HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2009, 04:56 PM
Joined Dec 2008
87 Posts
Build Log
Rc Snowmobile custom build!

Reason for being in RC Tanks, RCGroups.com does not offer a custom builders forum or a snowmobile forum, tanks have treads like snowmobiles. Please don't delete just move to a better forum if you must.

Hey guys, been thinking about building this thing for a long time but really seems my biggest struggle is getting a small enough motor with enough power to drive this thing, the track will weigh alot....and I mean, ALOT! (rc wise)

Well, my plans are simple, the body will be built when i know the frame and systems work but the steering servo will control a custom built steering system that I will explain later. But the drive for this snowmobile will most likely end up simply like this:

I will use a clutch from a go-cart to power the drive of the track, I will be using gears for a chain that I have (almost like a bike chain but wider, and a bit longer, plus stronger. I will take 2 chains of the same size and wild small 10 inch plates to them (the plates will be welded to BOTH of the chains so that it makes a custom tread, and hopefully this will be strong enough to last until I can use a better material, maybe even rubber, but I will then put two 2 inch wide by 1 inch high plates on the original 10 inch plate that will dig into the snow or grass for tracktion, this hopefully will work, still perfecting it. Now my problem is a big enough motor! the chain is going to be 60 inches in diameter maybe 80-100 links, per side PLUS the weight of the small metal tracks, PLUS the frame and motor, no easy task for RC, i think I will be using a hi-tourqe weedwacker motor, which most likely should do the job. Please put your input in, this is one of my 3 or 4 major rc projects that I am working on right now.
xzavin is offline Find More Posts by xzavin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2009, 12:59 PM
Joined Sep 2008
38 Posts
just a sugestion check this motor out
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...64/0/home.aspx
iceman21 is offline Find More Posts by iceman21