HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2003, 09:36 AM
Iowa
Joined Oct 2001
595 Posts
Can li-poly packs cause glitching?

a year or so ago i got in on the deal where Hacketts Electronics was selling surplus Qualcomm phone batteries. i bought five packs and a charger. did the conversion, left the protection circuits in place, and shrunk wrapped the packs.

a couple of days ago i charged up two of the packs and stuck one in a homebrew fanfold plane that uses the little GWS motor from a tigermoth. the other equipment is a GWS feather receiver and a pair of their dinkly little servos. castle creations pixie ESC.

to check out the setup i fired up the transmitter (hitec three channel FM) and then plugged in one of the qualcomm packs. nothing but glitching. both servos operating simultaneously, swinging back and forth and not responding to tx inputs. ESC blinking continuously. motor beeping quickly but not responding to throttle commands.

a long story short.... i plugged in the other pack and everything worked as it should. servos responding correctly, motor running fine.

what's up with this? could that first pack be malfunctioning in such a way as the cause the problems i described?
ronnath is offline Find More Posts by ronnath
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2003, 05:58 PM
Senior Moment Member
Virginia Beach, Va.
Joined Jan 2002
1,233 Posts
Those are actually Li-Ion rather than LiPo cells, but that's not important.

It is probably the protection circuit on that pack. If you can bypass it temporarily by hooking directly to the cells and powering your receiver give it a try.

Some of those protection circuits don't do well when you start pulling more than a cell phone would demand, that's what they were designed for.

Some of the circuits do well at over 2 amps, some start choking before you get to 1 amp, and start producing all kinds of little spikes and dips in the output. You can use the circuit for charging only and leave it off the pack for flight.

Jimmy
Capt. Electron is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Electron
Old Mar 10, 2003, 05:33 AM
Iowa
Joined Oct 2001
595 Posts
thanks, captain, i'll give it a try.
ronnath is offline Find More Posts by ronnath