HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2009, 08:14 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
A moment that makes one question his sanity

One day on the cable watch we arrived in the safety zone to find a bunch of pleasure boaters in the area. Of course these guys never listen to broadcasts on the vhf warning them about the hazards. I made my rounds to all the boats that were anchored and made the request that they pull anchor. They didn't have to stop fishing, just not drop thier hook on a several million dollar cable with high voltage running through it. The last on I pulled up to had a guy that loooked to be a biker dude. He looked rough and pulling up to the side of his boat he looked as though he was going to try to jump on my deck. I told him he was going to have to pull his anchor and move out. To my suprise he was very polite and quickly went forward to haul his hook. A lot of them would try sneaking out to anchor when it was pea soup fog. Many running without a fog horn or even lights. But radar always showed where they were and I would appear off thier bow to make them move.
I would have to say though that the worst ones out there are the blow boaters. I was inbound to the the dock for relief and running in shallow water. My 53 had a 7' draft and could not vary too much in the channel fairway. I had watched a small day sailer/Hobie cat streak across the fairway from my port side and continue on. I thought no problem he is gone past. 5 minutes later when I was in the channel with no where to go he came streaking up on my starboard side heading for a crossing right on my bow. I was making way at 12 knots with the tide following. He didn't even try to alter coarse just kept bearing down on the bow. I had to cut hard over and grab full reverse to keep from running him under. As he passed off the port side he looked at me as though I was wrong and gave me the one finger salute.
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2009, 09:44 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,863 Posts
blow boaters with the sails up were always the worst, we had a 30ftr smashed and held against the bow (by the pressure wave) of a large lake freighter(ss algoway) in the St. lawrence. the skipper of the freigher was in full reverse for two miles to get her stopped and free the raghanger. the blow boater claimed he had rite-of way and the freighter should have manuvered to avoid him...
tghsmith is online now Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Jan 16, 2009, 10:10 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tghsmith
blow boaters with the sails up were always the worst, we had a 30ftr smashed and held against the bow (by the pressure wave) of a large lake freighter(ss algoway) in the St. lawrence. the skipper of the freigher was in full reverse for two miles to get her stopped and free the raghanger. the blow boater claimed he had rite-of way and the freighter should have manuvered to avoid him...
Yup,in my last job I found demanding the ''right of way'' can get you very dead.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Jan 16, 2009, 10:53 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,460 Posts
Very Funny Umi story....thanks for the chuckle!
Capt.Crash is online now Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:19 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Rag Baggers are the dumbest out there. I love it when they run up one sail, fire off the motor and then proceed out. They think that because they have a sail up they have the right away. I was captain on a crew boat that took investigators out to the Coal Freighter M/V Barkald after the S/V Essence struck her bow and sank. Here was an incident where the Barkald held his course but the Essence came up on the wrong side in a passing situation. Wrong thing to do and the mate ended up with his fiance dead because he did the wrong thing. Drunk pleasure boaters are almost in the same class.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:20 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
When I was younger, a looong time ago (a teenager),
I Had learned to sail in San Francisco at the old Alameda Naval Air Station marina. I my lightning fast 14 foot laser thought I could outsail anything afloat. Also in my ignorance thought that I, as a sail boat (i.e. not under power) had right of way over anything with power. Now my father, CO of a fast combat stores ships (AFS-7 the San Jose), heard me open my mouth once too often and borrowed a small motor boat and had us slooowly crawl up to the bow of the ship while I laid on my back in the bow. As we did this he informed of the first true rule of the sea tonnage has right way! you may have right of way but if he smashes you inot a grease spot who wins?
Five years later when I was active duty on a destroyer we pulled into Japan (Yokusaka I believe?) and the damned Greenpeace nitwits showed up to protest a nuclear powered anything pulling into Japanese waters. The skipper of the Carl Vinson actually aborted his first entrance into the harbor! The skipper of the battle group lost his temper and order the CO of the Vinson to put a pair of hose teams on the forward corners of the flight deck and hose anyone who got too close.
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:25 AM
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
When I was younger, a looong time ago (a teenager),
I Had learned to sail in San Francisco at the old Alameda Naval Air Station marina. I my lightning fast 14 foot laser thought I could outsail anything afloat. Also in my ignorance thought that I, as a sail boat (i.e. not under power), had right of way over anything with power. Now my father, CO of a fast combat stores ships (AFS-7 the San Jose), heard me open my mouth once too often and borrowed a small motor boat and had us slooowly crawl up to the bow of the ship while I laid on my back in the bow. As we did this he informed of the first true rule of the sea tonnage has right way! you may have right of way but if he smashes you into a grease spot who wins?
Five years later when I was active duty on a destroyer we pulled into Japan (Yokusaka I believe?) and the damned Greenpeace nitwits showed up to protest a nuclear powered anything pulling into Japanese waters. The skipper of the Carl Vinson actually aborted his first entrance into the harbor! The skipper of the battle group lost his temper and order the CO of the Vinson to put a pair of hose teams on the forward corners of the flight deck and hose anyone who got too close. The knuckleheads had managed to avoid the police launches by utilizing about half dozen zodiac inflatables with big motors that were quicker than the local police launches (who were trying themselves from being run over by the carrier for being too close). Did you know that a 2 1/2 inch fire hose can fill a zodiac so full of water that it can barely make steerage way (making it easier for jerks to be caught by the cops) in about 10 seconds? The hose teams from Vinson (and her crew who had had to man the rail for something like four hours) had quite the time with the hoses!
Foo
Last edited by fooman2008; Jan 16, 2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: oops double post!
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:51 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008
Now my father, CO of a fast combat stores ships (AFS-7 the San Jose), ...
Foo
Hey Foo...I remember that ship! I was stationed up the bay a piece at Concord, Ca. on a ammo ship called the AE-29 USS Mt. Hood....back in the early 70's.

