HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2009, 06:08 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
Mini-Review
Walkera WK-2801 8ch Multifunctional Transmitter Review

Introduction:
A lot peoples, including us love the 4#3 and 4G3 as these micro helicopter can be flown in the smallest possible space available. The transmitter which came with the kit offer only minimum adjustments. For more advance pilot would like to have more adjustment like exponential, throttle curve, pitch curve, mixings, etc. And it is a pain to carry lot of transmitters if you have a few of these Walkera helicopters. Walkera had come to the rescue with their new WK-2801 transmitter. With all the functions found in high end transmitter and compatible to all Walkera 2.4GHz helicopters, make this transmitter very desirable for pilot with few Walkera helicopters or if you are just looking for a good computerized 8 channel transmitter at a good price.

Features:
This radio have build in manual for both helicopter and airplane. This may come in handy if you fly both. Lot of new features are included with this top of the line model like large LCD display with backlight, Automatic ID assignment, 2.4GHz technology, Wireless data transfer, 8 model memories, airplane and helicopter ready, fail save, stick tension and length adjustment, trim step adjustment, timer, alarm, hot key adjustment, etc. For helicopter manual include 3 flight mode, ccpm mixing (normal, 2 servos or 3 servos 120° configuration, remote gyro adjustment, auto gyro sensitivity mixing, Throttle hold, manual or automatic dual rate and graphic exponential, 5 point throttle and pitch curve adjustment, program mixing, revo mixing, etc. For airplane manual wing selection for flaperon, v-tail or delta airplane, elevator flap mixing, aileron and rudder mixing, landing system, flap system, program mixing, etc.

Operation:
The transmitter feature a medium size grip with non slip surface for sure grip during operation. If you have a big hand like mine may prefer a bigger grip but I can still get a firm hold on the transmitter. All the switches and trims are located at the usual location so it doesn’t take long to get use to it. It weight 692g without battery and it feel very balance. During power up the Walkera logo will flash in varies colour indicate it had not bind with the helicopter yet. And will turn blue during normal operation.

The receiver that comes with the transmitter is RX-2801. 8 Channel receiver measure 39 x 28.5 x 14mm and weight 10g. Quite small for a 8 channel full range receiver. I don’t have any issue mounting it between the frame of my copterX CX 200. And it is a one piece unit so you do not have to worry about mount the remote antenna unit.

I tried this transmitter with 4#3b, 4G3, 200 and 450 size heli and did not have any lost of connection or glitch. I am very happy with this radio but it would be nice to have more model memories. As it have only 8 memories but with the wireless data transfer you can exchange setting between two 2801 transmitters wirelessly. Which may it very handy and you don’t have to worry about losing data pack or SD card.

Conclusion:
For the price and performance of this transmitter, the quality of the plastic molding and materials for the casing is simply superb. This is really a high end radio with entry level price. The only thing I can think of which need improvement is adding more model memories. But at such price I can have 2 of them and it is still cheaper then the radio I am using now.

PRO:
Price
Feature
Work with every Walkera 2.4G helicopter and normal 6 channel helicopter
CON:
Need more memories
Would be nice if it comes with rechargeable battery
ehirobo is offline Find More Posts by ehirobo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2009, 09:13 AM
Conal Cochran
Albania
Joined Dec 2008
118 Posts
where's the charger port, and what batts does this thing use?
Jeff3213 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff3213
Old Jan 14, 2009, 06:01 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
The Charging pot is on the right beside the battery door. The one on the left is DSC / similator pot. It use 8 AA size battery. And both pot have rubber protective cover.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:46 AM
Don't crash. It's better
Tuggen, Switzerland (Yes: Banks and Cheese!)
Joined Dec 2007
174 Posts
I tried the wk-2801 with a creata rx-2701 and it doesen't work as expected: Just the Wk-2601 functions. That's not good at all. I expect that a creata can be programmed just like the "real" rc helicopters. Now I need to buy a rx-2801... that ehirobo hes not in stock till now. No idea what to do with that wk-2801. Seems to be useless for me if I can't use it on my creata or get a usable rx.
elgatosuizo is offline Find More Posts by elgatosuizo
Old Jan 15, 2009, 08:39 AM
Don't crash. It's better
Joined Dec 2007
174 Posts
Still no receiver to buy!?!
Such a mess!!
Did they expect really that I buy 1 tx for each model?? I need more receivers!!!
Old Jan 15, 2009, 09:15 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
Dear all:

We should get the 2801 receiver in stock right after Chinese new year. We understand it is pain in the back side too as I only have one receiver now and I have 3 heli which need this receiver. Regarding the issue with 2701 receiver as I only tried it with 2401, 2601 and 2801 receiver yet. I will get a creata 400 from our warehouse with 2701 receiver and see if I can get it works with the new transmitter. Will let you know ASAP.

