SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 09, 2009, 08:33 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5 Posts
Discussion
Aquacraft SuperV 27

I am a new rc boat owner and could use some advise. I purchased an Aquacraft Super V brushless boat and and very happy with it. My question is can I raplace the Nimh batteries with 7.4v 3000 mah lipo batteries. I was told that the ESC may not be able to handle the lipo batteries. They are the same size so fitment is not a problem. The stock ESC is a 45A. Please help a new boat owner.

Thanks
dennybiker is offline Find More Posts by dennybiker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2009, 08:53 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,617 Posts
you may have some adjusting to do to get the cg in the right place(about 8" forward of the transom)...the main propblem is the fact that, for all intents, the low voltage cutoff is set too low for running Lipos w/o the real possibility of damaging them.
Rex R is offline Find More Posts by Rex R
Old Jan 10, 2009, 05:34 AM
Joined Nov 2007
13 Posts
You can add a lipo cutoff that will prevent any damage. We have never had a problem after adding it. The safest one you can get is here http://www.kintecracing.com/Supervee_27_upgrades.html
This one was reprogramed to 3.3v which keeps you in the safe zone.
1Riverrat is offline Find More Posts by 1Riverrat
Old Jan 10, 2009, 11:41 AM
PERTH WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Joined Dec 2008
457 Posts
dude thats why i bought a blackjack 26 brushless and done a little mod or 2 now it screams...and its got better hardware like the aluminum water cooling sytem hey i got the sv27 supervee aswell but that bj26 iz much better especially in windy conditions which we get alot of over here in australia water never freezes here ........
ferral is offline Find More Posts by ferral
Last edited by ferral; Jan 10, 2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 02:08 AM
A piece of sublime engineering
Malaysia
Joined Nov 2008
67 Posts
LoL!.. lets help our brother here rather than make him feel any regret, Ferral. IMO, It's aint fair comparing the 2 because sv is deep V and bj is a cat hull. Both type has different rides characteristic. Probably Denny prefer deep V more. We must respect his choice and what he has chosen. SV27 is good boat as well with the right setup.
So Denny, what is your goal or main objective by switching to Lipos? Are you looking for more speed? Longer run time?. And what is your limitation? i.e just the changing of batteries with everything stock? Bare in mind, with Lipo.. safety first. LVC is needed to prolong the expensive Lipos life.
Cheers,
-z9-
zypher9 is offline Find More Posts by zypher9
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:46 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate all responses. The main thing I am looking for is longer run time. Since this is the first RC boat I have owned it is plenty fast enough for me for now. Maybe I should just go with a higher Mah batteries. I would like to keep the boat stock with the exception of perhaps a different prop and a change of batteries. Any opinions would be appreciated.
dennybiker is offline Find More Posts by dennybiker
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:26 AM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,038 Posts
I am using 4500mah LiPo batteries on an otherwise stock boat which is nice for run time and still seems to work very nicely. I think I will get the Lipo cutoff from Kintec racing since there is a risk of damaging the Lipos because the ESC cutoff voltage. Right now I just don't try to push it, but it is hard to tell what is "too far".
cyberhoops is offline Find More Posts by cyberhoops
Old Jan 25, 2009, 05:29 PM
Joined Dec 2007
17 Posts
So What Did You Decide?

After all the feedback, what batteries did you decide to go with? I still need to purchase a second set so I can get more than 20 minutes out of a session. Someone today told me to go with LIPO 5000. However, the risk is not worth it to me.
pcasamento is offline Find More Posts by pcasamento