Now that was a ship that reminded me of Mr. Roberts...where they sent all the screwup officers. We ran her into the pier at Alameda one night when we were supposed to be sneaking in to remove all the nukes that were not supposed to be there.....funny the huge convoy of trucks with the red lights flashing and manned by Grunts with M-16's...gee we aren't going to attract attention!

Every time we came to port after that they would send the tugs out as soon as we approached the Golden Gate bridge and make us shut down....didn't want us to hit a bridge I guess. We also managed to pump oily bilges into the bay while tied up in Seattle...a little embarrasing when they put the yellow ring around the ship to contain the spill...not to mention the time we managed to flood her while sitting on a floating dry dock. One time when we went out on independent cruising the C.O. had me (I was a Gunner) go down to the armory and fetch his lever action Winchester and a case of grenades back up to the bridge. He had the bosens toss over some 55 gallon drums and had the helmsman circle will he tossed grenades and shot up the drums....I couldn't wait to get off that thing. We caught fire at sea once and everyone (the other ships) took off and said we were on our own...good luck. The original Mt. Hood blew up in port in WWII...I hated that ship! Had fun on the fork lifts though (fork lift fights)! Talk about pucker factor first time ya see a bomb roll off the forks and roll across the pitching deck and plow into a bulkhead! I remember pulling the pin on the gun captains seat and watched him roll onto the deck while the 5" gun was pumping rounds into the water....gee I guess I fit right in now that I think about it!
Capt.Crash is online now Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Last edited by Capt.Crash; Jan 16, 2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 01:48 PM
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
Gunners

Gunner,
Damned gun bunnies always making a mess on my deck! Most of the time on tin cans they thought the entire ship (and the entire crew) was just there to tote around their gun mounts....
We had one of the best GMGC's (Gunners Mate Guns Chief Petty Officer) in the navy and a Captain who loved to shoot small arms. He would always get four or five 55 gallon drums of lube oil (even though we had four tanks that were just fine), after a few days under way he would pump extra oil from the drums into the tanks and we would have 'fun' with .50's, M-60's, M-14's. The skipper was doing his best Winston Churchill imitation (complete with stogie and bowler hat!) blazing away with a 50. (for proficiency don't you know!) when the CPO said that he could get in the OMC (One Man Control station) of 'his' gun mount (5-1) and that at 4000 yards (2 nautical miles) he could put one round short of the drum and splash it into the air, and, with a second round, put a hole in so it sank. The skipper told him to put his money where his money where his mouth was and bet $50 he couldn't. Needless to say a lot of bets were made while they were manning up 51. The skipper ensured that the fire control guys were not in the director (to aid the chief) and told him fire away. The chief loaded two round BL&P (Blind Loaded and Plugged, filled with sand and plugged, exercise rounds) to the trays and fired away, the first round went right through crest of a wave as the drum rose, and it flew 50 feet in the air, he waited while it hung there for a second and center-punched the second right through it!
The Chief it turned out was hiding his light under a bushel and he was a three time Navy skeet shooting champion. When we would get the clay pigeon thrower out he would bring and M-14 and shoot doubles while most of us were having a hard time hitting singles with a shotgun.
Last edited by fooman2008; Jan 16, 2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: need to learn to spell (and proofreed better!)
Old Jan 16, 2009, 04:03 PM
Naval gazing
United States, MA, Boston
Joined May 2008
1,232 Posts
Umi, that story was amazing. I totally saved that.

