SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2009, 01:35 PM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,824 Posts
Discussion
VQ VTO ARF, anyone know anything about it?

I saw one of these hanging in a local Hobby People once and it looked so COOL!

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/159915.asp

Not knowing anything about it, I didn't want to spend the $89.99 asking price. Now they have it on sale for $49.99 and it is very tempting.

I'm curious, does anyone know anything about this model? I have a Delta Rocket model from this company and the quality is quite good.

I'm curious how they say it is "vertical take off" because I do know know how that is possible w/out hand launching it...

The one I saw at HP had landing gear on it which is very appealling to me as I've built and flow UFO's, but hate messing them up on asphalt landings.

Thanks in advance for any info you have on this model!
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2009, 02:58 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,967 Posts
VTO(L) basically means the plane can takeoff from a vertical position, and land in the vertical position. Most 3D aircraft nowadays can do this with stunning ease.

And since VQ seems to be putting out some good stuff, I'd say go for it, and put a monster powerhouse in that thing, to make VTO as easy as powerful
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 11, 2009, 03:56 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,824 Posts
Hmmmm....so I guess you just set it pointing straight up, on it's control surfaces?! That's what is confusing me as I've never seen that...

It is hella cool though!
Old Feb 04, 2009, 02:15 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
I got mine today

Tim
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Feb 11, 2009, 08:59 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
So I got mine built and set up, but I am waiting for decent weather.

The kit is fairly complete, no push rod connectors, It does include a pilot figure, so that equals the cost. It was very well packed , and the parts all seem to very high quality. This was actually built by someone and is not a bunch of laser cut parts glued together. I have #72. There is a down side to it being hand built by a non pilot, it was built heavy. And it has that huge rudder hanging off the back so a bit of weight in the nose would have been nice. Mine came in at 1.55lbs.

The servo slots are nearly perfect for an HXT-500 (within 0.2mm) I had to open one of the slots just a touch. The wires are neatly hidden by a set of holes in the top of the wing that allow the wires to pass through. This is not in the directions. The recommended power system seems to be an -08 motor, 18A esc, 3s900 lipo and an APC 7x5e. I used a TP 2410-08 motor, 8x6 ARC prop, turnigy 18A esc(soft timing), and an Electrifly 3s640 20c battery for my initial set up. You will have to decide how you want to mount the motor. I ended up using the provided stick mount, and using an aluminum amount hung the entire motor outside the fusealage.

It still took 4.75 ozs in the nose to balance the plane. The initial power set up only produced 46w. Not enough to fly. I now have a TP 2408-21 spinning a GWS Hyper Drive 10x6 with the turnigy esc set on hard timing and an Evo-lite 3s1345mah 30+C battery, I am now producing 165W max.

It also needs taller wheels.

If the plane flies like I think it will, kind of floaty at low speeds, it may be an ideal arial photog plane. The keel, for the lack of a better term, could be left off and a camera set up attached there.

I have a lote of time on the Lightflight Bug which is a similar design, so I expect nice slow handling and a robust fast flight aerobatic ability.

Tim
Old Feb 12, 2009, 06:28 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
I have more pics if anyone is interested.

Tim
Old Feb 12, 2009, 06:36 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,824 Posts
I'm interested in hearing about your first flights. I have one of these beautys waiting to be built one of these days...

Too bad about having to add lead to balance, I HATE doing that. When I do build mine, I'd like to minimize any weight needed to balance.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 09:07 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Spicy, with that huge rudder I did everything I could think of to move the weight forward. I just assumed that it would be tail heavy. Not really clear is the way I hung the motor. It's outside the fuse on the end of the stick mount. I would like to run a cg program on it, but since it's a delta-ish wing I am unsure whether my regular CG program will work.

It should fly like a Bug from Lightflite http://www.lightflite.com/ I have around 700 flights on the bug. I'm hoping the VTO will have a better glide ratio.

I will try to video the maiden of the VTO. I won it in a lotto, a pick which lotto and the guy that threw the lotto took one look and added it with my name on it. After I won and after I picked it, built it and put the recommended gear on to determine that it would not work. He then mentioned that he didn't see how it could fly. Quite the compliment I think. Anyway video was requested early on and I will do so.

Tim
Old Feb 12, 2009, 09:41 PM
"Bible Thumper"
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
It would have been neat it they added vtol gear on the tips.
AMTJIM is offline Find More Posts by AMTJIM
Old Feb 12, 2009, 11:50 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
From standing the plane on it's tail, it leans a lot to the side. I will try a regular rog at first. I added a couple of layers of CF on the bottom of the stab. I am also hoping to find a set of taller wheels.

Tim
Old Feb 13, 2009, 08:15 AM
"Bible Thumper"
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
So you think this thing is well built, a few complaints on VQ models is stopping me...how would you rate it?
AMTJIM is offline Find More Posts by AMTJIM
Old Feb 13, 2009, 08:21 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
It is built heavy, but I was suprised at how much of a true stick build this is. For example the cross bracing is installed so that it gives support to both the open frame but the firewalls(?) as well. The covering is good and tight, and everything lined up perfectly.

Tim
Old Feb 13, 2009, 11:03 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
OK, I have run the plane through 2 different cg calculators and both indicate that the give cg is way to nose heavy. The one I am leaning towards using is designed for delta wings. This is technically a delta. There is one more cg finder that is manual that I will try. No matter what I do I cannot reproduce the given CG The closest I can get is by adding a static margin of 0 and the CG is still aft of the given mark.

Tim

Quick hit, the cg from the delta calculator hits a spar. And the visuals from the manual. I wonder if this is an oops in the manual production, scaling-wise.

Tim
Last edited by FERNDALE AIR FOR; Feb 13, 2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 11:10 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNDALE AIR FOR
OK, I have run the plane through 2 different cg calculators and both indicate that the give cg is way to nose heavy. The one I am leaning towards using is designed for delta wings. This is technically a delta. There is one more cg finder that is manual that I will try. No matter what I do I cannot reproduce the given CG The closest I can get is by adding a static margin of 0 and the CG is still aft of the given mark.

Tim
I'm very interested to see what you come up with Tim. Your experience is sure to help out us other VTO owners!
Old Feb 13, 2009, 11:11 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMTJIM
So you think this thing is well built, a few complaints on VQ models is stopping me...how would you rate it?
Though I haven't put mine together, I can see that it is well built. I also bought the VQ Delta Rocket when it went on sale at Hobby People and I'm impressed with its build quality too.