HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:30 PM
Joined Dec 2008
14 Posts
Discussion
A-10 from BananaHobby...Is it a "Buy" or "Don't Buy"?

I am really interested in the brushless A-10 model, looks like it has a lot of potential. It would be my first entry into ducted fans and for the price that Banana is selling it for right now, doesn't seem like a bad deal....except for all the horror stories out there!

Any success stories out there or is this thing just going to break apart as the engines spool up on my maiden flight?

Any insight would be welcomed!
Schnee555 is offline Find More Posts by Schnee555
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:17 AM
ohio, usa
Joined Jan 2009
3 Posts
I bought the brushed version for my son, seems to be a very good plane. Took about 10 days with regular ground ship to get here, but was new in box as said. no complaints from me.
tgrant51995 is offline Find More Posts by tgrant51995
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:52 PM
Women Fly Too
Twentynine Palms, CA USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,061 Posts
Schnee555, I purchased that A-10 and maidened it. You need to make sure it gets a long run before pulling up on the elevator, but it flys very well. I am pleased with the airplane. Mine took a little adjustment to get it flying levelly, some up elevator and a little adjustment on the ailerons. Pretty much normal adjustments for any airplane on a maiden.
Just remember that it isn't a speed demon. It still looks like it is flying fast due to its smaller size, so it does have the illusion of speed.
Hope you have fun with yours. Caley
CrashCaley is offline Find More Posts by CrashCaley
Old Jan 14, 2009, 10:34 AM
Joined Jan 2009
27 Posts
Was it the brushed or brushless motor version?
Aero777 is offline Find More Posts by Aero777
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:08 PM
Women Fly Too
Twentynine Palms, CA USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,061 Posts
Mine was the brushless version. Take a look at the videos of both the brushed and brushless versions to see how they fly. I've never flown the brushed version, so I can't really say if the brushless is any more powerful, though I prefer brushless over brushed anyday. Best of luck with whatever you chose. Caley
CrashCaley is offline Find More Posts by CrashCaley
Old Jan 14, 2009, 11:54 PM
Joined Jan 2009
27 Posts
I figured when you said it was no speed demon you were referring to the brushed version. The brushless one looked like it was moving pretty good in the video but apparently it's decieving (I'm guessing it doesn't do the 70 mph as advertised). I actually have the brushless version, however one of the motors was DOA after I put it together. I'm waiting for BH to send me a new one.....hopefully.

I have checked out some videos on youtube and saw a little electric A-10 that was the one I thought I had purchased doing 70+ easily and wondered what I got myself into. So, I'm glad it doesn't fly too fast.

How fast would you say it flies at full throttle and level flight?
Last edited by Aero777; Jan 15, 2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 01:27 PM
Joined Dec 2008
14 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately you can't view the Brushless A-10 video on BH website, looks like it's been pulled due to a copyright infringement...kind of gets you wondering.

I am as surprised as Aero777 on Crash's speed description. I remember that video and there was a noteable difference between the brushed and brushless climbing characteristics. The last thing I want to do is place an order and get a brushed unit when I am paying for brushless.

Did any of you get the RTF version with their radio or you using your own transmitter? Thanks!
Schnee555 is offline Find More Posts by Schnee555
Old Jan 15, 2009, 02:01 PM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnee555
Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately you can't view the Brushless A-10 video on BH website, looks like it's been pulled due to a copyright infringement...kind of gets you wondering.

I am as surprised as Aero777 on Crash's speed description. I remember that video and there was a noteable difference between the brushed and brushless climbing characteristics. The last thing I want to do is place an order and get a brushed unit when I am paying for brushless.

Did any of you get the RTF version with their radio or you using your own transmitter? Thanks!
I did get the brushless version from BH. The plane is ok...the radio (mainly the servos) are...let's say to be kind...lacking. The servo they sent for the ailerons had a broken wire and promptly fell apart. Don't think I'd trust any of that radio gear. I put my Optic 6 (recv, servos and xmtr) in it. Left the one servo that came on the nose gear....doesn't much matter if that one fails or not.

The plane is cool and flew like a rocket....although it's hard to tell exactly how fast....looks like a rocket anyway, but does handle nicely.

Had a problem with the balancer that came with it, As I had purchased a decent charger/balancer I really didn't need that one but I did pay for it and expect that BH should provide same. They sure didn't have any problem accepting all my money. Still trying to get that issue resolved....much frustration trying to contact or get any response out of BH...if you love frustration, BH might well be your ticket.

If I do another one, I'll find a slope version elsewhere and put my own gear in it.

If you're looking for service...be well advised...read through these last few weeks of threads....make your own decision. Join the ranks of frustrated BH customers if that's to your liking....

Good Luck to you,

Don
Brner is offline Find More Posts by Brner
Old Jan 15, 2009, 03:10 PM
Joined Jan 2009
27 Posts
The copyright was from WMG or Warner Music Group. I'm assuming it was for the music used in the video. WMG has been cracking down all over the net for copyright infringement.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 07:30 PM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero777
The copyright was from WMG or Warner Music Group. I'm assuming it was for the music used in the video. WMG has been cracking down all over the net for copyright infringement.

Yep you are correct. I have to use different music from now on. Bummer too. I was putting the artist credits at the end of each video too.

Pete
banana hobby is offline Find More Posts by banana hobby