HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2009, 07:59 AM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
the reason i installed the fin when i did, even though i didn't need it for skinning just yet was because the next bay to skin is where the receiver goes. so, i wanted to install all the servos now and plug in the receiver before covering up that bay.

so, to prep that bay where the recevier sits, i also installed an antenna tube. this is the first time i've used the antenna tube for its true purpose i usually use it as control wire guide tube. a shallow gulley is shaved out of one wing and the antenna tube sits in it (pic 1). i am still old school and have not upgraded to 2.4ghz yet, so that is why i'm still dealing with all these long antennas.

the plan was to upgrade everything this year, but then my wife decided to remodel our minivan. in the situation of minivan vs concrete pillar holding up the parking structure, the results are as sure as the Lion's chance of making it to a playoff... minivan-0, concrete pillar-1. total cost of bodywork repair... $3k. great, just priceless! so, there goes my r/c investment to upgrade the radio gear i took it all in stride though and didn't get upset. i'm just happy that no one was injured. so, as a result, i'm still stuck with the long FM antennas. the antenna tube helps keep them outta trouble.

the antenna tube passes into the bay where the reciever is (pic 2) and can be secured. i then pass the antenna through the tube. next pic just shows (as a reminder) to plug in all the electronics into the servo while the bay is open (pic 3). then, the 'grippers' are added to the planform along the edge of the planform (pic 4). be sure to allow a little slot for the antenna tube to exit. next pic is just a reference pic for me (pic 5). i try to remember to do this with all my builds. i lay a ruler down against a landmark (ie, bulkhead) and take a pic. this way, i can get an idea of where the electronics are in the bay. this reminds me where i need to cut, where not to cut and how big of a whole needs to be cut. since i'm such a slow builder and often jump from project to project... it can be weeks if not months before i get back to a bird to cut out the hatches. my old memory can't recall crap, so the pic is invaluable. for all you speedy builders out there that don't suffer from ADHD like me, you probably don't need such a reference pic.

finally, the skin can be secured (pic 6). it will need some test fitting to cut a slot for the antenna tubing. i just position the skin and push it into place. the antenna tube will cause an indent, and that where i know i need to cut the slot.

-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Last edited by beanie; Jan 24, 2009 at 11:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2009, 05:50 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
doesn't seem like there is much interest in the panther, so i think i'll shelve this one for a bit and get some more work done on the F-100 and MiG-17.
-beanie
Old Jan 25, 2009, 06:11 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Well, I'm still watching! But you know the F100 is my favorite, but this one is on the list too!!!!! Walt
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jan 25, 2009, 06:28 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,571 Posts
beanie, just because I'm not talking doesn't mean I'm not watching.

Tony
TPfingston is offline Find More Posts by TPfingston
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:38 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
Build for yourself, not the peanut gallery...

Looking good in any case!

-Matt
Esprit440 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit440
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:49 AM
Joined Jun 2007
127 Posts
beanie

I am following this build very closely. I would love to build one in the near future. Are you planning on making the plans available? If you are can you let me know how to purchase them. Thanks.

Frenchy
Frenchy520 is offline Find More Posts by Frenchy520
Old Jan 26, 2009, 12:21 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
its good to hear that some people are interested in this bird. i woulda thought this one woulda garnered more attention than the MiG-17. but i guess this plane has been done enough times.
frenchy520- originally, i was planning on a public free release of plans. if the interest level stays low, i may just make it a contributors-only plan. you can become a contributor by donating anything you think is reasonable for one of my other plans (MiG-15, MiG-25, MiG-21, MiG-23, F-105D, RFB Fantrainer, F-111 (semi-released)). once i have you on the list of contributors, then i e-mail you any future contributor-only plans. its a way of saying 'thank you' to the contributors. most of my plans will be free for everyone though.
i'll try and get back to this bird after i've gotten more done on the MiG-17 and F-100. i'm sure blake will jump in as the beta builder when he's had some time to get some more done as well.
-beanie
Old Jan 26, 2009, 06:27 PM
San diego, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
1,436 Posts
I've been working on it a lot lately, Ben. Just haven't had the time to post pictures.

FJ
FlyJumper is offline Find More Posts by FlyJumper
Old Jan 26, 2009, 09:26 PM
Mike
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Joined Jul 2003
939 Posts
Beanie, this is looking awesome. I definitly plan on building this in the near future. I already have a paint scheme picked out. Gotta get the F-100 done first though.

BTW Beanie, I switched to 2.4 last Spring (Spektrum, it was a late Christmas present and on backorder forever). Still have a couple of good 72Mhz radios and a bunch of receivers, but for the planes I absolutely don't want to take a chance on getting a radio hit (and our field seems to have it's own Bermuda Triangle), I go 2.4. I am slowly picking up 2.4 recievers here and there so I don't have to move them from plane to plane as often.
i12flyrc is offline Find More Posts by i12flyrc
Old Jan 26, 2009, 09:51 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
This one is also on my list! I'm still flying with 72mhz. I have been looking at the Assan 2.4 module for my radio lately, seems they are getting good reviews. Anyone on here have any experience with the Assan stuff?.. w.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 09:31 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,571 Posts
Waltjg, I too would like to hear about the Assan unit. Sounds like just the ticket for my Hitec Optic 6.

Tony
TPfingston is offline Find More Posts by TPfingston
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
Old Jan 27, 2009, 09:35 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Tony, I was looking at them on the hobbycity site, seems all the reviews are good, but just thought i'd see if any of the guys here has used them.... let me know if you find someone that has. w.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 09:43 PM
San diego, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
1,436 Posts
I don't understand, do the assan recievers work with a 72mhz radio with some kind of conversion, or do you need a 2.4 radio also?

FJ
Old Jan 27, 2009, 09:56 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
FJ, Assan makes a module that will plug into the Futaba and one for JR too, that converts it from a 72mhz to a 2.4g. Last time I looked the transmitter module and it comes with 2 recievers and a link system for about $80!!!! and the reports have been good on them on the HC site. Just go www.hobbycity.com and look at the radio/2.4 ghz part and you'll see them. Walt
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:01 PM
San diego, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
1,436 Posts
Thanks.

FJ