3,681 Posts
Are you done yet????? w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Feb 22, 2009, 08:27 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,888 Posts
ha! well i did start on it last night. so far, all the upper sheeting is done, including the wing fairing and tail fairings on the upper. also, cut out the areas for the fan/ducting, so thats next. also, decided to carve the wings/stab from balsa. ive already carved 1 wing...i used 3/4" super light balsa, and made a real nice semi symetrical airfoil, and the stab will be carved from 1/4" i will be going with a conventional stab. so far, ive used 6mm depron for the profile and formers, and added a balsa string to each side, in the middle all the way down the sheeting. man, i really like using fff for sheeting. talk about easy. i used 2mm for the tail fairing and wing fairing. i will also use 2mm for the ducting. plenty of room for the fan in there ;0

also, i changed the shape of the wing, the wing fillet and the length of the nose. i printed a good 3 view, and noticed that the aft taper angle on the wing was a little much, so i removed some of the chord of the wing from the root. didnt take tons off, as i feel a little extra wing area over scale is ok on this one. also, ben mentioned he goofed on the wing fairing. he has them going all the way back to the exhaust area like they are on the cougar, so i made them the scale size, they end between the t.e. of the wing, and the tail pipe area. also, the cougar is longer than the panther, and i checked the plans to the 3 view, and shortened the fuse right in front of the inlet. other than that, every thing in the design has fit perfect. i made the sheeting pieces just a hair larger, and it allowed me to trim to fit. works great. ive got some motivation to finish my big cougar now its so easy to use fff. if i can get this crappy cheap camera to upload pics, ill put some up later tonight.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:28 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,207 Posts
Carving balsa in the room? What's the maid think of all those wood shavings?

J
J Morgan is online now Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:40 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,888 Posts
i try to pick up as much as i can...

i cant get this cheap #$@ camera to load pics onto the comp. sorry guys. pretty stoked about this little guy though! shes cute! should boogie too. maybe 80mph.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:49 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Wow Nut, I can't wait for ya to get a better camera or that one to work! Gotta see some pics! Ohh man, excited about this build!!! Walt
Old Feb 23, 2009, 06:21 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,207 Posts
Heck, you get "stoked" about anything with wings.

J
J Morgan is online now Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Feb 25, 2009, 06:57 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,888 Posts
this baby is about ready for glass!!!! its looking SWEEEEET. wait till you guys see some pics! thanks again to ben. i wish i could have teken pics of the inside to show how i did the edf conversion...alas...no camera. maybe i can borrow one from a bud at work..
Old Feb 25, 2009, 07:20 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
awwwwwww come onnn,,we need pics, and also pics of that inside ductwork! Walt
ps. has the maid had you removed from the hotel yet????
Old Feb 25, 2009, 07:38 PM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,730 Posts
darn... i woulda love to see how you converted the inside. good luck with the maiden. what's the AUW?
-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Old Feb 25, 2009, 08:23 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,888 Posts
it wont maiden till i come home from this freaking trip...probably antoher month....atleast.

the weight is accualy pretty dang good! so far, its about 8oz WITH the fan and motor, airframe otherwise. the wings were only 1oz each...not bad for solid carved wings with a 3/4" thick root.

ill see if i can borrow a camera. the tail pipe area looks....SICK!....

also, ben, i noticed that the area behind the tail pipe has been slightly raised for prop clearance...no biggie, i changed that for the edf aplication...the inlets look SWEET too. and the ducting turned out GREAT. its looking like a 20oz RTF weight on 2100 4s. its only going to have about 300-325W but the flight times will be great, and performance should be around 80mph. its a pretty small, but COOL model! im in love already! ...ps...im loving FFF foam..and incorperating lots of balsa has been fun too
Old Feb 27, 2009, 09:59 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,888 Posts
good news...got the stab carved from 1/4 balsa, and it tuned out GREAT. also, got the rudder done. most of the spakle work is done, and im almost ready for glass. not bad for a weeks work! its looking SICK. i did have to reduce the size of the stab for scale, but not tons....ben...your going to love this thing! :O
Old Feb 28, 2009, 03:12 AM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,730 Posts
CN- can't wait to see your pics. what changes did you have to make to the stab? the stab should be scale because that part i took straight off of the 3-views that i had.

i've been working on the panther plans again. i've already built mine, but it bothers me that i messed up the scale appearance by assuming the aft end of the wing ended at the tail of the plane like in the cougar. so, i've spent the last 2.5 hours rehashing the plans to make a fix. this is what i've come up with so far. i still have to test out the pieces to make sure they all fit. instead of building another complete version, i'm just building the aft section of the plane where i need to test the pieces. if the pieces work, i'll make changes to the final plans. just need to print up the modded pieces and do a mock up.
-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Old Feb 28, 2009, 03:41 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,888 Posts
ben, what 3 views did you use? also, the panther is shorter than a cougar, not sure if you took that into account. my stab is smaller than the one on the plans and it still looks just a hair too big, but not bad.