HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2009, 02:00 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,441 Posts
A friend of mine (high school class mate) was the operator for the UAV from Iowa that the clowns tried to surrender to during desert storm. After three hours of Iowa, then Missouri blowing huge holes in the ground the enemy figured out that where-ever the little white airplane went a lot of hell was sure to follow.
Does that count as an R/C story?
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2009, 07:24 AM
Naval gazing
United States, MA, Boston
Joined May 2008
1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008
A friend of mine (high school class mate) was the operator for the UAV from Iowa that the clowns tried to surrender to during desert storm. After three hours of Iowa, then Missouri blowing huge holes in the ground the enemy figured out that where-ever the little white airplane went a lot of hell was sure to follow.
Does that count as an R/C story?
Foo
Yes and yes! Thanks for that! What I dont understand is why the FPV aircraft forum isnt called "BUILD YOUR OWN DRONE!"
spacephrawg is offline Find More Posts by spacephrawg
Old Jan 17, 2009, 08:45 AM
Joined Sep 2008
6,441 Posts
hit WIRED they had an article in 'geekdad' about making your own UAV
Foo
Old Jan 17, 2009, 05:51 PM
Naval gazing
Joined May 2008
1,228 Posts
The only RC sea story I have has to do with something I posted about in the summer. It was the second time I'd ever run my boat and a park ranger lady came by and said "IT'LL HAVE TO COME OUT OF THE WATER! IT'S NOT ALLOWED!" or something like that. Eventually, with your collective help I was able to look it up and discovered that yes it is allowed.

The first time I had ever seen a good RC submarine was at the same lake most of a decade before. Some middle-aged guy came by with what looked like $2000 worth of submarine and an FM controler. He put it in the lake and off it went, and fast too. I started asking him about it and he told me it was his third and that his first pulled a Thresher on him in the Charles River the summer before. His second had a camera in it. He was chasing swimmers with the sub while we were talking. Eventually I asked him if I could try it. he just gave me a look. My bro was there and laughed.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 09:45 PM
Joined Sep 2008
6,441 Posts
Tales of the sea chicken

Someone asked for some about actual R/C,
Not sure if a data link between a missile director and a missile counts....but here goes.
I was aboard a Sprucan (Spruance class destroyer (tin can)) my last cruise, and they were (thank god she is gone) equipped with NATO Sea Sparrow launchers just aft of the flight deck. Most people refered to them as Sea Chicken, not sparrow. Having never heard anything good about the system and knowing that if you did things according to the book it took over 20 minutes a cell to reload (with 8 cells on the launcher) we knew that our self defense capabilities were a little limited (learn to tread water real well).
When battle group charlie (centered around the carrier Carl Vinson) left from Pearl Harbor for the western Pacific we all had a chance to shot various lethal things at the ranges as a battle group. Now missiles are a little spendy so they don't send you the newest and best working warshots to shoot for exercises so they sent us a rather vintage bird to shoot.
The target came over and the director picked it up, about the same time as the after lookout (me) did with a pair of binoculars and MK 1 eyeballs. They locked it up and the engagement sequence started, the missile left the box and flew for approximately 500 yards before the engine quit and it slammed into the water. We were all dumb founded by its performance even for our Sea Chicken crew that was pretty sad and were securing from general quarters when sonar announced that the missile had transformed itself into the worlds fastest torpedo and was running a large circular course towards the carrier! We shouted to Vinson with everything we could but Vinson was getting ready to launch a sparrow of her own and wasn't paying any attention. Fortunately the missile ran out of fuel about 200 yard short of Vinson and sank in the Molokai channel in over 1,000 feet of water.
Glad I was never aboard when someone had to use one for real, Vinson fired a pair and missed with both and finally one of the tomcats took it out with a real sparrow. Total number of missiles fired at the drone 7 for one hit! (Hewitt had one never guide and went ballistic, our torpedo, John Young had some kind of malfunction and didn't even get close, and the carrier bracketed with a pair that wouldn't have gotten a kill had they been war shots, one of the FFG's flipped an SM-2 at it but it was inside the engagement range, and finally the kill with the fighter)
Foo
Old Jan 18, 2009, 07:01 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
Foo....as I remember the USS Hewitt, she never was any good at hitting stuff with her guns either. I was a GMM (sea chicken) man and 5" 54 man before that system was installed the USS Elliot DD-967, her sister ship, also a plank owner (original crew member). Our systems had good efficiency as noted by the "E"s on the weapons in the attached pics. We did have one bird lose a radome after launch and hit the water but that was my fault when I cracked it during manual loading.

The thing that bothered me was during a exercise that had a pair of bogies attack us...the lead bogie at 50 ft off the deck and abeam, was running full throttle straight at us, jammed our fire control radar and I just stood there and watched the thing do a dance while it was trying to relock on the target as the second bogie put 2 simulated missiles into us. Doesn't do a lot for confidence. I also loved the way we would light our selves up to attract incoming away from the carrier!
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Last edited by Capt.Crash; Jan 18, 2009 at 07:19 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 08:49 AM
Naval gazing
Joined May 2008
1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghappy
Foo....as I remember the USS Hewitt, she never was any good at hitting stuff with her guns either. I was a GMM (sea chicken) man and 5" 54 man before that system was installed the USS Elliot DD-967, her sister ship, also a plank owner (original crew member). Our systems had good efficiency as noted by the "E"s on the weapons in the attached pics. We did have one bird lose a radome after launch and hit the water but that was my fault when I cracked it during manual loading.

The thing that bothered me was during a exercise that had a pair of bogies attack us...the lead bogie at 50 ft off the deck and abeam, was running full throttle straight at us, jammed our fire control radar and I just stood there and watched the thing do a dance while it was trying to relock on the target as the second bogie put 2 simulated missiles into us. Doesn't do a lot for confidence. I also loved the way we would light our selves up to attract incoming away from the carrier!
Should I ever get to sail my PT at a club where someone else has a cruise ship, I'll retrofit a mooning figure or two. "DO NOT MOON THE FRENCH CRUISE SHIP" LOL.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 09:40 AM
Joined Sep 2008
6,441 Posts
hog,
I remember seeing the bunny on the mount! How did the chief get killed in what was normally and unmanned gun mount?
We had an MM1 on my first ship (a CF Adams class DDG-5) who's hair had gone white, when he grew his beard out (which matched) he made bank doing Santa Claus when we were in nof_ck. His kids thought he looked like the character of Papa Smurf (dress blues with the white hair). He didn't mind being called Papa but hated being called a smurf. When we left VA on the way to Beirut his kids sent him one of those talking smurf dolls for Xmas. I was gun captain of mt 5-2 on our ship and one day when were on the gun-line (waiting for someone to tell us what to shoot at) he came running up to the gun house with a roll of duct tape and the smurf doll. He leaned into the gun house and asked if we were going to fire in the couple of minutes I said no. He asked me to lower the muzzle of the gun and I switched from remote to local control and did as he requested. He then taped the smurf to the muzzle and told me to give him a heads up before we fired so he could get his camera. About 45 minutes later he had it (the camera) propped up in the observers dome of the mount when we sent it to Lebanon!
Loved the skipper of that ship, if you weren't on watch he would let you go into other departments and qual for watches. he loved cross training. We were always short on gunners and OS's for some reason. So I got qualed to run a radar console (bridge phone-talker) and after almost three years on 52 made it all the way from ammo humper to run the gun house, also got qualed to stand sounding and security in the engine rooms. And I was a BM!
God love small boys and skippers who love to steam the ship and shoot the guns! Skipper didn't care what we looked like just that the steel hit the target and we could get there in a hurry.
Foo
Old Jan 18, 2009, 09:46 AM
Joined Sep 2008
6,441 Posts
Gunner,
Were you on Hewitt when they had replaced the 40 air search antenna with a Grey painted one? We used to piss off the OS's during Emcon by being able to identify Hewitt and John Young at ridiculous ranges because Hewitt had the strange colored air search radar, and Young had blue canvas spray curtains on the bridge wings.
Foo
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:13 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008
hog,
I remember seeing the bunny on the mount! How did the chief get killed in what was normally and unmanned gun mount?

Foo
The gun was shooting in auto and a powder case didn't eject and jammed the gun...the skipper was yelling at the chief over the headphones to get the gun going and he forgot to turn everything off and take the keys with him before he jumped up into the gun...he was straddling the loading cradle, as soon as he pried the shell loose it loaded another round with him in the way. That cradle swung up and rammed him into the top of the mount....instant bloody mess. It happened so fast nobody even knew what was going on before it was too late. Sad part was he and his wife had just had a baby and he had only made Chief a few weeks before this happened. Rest in peace Chief...I will never forget you!

I only deployed on the Elliot and a ammo ship.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:47 AM
Joined Sep 2008
6,441 Posts
Hog,
Sorry bout the chief....When I was GC on my DDG they used to warn us to stay well clear of the loaders and fuse setters because to them your arm or leg would look like a shell at it would gladly take those things and stuff them in the breach. The BM2 who taught me to work up high (on the mast) taught me to take a fuse puller and take the fuses out and with me since some people (OS's and FT's) will actually reach under a red tag to turn something on. A buddy of mine got swatted off the mast by an air-search radar on Coral Sea (thank god for safety harnesses) wasn't too impressive to the Admiral(s)when they pulled into VA with him hanging from the radar sponson though....
Foo
Old Jan 18, 2009, 11:25 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
I had a FT (fire control tech) ignore my RED TAG and turn on some 440 just as I was splicing with my buck knife...took a nice chunk out of the blade and scared the you know what outa me. Tags were in place and it still happened.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:15 AM
Naval gazing
Joined May 2008
1,228 Posts
I heard a sad story once in high school about a seaman on a DDG who was given the job of painting the radars but the CIC forgot to turn the buggers off. The man got cooked and died in a few hours 8>(

On the bright side, at least it isn't the russian navy we're talking about. We all know the crazy stuff that goes on there.

I hope this thread doesnt turn into a sad-fest 8>( There are so many tragic stories. We remember those but often forget the happy ones. To retell the sad ones honors the dead but I think so too does enjoying the life we still have because if the dead weren't dead, they'd want us to be doing the same too.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 12:15 PM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
A question for the Spruance sailors:

If an incoming boggie was 50 feet off the deck, how come you didn't use the Phalanx? I thought Spruances had at least two of those puppies? I got off active duty a couple years after they finished retro-fitting all the tin cans with Vulcan Phalanx's.

A very sad story about your GM chief.
gobigkahuna is offline Find More Posts by gobigkahuna
Old Jan 19, 2009, 03:12 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigkahuna
A question for the Spruance sailors:

If an incoming boggie was 50 feet off the deck, how come you didn't use the Phalanx? I thought Spruances had at least two of those puppies? I got off active duty a couple years after they finished retro-fitting all the tin cans with Vulcan Phalanx's.

A very sad story about your GM chief.
This was before they were added to the ships complement of weapons. The Sea Sparrow was our last line of defense at that time. They installed the Phalanx after the Elliot's first WestPac cruise and I never got to see them. I'm glad they upgraded to a better last ditch defense than clouds of chaff and sparrows.