Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by aussief3b, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 01:41 AM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,582 Posts
Discussion
3. F3B & League of Silent Flight 1982 - 1987

After picking up a 3rd place with my Maestro Mk3 in my first sailplane contest at the Eidsvold Central Qld Championships in 1982 I was well and truly hooked on contest flying. The Australian Aeromodelling Championships were held in Warwick (my home town) that year so I entered the Maestro in both the F3B and the Thermal Duration contest. Even though I acchieved quite a respectable place in F3B with this old bird (12th) I knew I would need different equipment for this type of contesting. I also learned in this my first F3B contest that F3B was a lot more fun than just duration. Though this big bird always launched on winch with fairly bendy wings they got beyond bendy in the 3rd round of the Nats TD contest and the wing tips finally decided to clap hands. That was the end of the Maestro but the new F3B competition that was developing looked like something that could be real challenging. I had joined the Brisbane Model Soaring club and I bought an (approx 110") RTF F3B ship from another flyer. It had damaged wing tips so I shortened them and my "clipped wing" F3B ship became a bullet in the speed task with ballast on board. It had a glass molded fuse and foam cored, balsa sheeted and glassed wings. They were super strong and not flexy at all. For ballast for the speed task I used an extra long 1/2" dia stainless wing joiner bar instead of the stock alloy one. 3 feet of 1/2" stainless rod actually. Practised for the 1983 Queensland F3B Championships and competed well - winning my first contest in fairly windy conditions on the Sunshine Coast. The shorter span of my model really contributed to very consistent execution of the speed and distance tasks and she held her own in duration as well. This - my first real F3B ship met it's end shortly afterwards with another launch mishap in windy conditions. My next F3B model was to be a Ralph Learmont Southern Sailplanes design called a "Ricochet". I built the "Unlimited" version with veneer and glass covered foam core wings. (Rather a heavy ship of about 85oz and 118 inch span.) She was the last big glider I would fly for a long long time. I was introduced to an organization called the League of Silent Flight by Marty Vels of the Brisbane Model Soaring Club and I set about achieving the tasks. I built a 2 Metre "T Bird" for the Sailplane Expo that runs annually in Armidale and also managed my 1 hour slope duration flight for LSF level 2 with the TBird.
The friendships created flying sailplanes and competing in contests were a real bonus. The BMSC were a great group of people who not only promoted the hobby to others but actually provided a lot of assistance and encouragement as well. I lobbied to have the F3B championships held in Warwick in 1987 and the club agreed. I prepared an appropriate field with a tractor and slasher and had the pleasure of hosting the contest "at home". I managed to place 2nd behind David Vels on my home turf with my Ricochet. Gary Jordan came 3rd flying a Dassel (an amazing aicraft of speed record fame.)
That was to be my last experience with model sailplanes for over 23 years. My wife had provided me with a wonderful daughter and two new sons and these babies required some concerted effort to feed em and raise em. The models got packed up in boxes in the garden shed and were neglected as my attention shifted to career and home projects.
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by aussief3b; Oct 14, 2010 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Missed something
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2009, 05:13 PM
Cleveland Ohio
Cleveland Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
244 Posts
genie

woudnot it be great to have a classic genie?

bill
wsnowfall is offline Find More Posts by wsnowfall
Old Apr 01, 2009, 08:05 AM
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Feb 2005
77 Posts
Icon Wing Tip

AussieF3B,

I have an Icon wing tip gathering dust in my shop. It was all that survived of my Icon from the 2006 Soaring Masters. The tip is in great shape. The tip is White over Red, with Tequila sunrise coloring on the top tip. It still has a 368 installed. Make me an offer.

If you are interested in Icons, I have two Thermal Icons that may be for sale. Both are white over red with Tequila sunrise tips. Both have 368s & 3421s in the usual places. One has 6 seasons on it, but still in good condition, ready to fly less receiver, asking $800, OBO. The second Icon is 3 years old, but has less than 25 flights on it. Pristine condition ready to fly, less receiver, $1800.

Ron Kukral
SOAR Chicago
soarx4 is offline Find More Posts by soarx4
Old Apr 18, 2009, 04:03 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,871 Posts
Hi Aussie, I was there! at the Warwick champs in '82. I wasn't competing, I was only 13 yo but the whole event was awesome, in a down home kinda way. I was into indoor micro's and F3A at the time but because we flew TD and slope my folks and I checked out the sailplane events, chances are I was the young teen pestering you with questions way back then. I was born at Warwick, but left Swan Fells with my folks when I was only 5 yo.
Steve.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Oct 14, 2010, 08:24 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
Hi Aussie, I was there! at the Warwick champs in '82. I wasn't competing, I was only 13 yo but the whole event was awesome, in a down home kinda way. I was into indoor micro's and F3A at the time but because we flew TD and slope my folks and I checked out the sailplane events, chances are I was the young teen pestering you with questions way back then. I was born at Warwick, but left Swan Fells with my folks when I was only 5 yo.
Steve.
Hey Steve,
Since you've posted this we have made friends with Peter and Caroline Goldsmith who live in IL. Peter tells me he was also at the Warwick Nats flying some powered events. We never met then either. It certainly is a small world mate.
Gordon
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member