these curves on the fuselage (turtledeck) are killing me, nice job
xterarc is offline Find More Posts by xterarc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:37 AM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
537 Posts
It took about 3 hours of sanding to get it to that point. That included Mark instructing me and fixing my mistakes.

I am in the process of cutting the firewall. Maybe more pic in the next couple of days.

Mike
tr6world is offline Find More Posts by tr6world
Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:41 AM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
537 Posts
Hey Craig, did you ever finish the Midkiff Se5a?

Mike
Old Feb 01, 2009, 08:24 AM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,516 Posts
Progress on the Firewall Mike?
Mark
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Feb 01, 2009, 04:04 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
537 Posts
Yep, I cut out the firewall for the Pratt & Whitney radial engine. I spent some time yesterday afternoon to cut out the firewall as well as the hole for prop shaft and the engine cylinders. All I can say is having the right tools makes the difference between a good looking firewall and a real nice one.

You were right Mark, a "jewelers saw" would have been perfect to use. I ended up using the coping saw you loaned me. I also used a dremel tool to help cut out the cylinder holes. No pictures yet.

The P-47 used a Pratt & Whitney "Double Wasp" R-2800 engine. It was used in the P-47, Corsair & Hellcat. There were a total of 18 cylinders all together (2 rows of 9). Here is a pretty cool youtube video of one of these engines being started up!

R2800 start and run!!!!!!!! (2 min 6 sec)
Old Feb 04, 2009, 12:01 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
537 Posts
The Firewall

More progress on the P-47 Thunderbolt firewall. I used 1/8" aircraft ply for my material. It is lightweight and strong....

I used a coping saw to cut the shape and then sanded the outside edge with a dremel tool. The cylinder holes were not as pretty because of the coarse saw blade. I will be cleaning this up a bit with sandpaper. It really won't be that visible once the cowl is finished and the prop mounted. On a brighter note, the cylinder holes will allow excellent air movement to help keep the motor and speed control cool

I am using a Rimfire 42-40-800 Outrunner Brushless Motor in place of the Pratt & Whitney engine. While it might not have as much horsepower as the 18 cylinder real deal, there will be plenty enough to swing a 13 X 8 Master Airscrew Prop
Last edited by tr6world; Feb 04, 2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2009, 01:57 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
537 Posts
Engine cowl Area

This design will have a nose-ring added that will create the shape/look of the P-47. I used 3/4" balsa block and using a template from drawings, cut out the the ring. To get the best use of my wood, it took 4 separate pieces of wood t make the shape.... and glued them together. Notice the pins helping secure the separate pieces together....

Once I sand the nose-ring, I will glue it to the firewall to become one assembly. This will then be glued to the front of the existing fuselage.
Last edited by tr6world; Feb 05, 2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2009, 07:50 AM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
537 Posts
The Tail

I cut out the tail surfaces from drawings Mark made. I am using 1/8" thick long grain balsa. I looked for the lightest and most straight piece I could find in the lumber box at the Prop-Shop (my local hobby store). I found a 4" wide 48" long piece that was just right.

The drawings were cut to shape and then used to trace my cutting line on the balsa. I used an exacto blade to get close, then sanded with a 120 grit paper down to the line I drew from the templates.

While Mark cut the vertical piece, he shared with me that it is a good idea to cut off the tips of the stabilizer and elevator and put a replacement piece with the grain running in the opposite direction. It will give added strength to the entire section and also help prevent any cupping of the wood over time. You will see an example of this on the top of the vertical section (stabilizer/rudder).

Because I get motivated when I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, we used painters tape to hold the elevator in place and assembled the tail section to take a couple of pictures. Still some detail work to get the tail section ready to become one with he fuselage.

The last picture shows the tail section, nose ring and firewall laid out ... Notice the blue tape......... this was placed on the fuselage for reference & alignment purposes for the tail assembly.
Old Feb 05, 2009, 08:34 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,258 Posts
Mike Midkiff Se5a

Nope, got really sidetracked by some other builds, and some beta builds. Not forgotten though. Gotta do my motor mount and cowl, then everything is pretty much ready to cover.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Feb 05, 2009, 09:17 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,516 Posts
Mike, the sander is good to go.
This thing is going to really start moving aong now...
Mark
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Feb 05, 2009, 09:22 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,258 Posts
Actually got sidetracked with a Hurricane the guy above me designed!
Old Feb 07, 2009, 10:51 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
537 Posts
Firewall Glued to Cowl-Ring

Got a little more work done on the plane. Mark sanded the outside of the cowl-ring and I worked on the inside to get the shape just right. After some sanding of the cowl-ring, we glued the firewall onto the cowl-ring using 5 minute epoxy. After that cured, we used 5 minute epoxy and glued the fuselage to the firewall.
Old Feb 08, 2009, 09:51 AM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,893 Posts
This is a really interesting thread and looks like you guys are doing a great job on this model. You are addressing a significant issue for electric scale modelers of WWII planes - how to get the weight and therefore the wingloading down in models over that are over say 30"-36" span but too 'small' to enjoy the better landing characteristics that start to appear at the +50"-60" span range. Balsa is just a bit heavy IMO for warbirds with sheeted fuses below 50" span. I'll be following this with interest.
4 Scale is online now Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Old Feb 08, 2009, 10:04 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,258 Posts
My 46" Rittinger Hurricane is at 15 ounces, with the rear fuse and tailfeathers double covered in silkspan and 4 coats dope. Just gotta cover the wings and front fuse with the same. The rear fuse is covered in 1/16 sheet, then stringers.
Old Feb 08, 2009, 10:56 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,362 Posts
These foam/balsa/ply hybrid building techniques make it possible to build light, great looking, great flying, relatively inexpensive, smooth surfaced, models that are not available in big boxes as ARF's. Thanks for the informative thread.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged