Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by PilotDragonfly, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 08:18 AM
Scammers need to go!
Slidell, La
Joined Oct 2006
1,446 Posts
Alert
What can lithium batteries do for you??!!

I started out yesterday taking my 1/18 buggy in the truck down the road by a levy that we usually run at and while I was there got a ticket for tresspassing. The surrounding neihborhoods decided to sign a petition to keep people away because the kids are tearing up the levy and the golf coarses with 4wheeler's. It was a local sheriff that I knew so the ticket was only $25.00 and wil be thrown out, no big deal. Well before I left there I decided to throw a battery on charge on the front seat like i've done many times before, so it was no big deal. It took me about 10min to get home and decide that "I was not going to bring the battery and charger into my hobby room to finish the charge" instead I just left it charging in the truck. I went in and started finishing up a friends heli when I heard my neihbor screaming fire If you knew my neihbors you'd understand the rolleyes! Then my wife starts hollering to me that our truck is on fire I grabbed the hose and started spraying my newly finished house and just watched the truck burn! We happen to no most of the crew that work the fire department so you can imagine the reaction we got from them So I ask, what can lithium do for you?!
PilotDragonfly is offline Find More Posts by PilotDragonfly
Old Jan 12, 2009, 03:00 PM
1 paycheck away from homeless
United States, KS
Joined Mar 2006
4,574 Posts
This is exactly why you're supposed to charge lipos in a fire proof container & not leave them unattended. You know I'd say that most of the fires I see reported by people are with chargers that were hooked to a car's battery.
ghostmechanic is offline Find More Posts by ghostmechanic
Old Jan 12, 2009, 03:01 PM
Scammers need to go!
Slidell, La
Joined Oct 2006
1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostmechanic
This is exactly why you're supposed to charge lipos in a fire proof container & not leave them unattended. You know I'd say that most of the fires I see reported by people are with chargers that were hooked to a car's battery.
You said a mouthfull sir! Never again will it happen like that!
Old Jan 12, 2009, 03:55 PM
Joined Aug 2007
438 Posts
man, sorry to hear the battery went off in your nice truck, well maybe you can use it as a LESSON to those who take them to lightly.... i allways try and keep my batteries in a ceramic container just incase they do blow up, must ahve got a whole lot of "nice" comments from the guys at the FD
calvino is offline Find More Posts by calvino
Old Jan 12, 2009, 04:51 PM
United States, KS
Joined Mar 2006
4,574 Posts
I wanted to add... Not on or inside your car. And try to keep them on a fire resistant surface as well.

It's too bad the place I work doesn't sell the battery boxes we use for testing batteries. They are much better than anything I've seen yet available to the public. But even if they did I'm sure the price would be out of reach for most of us. I guess the next best alternative is Mark Wood's lipo sack.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 05:04 PM
Scammers need to go!
Slidell, La
Joined Oct 2006
1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostmechanic
I wanted to add... Not on or inside your car. And try to keep them on a fire resistant surface as well.

It's too bad the place I work doesn't sell the battery boxes we use for testing batteries. They are much better than anything I've seen yet available to the public. But even if they did I'm sure the price would be out of reach for most of us. I guess the next best alternative is Mark Wood's lipo sack.
Actually i'm looking around for a battery bunker.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 05:26 PM
Japan
Joined Jun 2008
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorLush
I use a steel box with slide on cover for baking bread. Not too expensive. Maybe not the best, but feel quite good already.
Storage in my fridge is the same kind with thermometers in and out. But for carrying I have a thick stainless steel medical grade enclosure encased in a thick wood blast-proof box. Stainless part contain the fire, wood part have to deal with blast from inside and bumps from outside. All their markings and color are explicit enough to mandate a bomb disposal unit if found unattended.

YOU GOT lucky not to lose your whole car to the fire... most of the damage can be easily repaired I think...
G_de_Coligny is offline Find More Posts by G_de_Coligny
Old Jan 13, 2009, 12:13 AM
Love is like Pi: Irrational
USA, ND, Grand Forks
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
The truck is clearly totaled beyond anything, so just send the truck my way

Ron
ronmeister is offline Find More Posts by ronmeister
Old Jan 13, 2009, 02:44 AM
United States, KS
Joined Mar 2006
4,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorLush
They tell me the small ones we use that you can actually carry by hand cost the company $1,000 to make The large ones are close to $5,000 & you roll them around. Government paid for of course

The thing about lipos, especially larger lipos is, when they go off & are in something sealed or close to sealed... you have a bomb. They need to vent. And the fumes are pretty toxic. The bunkers we use have a suppression venting system that lets them vent but are still sealed. If that makes any sense? But we do much larger, more powerful, stouter batteries than lipos. Single use, very high voltage.

From the videos I've seen, Mark's lipo sack is pretty nifty for us hobbyists. As far as charging. I really see no big threat when transporting them as long as they don't get banged around or short.

I'm the world's worst about not taking care of them the way I should. Charging 7 or 8 of them at a time & leaving the room I transport them in a fishing tackle box But in my defense, most of my lipos are pretty small. They would mostly just smoke if they did anything. A lot of mine are just single cells.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmeister
The truck is clearly totaled beyond anything, so just send the truck my way

Ron
I already have dibs buddy
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:40 AM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
expensive way to tint your windows...
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Jan 13, 2009, 07:15 PM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
Humm...smoke tented....don't think DOT will approve.

Well he'll get a new interior with a lingering smell he well not soon forget.
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Old Jan 15, 2009, 04:45 PM
It'll buff right out
Palm Bay,FL
Joined Aug 2007
402 Posts
Charge them in a fire proof safe... fairly cheap and easy to get at your local "mart"
FLDewey is offline Find More Posts by FLDewey
Old Jan 15, 2009, 06:17 PM
Scammers need to go!
Slidell, La
Joined Oct 2006
1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLDewey
Charge them in a fire proof safe... fairly cheap and easy to get at your local "mart"
I thought about that, I have a small one that I never use up in the attic
Old Jan 19, 2009, 06:52 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Battery Bunkers

I've used pyrex bowls on flame retardant tiles, currently store in ammo boxes while charging in a lipo sacks...... However; just bought one of the large Battery Bunkers from Battery Bunker dot com

Sorry for your loss and all that paperwork!
simages is offline Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2009, 09:44 AM
Time for some fun in the snow.
TN
Joined Jan 2009
139 Posts
Now I'm going to buy a lipo bag. That sucks dude. Any recommendations on a good cheap lipo bag. I don't want any of my stuff to explode.
Traxxas Beamer is offline Find More Posts by Traxxas Beamer