SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 10, 2009, 08:10 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Discussion
World War One, anyone

I see far less build threads; or, just plain interest being shown World War One Aeroplanes here, than at any of the other R/C Forums! Is this because this forum is chopped up into so many topics? Or, is this just not the place to discuss building and flying World War One Aeroplanes?

My stable includes a Dynaflite SE5a, a Great Planes Electri-fly Fokker Dr1 and DVII. I am building a Balsa USA 1/4th scale Neuiport 28, I have plans for a 1/5th scale Sopwith Pup and am going to buy plans and a short kit for a 1/4th scale Albatros DIII from Dave Johnson of Top Gun fame. I am heavy into WW1, anybody else here so afflicted?
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2009, 06:33 AM
scale, scale, scale
Joined Jul 2007
41 Posts
mode one......
I am also very much into ww1 aircraft....large scale....only recently joined these forums....but also picked up the hobby again after 25 years absence......
recently scratch built the SE5a about 35 inch wing span..nothing that great as i ussed it a s a bit of a re-introduction into the hobby...made it from foam core as well as balsa....silly really..i thought it would take me far less time to build.....ended up becoming a mission to complete...

anyway....i'd be interested in knowing how detailed the plans are for the albatros DIII....etc....i'm looking to either build a WACO...or another WW1 craft..

cheers
szczepan
szczepan is offline Find More Posts by szczepan
Old Jan 13, 2009, 07:02 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
szczepan, Dave Johnson is a top competitor at Top Gun and the Nats. with his 1/3rd scale Albatros DIII and DVa models. Although I have yet to see his plans, I feel confident in saying his plans are world class as far as outline and construction are concerned. Details are more the individual choice of the builder.

Was starting to think this thread would leave the 1st page without response! Thanks for your come-back! Atleast there are two of us WWI nuts, here on R/CGroups
Last edited by Mode One; Jan 13, 2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 08:42 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,726 Posts
RCSB is the place to go for WW I types. The BUSA and Designer forums should have plenty to hold your interest.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 13, 2009, 08:56 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,740 Posts
RCSB???

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:17 AM
United States, WI, Elm Grove
Joined Apr 2007
414 Posts
RCSB = http://www.rcscalebuilder.com

You need to be a supporter (contributor) to post. Great WWI plane builds also at Mick Reeves and Proctor forums.

Jim
jjscott is offline Find More Posts by jjscott
Old Jan 13, 2009, 05:55 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
RCScaleBuilder.com is a great site and I am a member and yes there are great build threads going on there. It does however, cost money to be apart of RCSB and I was interested in seeing if there was interest here.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 08:47 AM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
Most of the WWI nuts that I know of hang out in the scale electric forum, scratch building WWI aviation is where it's at, in my opinion.
Wufnu is offline Find More Posts by Wufnu
Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:07 AM
scale, scale, scale
Joined Jul 2007
41 Posts
hi all......
i'll be watching this one pretty closely.....
i have just spent the last couple of months researching the Albatros DVa....gotten a lot of good detailed drawings.....some copies of Bob Waugh's drawings from the Albatros Bible etc.....Will be starting to think about a 1/3 scale build shortly.....just need to finish my workshop and get some decent tools.....
would love to have your thoughts....ideas etc...along the way.....this will be my first "big" build............so lots of "learning" along the way....
szczepan is offline Find More Posts by szczepan
Old Feb 01, 2009, 11:36 PM
Prince George, BC
Joined Jan 2009
31 Posts
I'm new to this site, but have had a long love affair with WW I aircraft. Below are some pics of my Proctor Albatros DVa, and my FunAero SE5a. I have a 1/4 Fokker DR1 kit to build soon.

SAPERGIA is offline Find More Posts by SAPERGIA
Old Feb 02, 2009, 02:07 AM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
I mentioned in a thread in the GWS forums that the Albatros (Specifically the DV(a)) is the best looking WWI aircraft and your picture just proves my point.

That is a beautiful model. Do you have any video to share? How did you make the engine? It all looks great.
Old Feb 02, 2009, 06:59 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Indeed, the Albatros Series are beautiful airplanes. I prefer the DIII over the DV/Va; but, we're splitting hairs. I think the Pfalz DIII is the most beautiful airplane to come from that war. However, Sapergia's model is superb, without doubt and I am extremely jealous as I would love to build this model from Proctor! Alas, I got laid off from my job last Tuesday, so a project of this magnatude is out of the question until better times!
Old Feb 02, 2009, 11:52 AM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
Sorry to hear that, hope those better times come soon for you.
Old Feb 02, 2009, 09:42 PM
Prince George, BC
Joined Jan 2009
31 Posts
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. I built the model BDC - Before Digital Cameras, or at least before I had one. I have lots of pics but they are all hard copy prints.
The engine parts come to you in the kit made of plastic. But the water jackets are so thin that I decided to discard them and make them out of birch. In fact, I needed weight forward, so I filled the cavities in the bottom of the first three with lead Even with that I added 1 1/2# of lead to the firewall to balance the plane. It weighs 22 pounds, flies strong with a Saito 180. Looking at the top view of the engine, you'll see the pipe from the rearmost cylinder is joined by another coming from inside the airplane. This routes the exhaust gases and smoke out of the scale stack...very realistic. I modeled the aileron controls to the stick and followed the information on the plans to make the ammunition boxes for the guns. Making the chutes for the belts and spent brass was quite a project. But it was worth the effort. This project took me two years to complete.
SAPERGIA is offline Find More Posts by SAPERGIA
Old Feb 03, 2009, 02:08 AM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
It was worth it, what a beaut. Love how you got the scale exhaust to work!
Closed Thread