HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2009, 11:48 PM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
Discussion
FunBuild 2 (Martin MO-1) enlarged Peter Rake plan has flown

As the title says my Funbuild 2 entry is a Martin MO-1.
It will be based on a Peter Rake design that was a free-plan in RC Model World Plans & Construction Special. I believe it was also available in the US as a short kit from http://www.manzanolaser.com/index.html but I don't see it listed anymore. It is listed here http://www.peterrake.com/php/Main.html though. I am fond of Peter's designs because they build easy and fly well.
Although I had never heard of the MO-1 before I liked the look of Peter's original but it was too small for me. I had visions of a larger one lumbering through the morning sky.
I took the 30" original plans to OfficeMax and $6 later I had plans for one w/ a 50" wingspan. I decided on 50" because the wheels would then be 3" dia.
I plan on using a combination of blue fanfold foam, balsa and ply in the construction. I built a similar sized Stout 2-AT the same way and it flew very well.
On with the show...

Tim
Newtron is offline Find More Posts by Newtron
Last edited by Newtron; Mar 16, 2009 at 12:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:10 AM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
A little Martin MO-1 history.

I like scale planes the best (esp Golden Age). I like to read the history of the plane I'm building/flying. Here's what I've found out about the Martin MO-1. There weren't many built and were quickly supplanted by the "next" big thing.

From http://www.centennialofflight.gov/es...tin/Aero12.htm
In spite of the success of the MB-2, Martin could barely keep afloat, and the company shrank from almost 400 to just 90 employees. Only a Navy order of four experimental aircraft between 1922 and 1924 kept the company going. One, the MO-1, an all-metal gun-spotting seaplane, had a fuselage framed in welded steel and wings framed in an aluminum alloy. The only wood in the structure was in the engine mount, where it was used to absorb vibration.

from http://www.aerofiles.com/_martin.html
MO 1924 = 3pOhwMF; 350hp Curtiss D-12; span: 53'1" length: 38'1" v: 105. Junkers influence apparent in thick, heavy metal wing. Sea or land version. POP: 36 as MO-1 [A6455/6460, A6633/6662].

from nasa http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/search.jsp...6N%3D125%2B184
Martin MO-1: The Martin MO-1 three-place observation plane was probably of interest to the NACA for its all-metal cantilevered wing. This example of the float plane was used at Langley from September 1922 until November 1923.

from flight research at langley
http://books.google.com/books?id=wyJ...esult#PPA14,M1

http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/avchr3.htm
14--A powder catapult was successfully demonstrated in the launching of a Martin MO-1 observation plane from the forward turret of the battleship Mississippi (BB 41) at Bremerton, Wash. The aircraft was piloted by Lieutenant L. C. Hayden with Lieutenant W. M. Fellers as passenger. Following this demonstration, the powder catapult was widely used on battleships and cruisers.

Anyone out there w/ more info or pictures of the MO-1?

Tim
Old Jan 15, 2009, 03:31 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,796 Posts
Tim
If your model flies as well as the little one don't expect to do too much 'lumbering'. It was surprisingly sprightly if the urge came upon me. It almost encouraged th odd bit of throwing around but was equally happy just stooging along.
Good luck with your build, I look forward to seeing the end result.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jan 15, 2009, 09:19 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,948 Posts
Tim,

Nice subject. It is one of those I have been tempted to build as well.

We do still have the 30" short kit. It is in with the IPS line of kits.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jan 15, 2009, 05:32 PM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Tim ,

Welcome aboard

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Jan 15, 2009, 09:39 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,249 Posts
I wonder how many pilots died of hypothermia, what with all the water and the prop blast hitting him? Well, anyway, an interesting subject - signed on.

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Jan 16, 2009, 04:46 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Doesn't that second picture (the one on floats) look very like the plane in the original 'Flight Of The Phoenix' film. Yes, I know it isn't, but still a striking similarity..can almost picture James Stewart sitting up in that exposed cockpit.

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Jan 19, 2009, 01:09 AM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
Peter and Charlie - I'm glad you chimed in, I didn't think I was violating the letter or even the spirit of the law, but you never know.
Peter - "Stooging along" that's the plan .
After dealing w/ a bathroom emergency, I'm back at work on the MO-1.
I always start w/ the wing. I've made a few wings this way. It works out well and I don't have to cut alot of ribs. The carbon fiber is probably not necessary but better safe than sorry. I had a wing fold on me before and it wasn't pretty.
This wing is different in one way. It has dihedral on the bottom and is flat on top.

Tim
Old Jan 19, 2009, 09:20 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,948 Posts
Tim,

Very nice so far. Am very interested in how the building method goes as I will be experimenting with depron/wood construction.

charlie

FYI anytime you change a design significantly it becomes your own. I think this one more than qualifies. Or, if you wanted to credit Pete, you could use "Martin MO-1 by Tim based on design by Peter Rake"
Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:39 AM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
I have started skinning the wing tops w/ 3mm cellfoam, clear packing tape and gorilla glue. The wingtips have been cut out of insulation foam and need to be sanded into shape.

Charlie - why would you use foam? I only use it because I dislike hand cutting ribs. Besides what will Pat T. say if you show up w/ a flying beer cooler .

Tim
Old Jan 20, 2009, 09:42 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,948 Posts
Why foam? Because good balsa is starting to get scarce. I am also starting to develop an allergy to balsa dust (I already have to use odorless CA). Getting to where I have to wear a mask when sanding.

I also really like some of Sparky's creations. Then there is Rake's descent into light indoor stuff. Pat already knows that I build planes too heavy. And, he has been known to cut a wing out of foam every now and then I also watched Mike Roach migrate from balsa to foam designs for his stuff.

Depron also has the advantage of very consistent density, which makes it simple to cut (in thinner sheet sizes).

On your wing, did you just curl the top over for the LE or is there something else there? Any reason why you do not use something like a CF rod or balsa stick as the LE to resist dings?

I am also interested in finishing. Something other than glassing? Maybe?

charlie
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:52 AM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
On your wing, did you just curl the top over for the LE or is there something else there? Any reason why you do not use something like a CF rod or balsa stick as the LE to resist dings?

I am also interested in finishing. Something other than glassing? Maybe?

charlie
Yes I just curl the LE over the few ribs I use. I use the clear packing tape to connect the top to the bottom. Then I have a smooth transition from top to bottom. The packing tape also protects the LE. It works for me. I've seen others use balsa or bass for the LE though. If your wing has a straight LE then you can use the fold between 2 sheets of FFF.

I haven't decided on the finish. In the past I've used tissue and WBP which results in a nice "cloth" texture. But since the MO-1 was all-metal I'm leaning towards low temp iron-on covering after sealing w/ WBP and filler. My style of flying usually doesn't warrant glassing.

Tim
Old Jan 21, 2009, 01:08 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,948 Posts
Thanks Tim. I'll keep watching.

charlie
Old Jan 26, 2009, 12:11 AM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
I've started on the fuselage. It's basically a fff box. I'm still deciding how much of a balsa/ply "skeleton" is needed.

Tim
Old Jan 27, 2009, 09:58 PM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
More pics

I've found some more pics and 3 views, complements of the Small Flying Arts forum.
http://www.smallflyingarts.com/cgi-b...num=1191460394

Tim