HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2003, 08:55 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Mini-Demon, Inner-Demon Gearbox Questions

I saw the review in the latest Quiet Flyer and saw them at MWE.

I'm getting fed up with the Aero Vee MM-1 motor mount in my LT-25. It seems the pushrods, sandpaper, double sided sticky tape and Goop just doesn't prevent the motor from turning eventually.

Anyone experienced with the Mini-Demon and Inner-Demon gearboxes. I'm attracted to the EZ mount system that can be added. I should have paid closer attention at MWE about these products.

The Mini-Demon is rated to 600 watt but my LT is producing about 700 watts (Mega 22/30/2, 4:1, 15x8, 16 2600s 40-45amps). Do you think it would hold up especially when I'm flying along very slow then punch it to go vertical. Thats ususally how my motor slips.

The Inner Demon would work but it weighs 8.1 ozs with the EZ mount before you add the motor. Too heavy.

Another solution would be to buy just the Mini-Demon EZ mount and an adapter plate that allows the bolt pattern of my motor to be used. There is a picture of an Endo mounted using this adaptor. I could use the EZ mount and sandwich the adapter between the Mega motor and Superbox and my motor would be permanently mounted and life would be simple again.

I've emailed the manufacturer these questions but I always like to get users opinions

Thanks for any advice

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2003, 11:20 AM
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2001
1,183 Posts
Kelvin, I'm not familiar with the Aero Vee mount, but have you tried using a hose clamp to tighten the motor to the mount. I've never had a motor slip when using a hose clamp.

Norm
Norm is offline Find More Posts by Norm
Old Mar 08, 2003, 10:12 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
Did you see the weights on those Inner Demon gearboxes, or their prices, in that article?

The trick for the AeroVee is to use a snippet of that beaded foam stuff that's sold to keep things from sliding around on shelves in RVs and such. I've a Hacker B50L-13 with an MEC gearbox in my LT-25 and that little square of Rubbermaid non-slip stuff has pretty well done away with the slippage. Combine that with a hose clamp as Norm suggests and it'll never move (if you can find a hose clamp that's threaded so that you can completely open it up so that you can thread it through one of the zip-tie slots in the mount).
BEC is online now Find More Posts by BEC
Old Mar 08, 2003, 11:49 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
I picked up a Mini Demon at MWE when I saw a magic fly for 21 minutes on a B40-8L. It was a lithium pack but it was so quiet and looked cool!

Onto the AV mount, which is what I used until I go the MD.

I used a 20/22/2 with a 5:1 gearbox, 15-8 with 12 cells and the motor was always solid, even when I had a Aveox F12 on it!!!! In fact alter the crash at MWE the motor was still solid, but had pulled loose and the silicon.

I found by using hi-temp silicon to anchor the motor and the zip ties it was always solid. If I could find hose clamps that long I would use em though!!!!

I like the rubbermade pad idea though! Thanks BEC, see you in a couple months.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Mar 09, 2003, 12:14 AM
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
Oh, I think that 700 watts should be OK since you won't be WOT all the time.

Here is a pic of the Aero-Vee for those unfamiliar with it.
Old Mar 09, 2003, 09:19 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Where do you get hose clamps that are narrow enough to fit in the slots for the tie wraps. I've never seen any that narrow that would be long enough.

Bernard
I've got some of that rubber shelving stuff. Do you just glue it on the mount? I've got some marine Goop and 3M Super7 adhesive.

In the latest QF magazine Inner-demon has strategically placed an ad on the pages around the article. The Mini-Demon is $69. I don't know how much the EZ mount is or if that's included in the price but the ad picture shows it with the Ez-mount.

They show an Endo with and adaptor plate and the Mini-demon for $110. They mention an E3D although I can't see how you could mount it and put a spinner. It would stick too far out.

The weight of the Mini-Demo gb is 2 oz with the Ez mount its 2.9oz.

The Inner-Demon is 6.2oz and with the Ez Mount is 8.1 oz.

Fred, did you get the EZ mount with your Mini-Demon? How long are the extensions.

Thanks

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Mar 09, 2003, 11:25 AM
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2001
1,183 Posts
I helped a guy mount his Maxcim in one of those AeroVee mounts using a hose clamp. We just widened the slot a little in the mount to make it wide enough for the hose clamp. This was for about an 800 watt power system. As BEC pointed out, get a hose clamp that can be completely opened, but I haven't seen any that couldn't be. I doubt you need to actually glue the RV shelf stuff to the mount. Just placing it between the motor and mount should be adequate.

Norm
Norm is offline Find More Posts by Norm
Old Mar 09, 2003, 02:43 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
No glue required - just put it between the motor and the mount and tighten 'er up. It really is that simple .
BEC is online now Find More Posts by BEC
Old Mar 09, 2003, 10:42 PM
Vancouver Intl, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
322 Posts
Just as a little note, cinch up the hose clamp AFTER you bolt the mount to the firewall... and when removing the mount (for some reason) take the motor off first.

I found that if I didn't the mount would immediately deform plastically from the force of the ties I was using.... which of course required some counterforce from the great persuader.
Aviron is offline Find More Posts by Aviron
Old Mar 10, 2003, 01:03 AM
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
Kelvin, the Mini Demon can be mounted right to the firewall without the standoffs. I also think the standoffs can be cut to about any length within reason. You could even have the motor goign through the firewall.

Oh, the AV mount is under $15 from New Creations.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 08:29 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Inner Demon GB

I have an Inner Demon GB that I bought from the author of that Quiet Flyer article...it may in fact be the exact box that is pictured on the first page of the writeup (thanks Neal!).
It is kind of heavy, as mentioned, but it appears to be about as bulletproof as a gearbox can be made. HUGE bearings, everything is heavy duty to the max. The pinion side is 100 teeth, so it has a wide range of ratios possible. I am not quite sure what I'm going to do with it yet. I thought about trying to adapt it to my 1/4 scale B-USA Nieuport 28 project, since it will need all the nose weight it can get, but I can't find any straight-cut gears that'll fit the Astro 25 I bought for the project, dagnabbit.
Kelvin... if you need any dimensions off it, or any general questions you can't get answers to from a picture, just ask.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick