SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 18, 2009, 02:41 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,719 Posts
looking great ben! your killing me with all these builds! :O im going to call you ben morgan from now on!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2009, 04:10 PM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
looking great ben! your killing me with all these builds! :O im going to call you ben morgan from now on!
lmao! i'd be more than honored with that name!
i'm hoping this gets your juices flowing to finish off the cougar edf and then maybe do one of these others in edf and bring 'em to Superfly next year! remember... no hanky panky until after march!!!

-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Old Jan 19, 2009, 08:34 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
next step is to get the fin into position. some of the planform is cut away to allow the elevator control wire to come through where necessary.

2nd pic shows the subassembly of the elevator control mechanism. basically, the liteply control horn has the alum tubing passing through 2 of the holes (pivot and torque positions). a small hole is drilled for the 0.055" piano wire control wire on the other arm.

3rd pic shows the process of installing the elevator sub-assembly onto the elevator control wire and then threading the elevator control wire through the sheath embedded in the fin.

4th pic shows the completed threaded and the elevator sub-assembly in position.

finally, when the elevator control wire is measured at its extremes of throw, it can be cut down to size and the elevator servo can then be installed. in order to prevent binding, i keep the plane of the elevator control arm movement in the same plane as the elevator control wire movement. this meant i needed to build a slanted base for the elevator servo sit on as shown in the last pic.

-beanie
Last edited by beanie; Jan 19, 2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:16 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,691 Posts
You realise the Panther had conventional elevators?
The Cougar was changed to an all flying stab.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:23 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
You realise the Panther had conventional elevators?
The Cougar was changed to an all flying stab.

J

yes, i realized that after the fact when i was looking to see how i was gonna keep the stabilator travel from hitting that sloped section of the fin. then i went back and looked at the difference between the cougar and panther and realized what was going on. i guess it'd save some weight to do traditional elevator; but i'm too lazy to go back and fix my build or the plans for that matter. if i didn't have these extra builds going on and a couple designs cooking on CAD, i'd go back and fix up the plans to make her more scale.
-beanie
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:27 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,691 Posts
Doesn't matter. If you remember, I changed the MIG-15 to all flying stab. It was conventional too, that's why they couldn't dive worth a crap. You would have to bend the conrol yoke just to pull out of a steep dive. But it wasn't noticed, I had to tell on myself. But I found it easier to setup all flying in that high tail position.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:34 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
yeah, esp with the MiG-15 with that angled traditional elevator. at least for the panther, it should be an easier switch since it would be a straight across the back traditional elevator setup. how's your F-100 coming along?
-beanie
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:47 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,691 Posts
Just getting back on it after finishing the Dora. I'm in Illinois now until Wednesday. I did mount the ailerons before I left. Should have the airframe done this weekend I hope. Maybe a maiden next week? Then on to finishing.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:54 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanie
lmao! i'd be more than honored with that name!
i'm hoping this gets your juices flowing to finish off the cougar edf and then maybe do one of these others in edf and bring 'em to Superfly next year! remember... no hanky panky until after march!!!

-beanie
no hankie panky period. better chances that way! i aint gunna mis ut this year!

yeah i know...i know! i need to finish that baby! i just havnt had the juices to scratch build lately. i guess im getting lazy!

man...the panther has me tempted though..and the mig 17. when are you going to do a F-86 man?????c'mon dude...youve done EVERY single classic jet exept the very best! id marry you if i could when you make a sabre!
id build like 5 of them! c'mon man....sabre time sabre time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sexy sexy!
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:01 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,691 Posts
Certainly no pressure there Ben. You really want to marry Nut?

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:04 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
CN- i thought you were already well under way with your F-86 project... you wouldn't need a set of plans from me would ya? i can add her to the list. my newest distraction is the Su-17 Fitter. i'm working on her swing wing mechanism. then, i've got to get back to finishing up a few other CAD designs, but then it'll be on to the F-86. she'll probably be 1/11th scale to match up with my MiG-15. i thought olympic was doing the F-86, but haven't heard from him in a while. i was hoping he'd release a set of -86 plans.
-beanie
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:14 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,719 Posts
well, the big 86 the size of J's is on hold. im very tempted to use the wings to scratch build a swept wing P-39(X-2 flying test bed) talk about killing looking! im also building a JHI F-86 thats just a touch smaller than J's.

its accualy called a L-39. not much info out there on this one. but i can do it by eye, and p-39 drawings. you cant tell me this thing aint wicked looking!
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:23 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,691 Posts
That thing is going to be alot of fun to balance for sure.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:26 PM
San diego, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanie
CN- i thought you were already well under way with your F-86 project... you wouldn't need a set of plans from me would ya? i can add her to the list. my newest distraction is the Su-17 Fitter. i'm working on her swing wing mechanism. then, i've got to get back to finishing up a few other CAD designs, but then it'll be on to the F-86. she'll probably be 1/11th scale to match up with my MiG-15. i thought olympic was doing the F-86, but haven't heard from him in a while. i was hoping he'd release a set of -86 plans.
-beanie
Ben, how the heck are you producing all these jets at such a rapid pace? I mean, two months your silent and BOOM you launch a bunch of new designs , and working on more! Great work.
I agree with Corsair Nut, an 86 would be awesome. I'd def. build one.

FJ
FlyJumper is offline Find More Posts by FlyJumper
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:48 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
That thing is going to be alot of fun to balance for sure.

J
no way gramps....just a walk in the park