HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2003, 05:27 AM
Australia
Joined Mar 2002
419 Posts
you're seriously joking right? I can't fly without a sticker??

I thought I would share this story with ezoner's at it happened earlier today...

Today one of the clubs in town had a warbird day of which friends and I were invited to. I was running late and arrived probably an hour after my friends had. Since there was a crowd of spectators I had to park my car a couple of hundred yards away from the field, planning to make 2 trips I took a tempest and me262 out and headed towards the flight pits to find where my friends had setup (and hopefully had left some space for me).

When I find them, they are simply standing there waiting for me to arrive, no planes, just themselves. I asked where their planes were and here's the reply I got...

'well I was flying my me163 doing an inverted pass, when someone from the hosting club came over and told me to land. I did so, and then was promptly told to not fly again as the plane didn't have any german stickers on it'...

Consequently all my friends had packed up, myself simply turned around and headed back to the car. We all went to a vacant field and had a blast flying about for the next few hours.

All I can say is that some members of that club (which number over 400 in total) are very 'strange' and simply won't be getting any further support from anyone I know. When it comes down to putting a sticker on your plane which allows you to fly it or not, the situation is beyond rediculous.

May their glow motors burn lots of fuel and spray lovely sticky stuff over their planes for years to come

Share your stories, there has to be some other weird events happening out there...

Mark
Pants is offline Find More Posts by Pants
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2003, 07:02 AM
WC,WS,WC
Joined Dec 1999
713 Posts
I regret to hear that - its a patological problem, this is, a DISEASEA affecting some club members. You know, among us here in the Ezone some have shown not simililar but other forms of that diease - they call it "purism", but I would call it "raw fundamentalism". If you were flying with the nazi insgignias, i could understand it, but would not accept it. Now that the problem was opposit, I neither undersand nor accept it.
PT
PTLdom is offline Find More Posts by PTLdom
Old Mar 09, 2003, 07:26 AM
Formerly of mcba fame
Luxembourg
Joined Apr 2001
3,007 Posts

Are you saying you were rejected for lack of scale fidelity?

Just enjoy yourself elsewhere, you're well rid of them!

Matthew
Matthew Allen is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Allen
Old Mar 09, 2003, 09:00 AM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
Did it sound like this (only if you watch Seinfeld)???

"NEIN VLYING VOR YOU!!!" (Sticker Nazi)
In all seriousness that's funny in a very sad way. They might as well have said... "Sorry mates, you can't fly here because the Me109 you're flying is using Panzer Gray instead of Schwarzgrau."
flipnidaho is offline Find More Posts by flipnidaho
Old Mar 09, 2003, 09:06 AM
Plane hugging cat
Mackay Queensland Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
Well, I'm a hermit which is why I fly in the backyard rather than in a club, but the last I remember is the club here is okay.

Sorry to hear of your experience.

BTW did you say "clubs"? Try one of the other ones.
Vonbaron is offline Find More Posts by Vonbaron
Old Mar 09, 2003, 10:23 AM
Frequent Flyer
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Nov 2001
757 Posts
The Flying Field Nazis

"NO AIRSPACE FOR YOU!" "Come back ONE YEAR!" "NEXT!"

Nowell York is offline Find More Posts by Nowell York
Old Mar 09, 2003, 04:27 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,308 Posts
Just out of interest as you describe this as a warbirds theme day with attendance by invitation could you elaborate on what colour scheme the Me163 was wearing??

Also the Warbirds chat starts in the #rcgroups chatroom in about half-an-hour if anyone wants to discuss it, or any other warbird- related matter there.

Brian
leccyflyer is online now Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Mar 09, 2003, 05:16 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
Club politics have done more harm to this hobby than anything else.
People seam to forget the bottom line, and that is to fly and have fun.
BillH is offline Find More Posts by BillH
Old Mar 09, 2003, 05:43 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,216 Posts
"Stickers? I don' need no steenking stickers!"
Surely this is a jest?
Your plane MUST be totally scale to fly at one of that club's events?
I can understand someone getting "offended" because of a nazi swastiki on a sport plane.. not WWII scale.. but other than that, NOT having something decorative is grounds for withdrawal of flying privileges??
That's what happens when your head is pointed in the wrong direction!
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2003, 07:54 PM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
Pink Power

Mark:

That's a sad story. Is there really a definition of what "scale" is? I would assume quite a few 1:1 me163's, etc., flew with various markings, many of which had little or none at all.

Too bad you did not have a pink Wingo to buzz around the field for a bit.

DaveWCO
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old Mar 09, 2003, 10:57 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
25,932 Posts
At least it woulda been a scale Wingo...

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 09, 2003, 11:12 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2002
419 Posts
Grin, I would loved to see their faces if someone had a pink wingo

It is very true to say the Me163's were probably the most colourful and colour varied plane I've seen. From doing some searches for my own colour scheme on the Me163 I found the Japanese had some (in bright yellow), and the russians also had some captured ones (red in colour).

It's a pitty the hosting club did what they did, for there were 5 of us who brought along EPP planes to do some combat which the crowd of spectators would have loved

M
Old Mar 10, 2003, 12:02 AM
Ah nuts, almost made it
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jul 2002
228 Posts
Excuse me Pants, is the club you are talking about called Tingalpa Model Aero Club?

PJ
pgjoh1 is offline Find More Posts by pgjoh1
Old Mar 10, 2003, 04:57 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2002
419 Posts
sent you a pm