HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2009, 09:45 AM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,494 Posts
Spare parts are available at BH.

http://www.bananahobby.com/electric-...-71-parts.html

I would not expect great flight times from any of the stock setups at wide open, something like 2.5 to 3.5 minutes. Anyone who is flying ETM, Nitroplanes, BH etc stock setups, what are you getting?
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2009, 01:13 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,213 Posts
Dave, I know my friend says he gets about 3 min on the stock 2200 with the stock setup. He has the easytiger version BTW. I have been trying to get him to use a bigger pack as the 2200 even with a high "C" rating wont net you more than 3:30 even with throttle management. I think the best bet would be a 3700-4000mah to get over 4 min of flight time and have good power with it. I honestly think even with a high "C" you are current limiting the setup. With the slightly larger pack you will see more power with the longer flight time so the extra weight of the pack will be negated.

Just my .02

Jason
FresnoJay is online now Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Oct 24, 2009, 01:42 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Waiting for Don's gear so I put a pilot in the Bird. RSO goes in next. Man, does this thing get in your blood or what!? Pieces fit rather nice, no glue, sitting on the coffee table, going Mach 3.2...hehe..coolest, er, hotest plane, ever...

Toysonic sell's them for $99.99, though I had to pay CA sales tax since they are in CA, so Aaanold got the savings....rats!

Just got the Squadron/signal Publications' SR-71 booklet, chock full of cool photo's and great tales. Pub date is 1982, so alot of stuff probably has been revised, due to the classified nature of the beast. Ordered the newer 'Walk Around' from my LHS. One of the neater things about this hobby, the history..

20 gram video TX and base RX, oh yeah...Toysonics for $40.00, what good is an SR that can't spy, hmmm...mounting backet is removable and has power transformers and cables. Will run off BEC power in plane....

Cheers

Joe
redlite is offline Find More Posts by redlite
Last edited by redlite; Oct 24, 2009 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Added photo's, text...
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:00 AM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Hey dLdv, what kind of paint are you using? I saw that Don's thread mentioned Model Masters flat black, but I thought enamel paint eats the foam. Maybe light coat is the trick. What's your take? Thanks for the tip on mache-filler as mine had packing-box rash at the get go....repair already.....need the practice anyway....

How's the Bird doing? Haven't seen any flight posts latley. I'm going your way, minimal markings, as was commom on the big stuff..

Cheers

Joe
Last edited by redlite; Oct 25, 2009 at 02:37 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:50 AM
Yup, gravity is still working!
Dark side of the moon
Joined Oct 2004
844 Posts
Hey redlite,
Do you know if those 2.4ghz camera's are safe to use with spektrum radios? TIA
Frank
Flying Frank is offline Find More Posts by Flying Frank
Old Oct 25, 2009, 01:27 AM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Hey Frank;

I'm flying a Hi-tec Eclipse 7, 72MHz, so I should be OK. Good question, though, I would guess seeing how the 2.4's attraction is it's 'dedication', it should be good....best check your system first, of course.....

Are you building/flying a Blackbird? Here is a photo of the 'whale tail' being activated, cut and sanded, ready for paint. I will mix that with the elevator, maybe get better pitch control....Painted and installed! GWS synthetic paper hinges and brass connector wire....

Cheers

Joe
Last edited by redlite; Oct 25, 2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 02:20 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,213 Posts
The black paint is Testors Model Master Flat black FS 37038 or 1949 is the large number on top of the can lid. Its the same as the F-117. It is a perfect match. Most important thing when using it is light coats from a distance. Its the propellant that eats foam not the paint in this case.

Jason
FresnoJay is online now Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Oct 25, 2009, 02:36 AM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Thanks, Jason....I have a can of that paint, so here goes.....perfect match!

Joe
Last edited by redlite; Oct 25, 2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 08:11 AM
On the Edge of Space
Joined Dec 2007
1,494 Posts
Hey Joe,
The added control surfaces on the tail are pretty cool, hope they work out well. Great Pilot! As to paint, been using Folk Art brand Pure Black acrylic from the craft store, it matches OK too. This one is still just as ugly as in last photo but has racked up about 25 consecutive trouble free flights in its current configuration. Maybe I'll doll it up a little over winter.

Good luck with your maiden! Give a shout with all the juicy details.

Lloyd
Old Oct 26, 2009, 07:15 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Hello Lloyd!

Glad to hear the Bird is treating you well. Still @ 78mm on your CG? Your rate #'s and deflections still the same? Toysonics has them for $99.99 at the moment, I may get another one and stash it away. Ready to fly is $275.00, with TX! Mine will double that with Don's gear and other sundries. BTW, pilot is from Parkflyer Plastics, all kinds of cool upgrades for our babies....

