SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:03 AM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
ok phil, great. thanks for the clarification. i forgot about the tail moment and how i think the original was actually a traditional stab, so it wasn't designed for full stab deflection i believe. darn, that probably means i didn't design it correctly. usually, i try to design the stab mechanism with an anticipated guestimate of how much movement is needed so that i can maximize the range of a typical servo to take advantage of finer control input on the stick translating to servo output to flying surface movement. i'll update the plans with your info. do you have an All Up Weight?... if you do, i can calculate the wing loading which some people find useful. can't wait to see some more pics of her.
-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:21 AM
Joined Nov 2004
41 Posts
Hi Beanie, Do you post a plan, in the futur...?
Best regards
Enrique
enriqueigl is offline Find More Posts by enriqueigl
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:33 AM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,110 Posts
it flies great but i do think that maybe another is on the horizon with the conventional stab. I just curious if it will handle different not given so much area. Well i mean it will obviously handle different I'm just more curious into how much different. Sorry for the rambling. Time for bed. I'm a 3rd shifter. Later. Beanie the more i start to think about how would you feel about me pulling the tail off and doing it with a conventional elevator? Phil Oh yeah no weight yet i'll get weighed at the lhs later this week.
mrshea is offline Find More Posts by mrshea
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:34 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,769 Posts
My Panther, the one ATIS has now, is conventional elevators and flies just fine. You won't have any problems with it.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:18 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
I can second what J said... however, I like a little more elevator authority then she has. I never got comfortable bringing her in low and fast because the elevator always seemed a little slow for how I fly. But take that with a grain of salt as I only set up one rate for the elevator, ailerons get duel rates so I tend to have a very large elevator travel with decent EXPO to keep her tame in the middle and crazy at the extremes. But I am a strange bird anyways.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:28 PM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
phil- i'd have no problems if you wanna go back and set her up with a conventional elevator setup. it's your bird, so do with her as you please. before making mods though, could you record the AUW please? i've seen J's panther fly with conventional elevators and she flies great. i like to try to hide all the connectors on my birds which is part of the reason i am partial to this current setup; but the lack of scale fidelity bothers me though.

enriqueigl- plans for the panther should be coming up soon. i just have to update the plans with a couple pieces of data. then i have to figure out how to print out the plans to pdf. i always forget each step and the setup. it always takes me about and hour to figure out how to make AutoCAD happy. eventually, i'll switch to SketchUp, but that's like learning a whole new language. when i post the plans, it'll be on page 1, post 1.

-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Old Dec 02, 2011, 02:32 AM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,110 Posts
ok guys sorry for lack of updates just not much to tell. Alot of filling and sanding going on here. Primer hopefully in a day or two. Phil
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:39 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
Phil, any updates??
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:32 AM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,110 Posts
no not really. Weather here is not ideal for painting. Warm one day freezing cold the next. I have to primer and paint and should be done. Rally looking foward to flying it again. Phil
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:37 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Apr 2012
61 Posts
Mr. Shea,

Do ypou have a pdf copy of the beta planes for the Panther that you could send me? Ben and I have corresponded and he let me know that his computer crashed and he cannot retrieve them. I managed to get a copy of the F-101 plans from Allen and now just need to get the Panther to help complete the fleet.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sheldon
Smooth Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Smooth Pilot