HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2009, 04:23 PM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,614 Posts
Discussion
Anyone have a tracing of the bulkheads for the Berkeley Grumman F11F Tiger?

I've decided to try tackling a Tiger this winter as a research project.

I've hit the Russian website and have downloaded the image files, but I have a copy of the old Berkeley plans that I thought that I'd use as a quick reference to get the basic shapes right.

Of course, the Berkeley plans don't include all the bulkheads.

If Easytiger still hung out here, I'm pretty sure that he'd have a kit buireied in his collection.

Just as a brain-burner, I've found another though fantasy colour scheme that appeals to me as a RCN Navy Brat....
byrocat is offline Find More Posts by byrocat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2009, 04:51 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,318 Posts
Curtiss (Easytiger) gave me his kit of the Tiger. I plan on enlarging it for 66mm(505). I already did the Crusader for Minifan. Flew well this summer. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70959 PM me your Email and I will send you the templates on a 8x11 paper.

Fuzz
St. Martin is online now Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Jan 12, 2009, 03:25 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
theres always a model! I got the lindberg one sitting here in front of me.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Jan 12, 2009, 08:21 AM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,614 Posts
The Berkely plans and the various 3-views do not show the changes in the fuselage shape that go from the intakes through to the point where the intakes blend into the main cylindrical shape.

Looking at my Sapac Saab Gripen, I'm thinking of using the same basic layout -- the intakes and blend portion are a seperate unit with the remaining nose and then the aft fuselage being other components.

I don't think that it's difficult but probably tedious.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:00 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
well if it helps, I remember way back when I did my foam one for the "sonic pinch" in the middle I found it easy to run the wire ahead on one side then wire back across that section but with other side of the wire ahead, gave me a hour glass cut. In wood thats a bit tougher! hehe I did a tiny one on a RT Mirage by just cutting a long thin overl slit in thicker 3/32nd sheeting, then I used tape to pull it together so I could glue from the inside.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Jan 13, 2009, 05:05 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,318 Posts
Lot's O Parts. Started copying guys..

Fuzz
Old Jan 14, 2009, 01:58 PM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,614 Posts
I got the 3-page images of the templates from Fuzz (Big Thanks, meant honestly!)

I just have to figure out the basic shape of the intakes from inlet to the main fuselage section, and then generate a template for cutting out the actual sections.

I figure that the easiest way of building this would be to do the nose (simple shape plus canopy, inlet sections, and then the main fuselage.

I did spot somewhere a foam turner (like the wood working lathe) that allows you to cut the circular sections easily.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 02:20 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,318 Posts
Your welcome, Bruce. Good luck!

Fuzz