I know this thread is sort of supposed to be stock, can I post progress here without upsetting the apple cart, as mine is anything but stock.

In the meantime, here are the activated rudders. I was going to go 'full floating/flying' like the prototype, which wouldn't be that hard to do, but the idea of that large flimsy foam fin in front of the pivot axle, with no support, going 85 MPH, I thought some descretion was in order for safetys' sake. Fiberglassed fins would have been the way to go, but I didn't think of that till I was done with this mod.....still, this is more safe...

Elevons and whale tail in! Nice to get this out of the way while waiting for Don's stuff......I'll make two small marks on body at the whale tail servo position, so if repair/adjustments are needed, I'll know where to cut hatch...

Habu to you

Joe
Last edited by redlite; Oct 28, 2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 08:31 AM
On the Edge of Space
Joined Dec 2007
1,494 Posts
Hey Joe,

Nice work on the added control surfaces. They look well executed. I found the stock point hinges and the pins on the clevises to be a weak links, you might want to evaluate those as well.

On the flying adjustments the second batch I posted worked well for me, but... your mileage may vary, subject to change without notice etc. In fact, no one has posted back that they tried these settings and had them work, and one poster said it was impossible to fly with the 78mm CG. On the other hand no one posted that they used that setup and wrecked their plane. So I'm not sure???? I think Don posted his throws on that other thread, you might want to compare.

You are right though, these planes are not stock anymore, so probably better to post to the Don's thread.

Thanks for the tip on sourcing the pilot.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 03:38 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Mar 2005
714 Posts
Does the real SR-71 have these additional control surfaces for elevator control, of does it just use elevons as the stock model airframe does?

Guys, how do I get the factory servos out of the pockets on the elevons without damaging the plane?

I just discovered that an elevon servo is defective on my brand new BH SR-71 after hooking up my rx and a battery before even gluing the halves together! Gears are popping and only very light fingertip pressure stops the servo arm from moving (it just pops like mad inside).

I now want to replace BOTH elevon servos with something I can trust, like HiTec 65HB's perhaps (I use them on a 400 sized heli I fly often and they're tough and fast little buggers). Unless anybody can suggest a better servo with a better fit?

So much for this plane being an rx ready RTF now.

- Michael
Michael211_2000 is offline Find More Posts by Michael211_2000
Old Jan 09, 2010, 03:43 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Mar 2005
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dLdV View Post
Spare parts are available at BH.

http://www.bananahobby.com/electric-...-71-parts.html

I would not expect great flight times from any of the stock setups at wide open, something like 2.5 to 3.5 minutes. Anyone who is flying ETM, Nitroplanes, BH etc stock setups, what are you getting?

fyi: That link to the spare parts page no longer works (it just goes to the BH home page)... but you can still find the parts page if you hunt thru their homepage for the new link. Also, why does it say the parts are for a 4-ch SR-71 instead of the 5-chan one? Did they use to sell a 4-channel SR-71? I noticed in the little instruction booklet that there were instructions for the plane with and without retracts...

- Michael
Michael211_2000 is offline Find More Posts by Michael211_2000
Old Feb 07, 2010, 12:53 AM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Sr-71 Newbee here--

I ended up with Two RTF's that appear to come directly from Lanxiang. First, a wing on each plane was broken due to the transmiiter or battery in the plane box coming loose in shipping. Tried to get the vendor to send me just the center foam fuselage--had to pay--so I am looking for a US vendor that may have them--noticed BH is "sold out". Both my kits came with Lanxiang labeled 4S batterys (saw previous posts regarding usage of 4S packs). In one plane the rear retract servo is already broken--- the front retract servo won't retract the the gear all the way--will have to replace those. I noticed these are glued in place---whats the best way to remove them without killing the surrounding foam?
mray is offline Find More Posts by mray
Old Feb 09, 2010, 12:59 AM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Hey M-2000 and mray

You might look on Don's RC thread for info on upgrading, if you haven't already...dLdV has some great info here on this thread, between the two, you'll have a great SR....the real SR did indeed have all these movable surfaces, in fact the rudders were down right huge, the whole thing practically moved. It also had the whale tail, which we are finding out in flight of the model is very helpful....as are the rudders, the plane has LG and trying to line up with the runway with just elevons is asking for trouble, rudders a must...belly scratchers are not so critical because the runway is ususally a big grass field...hope this helps....I got an airframe only, sorry to hear all the equipment problems...I rarely get equipped models anymore, just for that reason...try gently prying, back and forth, this usually works the piece loose

Joe