring them a page from the catalog or internet with the same item for a lower cost, then they will match the price. Well, the store is a good 30min from my home and I did not have the time or inclination to go home, print the page and go back. Would have cost me $5 in gas and far more in time. I just decided to pay the additional $$ and be done with it as I rarely go to the area where the store is.
The whole thing sounds like bull to me. How are they not aware that the internet site has them listed for $16? They probably bank on people doing exactly what I did which is not bothering to go through the trouble of running around to save the extra few bucks.
I called the store ahead of time to make sure they had what I was looking for, but I never imagined they would have a different price than the online add. If anyone is going to a retail outlet, then you might want to call to make sure the price is the same as the internet before you go. If not, then ask if they will price match if you bring them the internet page with you.
$27 for the kit and a 10 foot hose is still not that bad, but knowing I could have paid $22 instead just put a sour taste in my mouth about the whole thing.
My situation was different, the store price was a couple dollars cheaper than the on-line price. I would have paid them a few dollars more because I wanted it then so I could use it that weekend.

RCNXS
rcnxs is offline Find More Posts by rcnxs
Last edited by rcnxs; Mar 01, 2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2009, 07:19 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
Rosamond,Ca
Joined Jun 2008
630 Posts
What do people use to make their airplanes have a weathered look, what are the different types of coating. Thanks, and great thread!
SamB125 is offline Find More Posts by SamB125
Old Mar 02, 2009, 12:07 AM
Flyin Low
Simi Valley, Calif
Joined Nov 2007
229 Posts
Here you go Sam - everything you need to know you will find in these threads.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161218
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193567
J-Bird 662 is offline Find More Posts by J-Bird 662
Last edited by J-Bird 662; Mar 02, 2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2009, 10:57 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,619 Posts
Sky Ray looks great

Thanks for the info and pictures J-Bird. Is this a kit or your own design? Love it. I once tried making one from scratch, but I could not get the formers right, especially at the tail end. Mine had the prop on the nose and didnít look too good. Any specs available, weight, wing area, power?
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Mar 07, 2009, 02:30 PM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikg
Nice planes by all.
I my case I got my airbrush from the store on sale for $15 less a 20% discount coupon, so I ended up paying $12 for the airbrush! I went back about a week later to pick up the hose and found that they were selling the same airbrush for $20, so I guess they did have a price increase. The hose was $7 when I got it. Even at $27 it is a great deal. Price some of the airbrushes with the big names and it will seem a GREAT deal!

Ray
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old Mar 08, 2009, 04:23 AM
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Mar 2007
47 Posts
what happened to wowplanes?

Has anyone visited the wowplanes web sit? I want to buy some of this liquid sheeting, and Goggle isn't helping very much. It seems WP has closed their web sit or something. Or, where else can I get it?
jwims01 is offline Find More Posts by jwims01