Thank you and have a good day!

Best regards,
ehirobo
Old Jan 16, 2009, 12:11 AM
Foam flies better
From Canadia and proud of it!
Joined Jan 2006
3,199 Posts
lol, I want to see this thing come to usa. Now that would be interesting.
Fly Or Die is offline Find More Posts by Fly Or Die
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:10 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
Just place an order and it will be in USA in 3 days. Hehe
Last edited by ehirobo; Jan 30, 2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 09:17 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5 Posts
i order create 400 the same like you have and now i find out i cona have problems vith the reciver and rx , is this true du i cona havtu order new rx 2801 tu replace the rx 2701 iff i now this i order the special edition 60B walkera .
blesk is offline Find More Posts by blesk
Old Feb 09, 2009, 12:02 PM
Chalfont, PA
Joined Sep 2000
71 Posts
Its transmit power is extremely low. At 10mW, how does it compare with DX7's 200mW?
yjin is offline Find More Posts by yjin
Old Feb 13, 2009, 07:39 PM
Episyrphus balteatus
Sweden
Joined Dec 2008
183 Posts
Hi!

I would like to know if the WK-2801 is going to work in other models than Walkeras? I understand that it is not compatible with other brands of recievers, fair enough, but if I get other Walkera recievers, such as RX-2601 and RX-2701 will they work? If so, can I use these in my T-Rex 450 and in my fixed winged aircrafts?

I really like what I have seen of the WK-2801 but if it has limitations IŽll have to start looking for a more establised brand of transmitters.

Cheers!
Paxman is offline Find More Posts by Paxman
Old Feb 13, 2009, 07:47 PM
Episyrphus balteatus
Sweden
Joined Dec 2008
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjin
Its transmit power is extremely low. At 10mW, how does it compare with DX7's 200mW?
On Walkera the specification states "Output Power: ≤10Mw". That is actually 10 Mega watt... Typo maybe...?

Take a look on what it says on the line below: Current Drain: ≤120mA. That is milli Amps.

Cheers!
Paxman is offline Find More Posts by Paxman
Old Feb 16, 2009, 02:21 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
It will work with walkera 2401, 2601 and 2801 receivers. I am trying to find a 2701 receiver to try but we donot have any in our office or warehouse. Will try to get my hand on one and try it. And it does have a selectable aeroplane manual and will work with v-tail too.

Happy flying!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxman
Hi!

I would like to know if the WK-2801 is going to work in other models than Walkeras? I understand that it is not compatible with other brands of recievers, fair enough, but if I get other Walkera recievers, such as RX-2601 and RX-2701 will they work? If so, can I use these in my T-Rex 450 and in my fixed winged aircrafts?

I really like what I have seen of the WK-2801 but if it has limitations IŽll have to start looking for a more establised brand of transmitters.

Cheers!
Old Feb 26, 2009, 04:02 AM
Don't crash. It's better
Joined Dec 2007
174 Posts
Still no rx2801 toy buy! So sad! I want to use that radio for other models too! Otherwise it's overpaid against any futaba!
Selling this radio without the possibility to have more than one receiver is useless! It's a joke that one ca use it only for walkera RTF.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 01:49 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
The main problem that i am having with the 2801 radio and the rx-2701 is i cant seem to adjust the gyro gain. I bought the rx-2701 for my new Honey Bee King 3. I love being able to use the 2801 for both my 4g3 and 4#3b and that is why i bought the 2701 from terence at chinesejade. I got it today in the mail and installed it in my King 3 and got all the settings right for the swash and rudder. But i cant get the gyro to initialize when i plug the signal wire into the aux2 output on the 2701. I have to plug it into the gear channel and then the gyro will only operate in HH mode and i cant seem to adjust the gyro gain and it is unflyable. The tail wag is crazy. And then when i switch the gear switch to go into rate mode, the gyro will not correct at all. It will not even move the servo at all when i move the tail. But i get rudder stick input just no gyro. And if i unplug the signal wire the gyro doesnt correct any movement at all. This makes no sence to me at all. I thought walkera said the 2801 would work with all of there receivers? I have spent nearly 1000$ in the past couple months on walkera products and i have a brand new 4g3 that the tail went out in the receiver and then i ordered a new one and got it last week just to find out that the tail did not work in it either. Now i have a new 2701 that i cant use with the 2801 radio. Well i guess i can use the 2701 in my edf F-35. And that is probably where it will end up if i can't use it in the King 3. But if anyone has any tips to adjust the radio so i can lower the gain it would be greatly appreciated. I hope the rx-2801 becomes available soon, but i will probably wait to here if anyone has problems with it also.
buster7467 is offline Find More Posts by buster7467