Closed Thread
Old Jan 11, 2009, 06:32 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Discussion
Need help with my GWS Pico Stick..wont turn left

I have a GWS PICO STICK....Need Help Please
I flew it Pico Stick for the first time and it went up pretty fast but I could only get it to turn Right…it would not respond to the left…all my trims are even and plane is balanced…I’m starting to get confused…I test my ailerons left and right and everything seems to be fine but when ui go and fly it,,,it wont go left…it just barely turned back to neutral but a full left was something I could not get the plane to do…have you encountered a problem like this and does anyone have any suggestions? Or advise? to fix this problem?

Reggie
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2009, 06:56 AM
United States, NC, Dobson
Joined Jan 2007
1,217 Posts
Do you have any down right angle to the motor, to counter torq, the tail? Yaw
RCHSF is offline Find More Posts by RCHSF
Old Jan 11, 2009, 08:21 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton
I have a GWS PICO STICK....Need Help Please
I flew it Pico Stick for the first time and it went up pretty fast but I could only get it to turn Right…it would not respond to the left…all my trims are even and plane is balanced…I’m starting to get confused…I test my ailerons left and right and everything seems to be fine but when ui go and fly it,,,it wont go left…it just barely turned back to neutral but a full left was something I could not get the plane to do…have you encountered a problem like this and does anyone have any suggestions? Or advise? to fix this problem?

Reggie
Reggie, this won't help much with your stated problem, but in the picture, you have your wings mounted backwards. It will fly better if you turn them around.

The vertical surface assembly, in the back, is known as the "fin & rudder",
the back, movable part being the rudder. If that part follows your inputs to the control stick, your plane must turn the way you command.
Be sure & refer to the manual that GWS provided with the plane, and do
exactly as they advise. Good luck, you have a very fine plane to learn with.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Jan 11, 2009, 09:31 AM
Yea..When mowers fly!
The White House?
Joined Apr 2008
1,574 Posts
Yes Reg, Your main wing is on backwards. That would make it very difficult to fly.
Jay-viator is offline Find More Posts by Jay-viator
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:01 AM
Woodland Park, CO
Joined Jul 2000
828 Posts
It may still turn poorly when the wing is mounted correctly. I found these planes flew MUCH better if you added some dihedral. A Rudder Elevator only plane needs significant dihedral to turn well, and these have almost none right out of the box.
Tim K is offline Find More Posts by Tim K
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:27 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
yes i had changed the wing after i took the photo, so that was already done before i Flew....
i was trying to Fly in Front of my APT parking lot which isnt that big...i was under the impression this can be flown in small areas...So i went to a local Soccer Field 5min away and it Flew Fine once i got in there...WOW i really like it....the turning is still a big on the draggy side tho but it does turn....ok and what is a dihedral and how do i modify my plane to have that..i'm new to Planes...i just got this Pico Stick and a GWS Slo Stick...that one is a LOT bigger.....i flew that yesterday and fell in love with Park Flyers..i'm used to Flying Large and Small Heli's and i just wanted to take a break and enjoy the stress Free Park Flyers...
So let me introduce myself..

Here is my Fleet at the moment...
i have been Flying Heli's for about 9 months now and planes,,,,,well 2 days...haha..
i wanna get another plane like a next start or avenger...something large with like a 48 to 60something wing span....a trainer of course....but for now i'm just enjoying my 2 park flyers, My Raptor and some small Heli's i collected thru out the months.

Reggie
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:41 AM
United States, NC, Dobson
Joined Jan 2007
1,217 Posts
Wow cant believe that I missed that, man I need to pay more attention. Sorry
RCHSF is offline Find More Posts by RCHSF
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:56 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
hey what's up Outback......lol,,,no need to be sorry...if anyone is to be sorry if should be me for not paying attention.....cant believe initially i put the wing on Backwards...haha..
when i bought my first heli i had the blade grips on backwards,,,so i was giving it almost full throttle and nothing and when i let down on the throttle all the way down,,,,,,that's when it lifted off ground.....Near death experience.....i had to learn the hard way to Fly Heli's....i want to make it easier on planes......Sucks tho on the weather,,,u have to wait until it's a calm day....it's hard to find that these days...

Reggie
Old Jan 11, 2009, 02:47 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Reggie, dihedral is the angle between the right & left wings. On your picture of the 2 together, the Slowstick looks about right, while the little one is way too flat.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 03:49 PM
Woodland Park, CO
Joined Jul 2000
828 Posts
I just used some string between the wings to pull them up and together at the tips. I don't recall exactly how I did it, but it changed the turning ability dramatically.
Tim K is offline Find More Posts by Tim K
Old Jan 11, 2009, 05:36 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
i am so confused now..i just flew it local park again to see if i can spend some time Flying..it flew ok but turning was not that great....i seem to have to go fast all the time and that uncomfortable...i was hoping this thing would glide thru the air...it was a bit windy but not too much....then a slight gust of wind caught me and i landed against a tree..fortunately it wasnt stuck too high in tree..i almost lost it forever...im a little frustrated....i still dont know what a Dihedral is but what ever it is I WANT IN if it's gonna make it Fly better.. With this Dihedral,,,will i be able to glide better at slow speeds and turn a lot better? i dont even want to Fly it any more after what just happened..
i hope someone can help to create this dihedral....what do i do and is it worth my time to create this dihedral i mean will it make a night and day difference in my flying?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 06:27 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Reggie, here is the picture Mr. Lin provided with your kit, showing how to put in the correct dihedral angle. You will notice that he says that is what you need to make it fly good.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 06:40 PM
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Jan 2006
1,102 Posts
Quote:
i still dont know what a Dihedral is but what ever it is I WANT IN if it's gonna make it Fly better..
Here's what I did to aid turning...it's called polyhedral. Essentially, upsweep on the wings. It's my slowest, easiest to fly airframe.
I just sliced thru the wingtips, and glued them back at an angle. Really did help me anyway.
gofish is offline Find More Posts by gofish
Old Jan 11, 2009, 07:34 PM
Ridley Park, PA
Joined Apr 2007
22 Posts
Reggie - It can be confusing. Lot of good advice here. I had problems with mine. I added dihedral by using fishing line (just happen to have lots of it around). You can use clear tape and tape it to one wingtip. Then pull up on the wings so they have a bow in them and tape the line or string to the other wing tip. It seems the more dihedral the easier it turns.

I was going to try the polyhedral wing but haven't yet.

Bowing the wings (Dihedral) will make a huge difference in the way it flies.

John
jscibello is offline Find More Posts by jscibello
Old Jan 11, 2009, 07:36 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,580 Posts
I have/had several Pico Sticks/Cubs, etc and none of them turned good in slow flight, especially if its a bit windy. So I just took a extra piece of depron type material and made a rudder almost twice the size. That alone made a huge difference.

But your wings look almost flat. I would think that would be hard to do, since the center wing connectors are made at a angle. Butch
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Closed Thread