Toesup: while I have to say that if I owned an $8million tug I would be muttering the same thing, still, daaaaaamn. Does not inspire confidence at all!

The rest of you guys, I'll comment in a bit.
spacephrawg is offline Find More Posts by spacephrawg
Old Jan 16, 2009, 04:38 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Jack
So...CG Bob was a "blackshoe".
Spent some time in Kodiak myself.
As well as a watch standing member of the black gang.

Some of the model blow boaters can be as bad as those that sail the full size boats. I've see Captain Chaos run his Soling 1M in Lake Erie a couple of times, and almost get hit by power boats - because his sailboat model has the right of way.

Summer of 1988, and I'm aboard CGC VIGOROUS and we're on patrol in the Carribbean looking for druggies or illegal migrants. This day we're near Haiti, and we come across a 40' wood sailboat with about 70 Haitians looking for freedom and gold lined streets. We have some of the "guests" on board our ship, and the 1MC announces "DC1 G--- lay to the bridge". I go topside, and I am told the CO wants to see me. I'm trying to figure why the CO wants me. Our converstaion goes something like this:
CO - DC1, I know you're good at fighting fires. How good are you at starting them?
Me - Captain, I was born in Chicago. I don't need O'leary's cow; just some gas, JP5 and some flares.
CO - That's good, I want you to burn the sailboat.
Me - Before or after we get the Haitians off?
CO - After we get them off, and get about 3 miles away. Get your gear and get in the RHI when we get our guests aboard.
Me - Aye aye sir.

I go see the Gunner to get some flares. I get 5 gallons of gas and 5 gallons of JP5. All of the Haitians are aboard our cutter, so I get my gear and board the RHI. We motor over to the sailboat, and I climb aboard. The boat crew hands me the fuel, and I start spreading it in the bilge, on deck, and on blankets. Just my luck, there's a 5 gallon plastic can with a lid aboard the sailboat. I put about a quart of gas in there and seal the lid real tight. I signal for the RHI to come get me and hand down my empty fuel cans. After jumping into the RHI, i throw a couple of lit flares onto the sailboat, We move off about 50 yards to make sure the boat catches fire. The boat engineer asks me about the 5 gallon plastic can, and I said it should kick off about - BOOM - now. I thought the BM2 boat coxswain was going to need clean shorts after my little fireworks explosion. That can cooked off and went airborne about 80 feet - leaving a colorful smoke trail. We head back to our mother ship, and the CO meets us at the boat deck. He says, "DC1, I wasn't expecting a fireworks show." I replied, "No extra charge sir."
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Jan 16, 2009, 04:53 PM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,863 Posts
the day we felt like we ripped off, 1979 off florida on a 82ftr have spent the last twenty hours rolling and drifting in the gulf stream babysitting the smoldering hulk of a burn-out 160ft or so freighter, we got relieved by a 95ftr(we had been on our way in on the 7th day of a five day patrol when this happened) 2 hours later the insurance agents overflew the hulk and declared it the total loss it was... the 95 ftr got orders to sink it with 50cal fire minutes later....
tghsmith is online now Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Jan 16, 2009, 07:05 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
the day we felt like we ripped off, 1979 off florida on a 82ftr have spent the last twenty hours rolling and drifting in the gulf stream babysitting the smoldering hulk of a burn-out 160ft or so freighter, we got relieved by a 95ftr(we had been on our way in on the 7th day of a five day patrol when this happened) 2 hours later the insurance agents overflew the hulk and declared it the total loss it was... the 95 ftr got orders to sink it with 50cal fire minutes later....
Now that really sucks. the 95 got all the fun after you guys babysat for 7 days. I hope you gus turned back for a few rounds
Old Jan 16, 2009, 07:13 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
One of those OH Ship days

We were running outbound for our patrol for the day. Fog was so thick that I couldn't see more than 40 feet off the bow. My deckhand had gone below for the first part of the day. I was running slow checking the chart plotter as well as the radar to make sure nothing was in my way. I heaved to to make an adjustment to the sea clutter and rain clutter as well as reduce the range. I had the fog horn going off as I should have hen all of a sudden a inbound tug appeared off my port side. I had to grab the throttle and hit balls to the wall. As soon as we were clear I hailed the tug. He didn't have me on his radar and I didn't have him either. That was one of those days when I was tempted to return to the dock and not tempt fate. How is it that two large vessels can not see each other in the fog on radar, when both are made from steel.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 09:10 PM
Naval gazing
United States, MA, Boston
Joined May 2008
1,232 Posts
I'm really loving this stuff. Does anyone have any RC related sea stories?
spacephrawg is offline Find More Posts by spacephrawg