SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 15, 2009, 05:43 AM
Perth
Joined Jan 2009
31 Posts
Help!
Receiver antenna half broke :(

Oh dear

Was out with the buggy this evening and I think the antenna got caught in something and broke around half way down the wire.

I was still using it for 5min at least before finding the broken half wrapped around the rear axle, but do you think its still ok to use? Or any thoughts on re-attachment? Will a quick solder job be ok?
yorky is offline Find More Posts by yorky
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2009, 09:14 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,914 Posts
It would be best if you can solder, to solder it back to the Rx board using a new wire of equal size & lenght
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:40 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Mar 2008
67 Posts
Solder the broken half back on making sure you have 18" total length. Or replace it with a new one. 18" Total for surface 36" air
bsrman14 is offline Find More Posts by bsrman14
Old Jan 15, 2009, 03:20 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
That brings up a good point............If one were to solder a longer than stock wire in place of the stock wire for the antenna, would one get better reception? Or is 18" surface antenna the best reception one can achieve?
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Jan 15, 2009, 06:23 PM
Perth
Joined Jan 2009
31 Posts
From my previous radio experience I believe antenna's are 'tuned' to by being a specific length for the application? This is why I'm worried that only using half an antenna could MORE than half the receive distance.

Now as I said the antenna broke half way down the wire, not at the Rx box.

So you have *BOX*-------------------- |snap| --------------------- <extra wire that broke off.

So I may try and solder the two WIRES back together if people think that would be sufficient and not effect the receive ability to much?
Old Jan 15, 2009, 07:59 PM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
I've had that happen before and I just put the two back together.. soldering then shrink tube and it (should) be fine.. I would suggest you do a few careful trial runs before running flat out to make sure it OK...
cenracer1 is offline Find More Posts by cenracer1
Old Jan 19, 2009, 06:28 PM
Perth
Joined Jan 2009
31 Posts
I soldered it back together + the usual shrink tube cover and it seems to be working fine pending a range check
Old Jan 19, 2009, 09:30 PM
TT-01
Earth.
Joined Aug 2008
107 Posts
This exact problem happened to me, i tried to solder it but then it wouldnt fit back into antenna tube, i just got as close to the original thickness wire as i could and made sure i got the right length, then soldered onto electrical board in receiver.

BE VERY CAREFUL because if you damage electrical board while soldering it could ruin it.

Good luck,

let us know
gsrac3r is offline Find More Posts by gsrac3r
Old Jan 20, 2009, 07:17 PM
Perth
Joined Jan 2009
31 Posts
Yes unfortunately I had the same issue, it broke at the top of the protective tube and the smallest heatshrink couldn't fit through it, so I had to snip about 1cm of that tube off the top, feed the good already attached to Rx wire through it so it just poked out and solder it at the top there
Old Jan 20, 2009, 07:59 PM
USA, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2008
614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrac3r
This exact problem happened to me, i tried to solder it but then it wouldnt fit back into antenna tube, i just got as close to the original thickness wire as i could and made sure i got the right length, then soldered onto electrical board in receiver.

BE VERY CAREFUL because if you damage electrical board while soldering it could ruin it.

Good luck,

let us know

Thats what i did. But my reciever wire has come cut roight out of the case.
E-maxxman is offline Find More Posts by E-maxxman