HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2009, 10:18 AM
Joined Jan 2008
2 Posts
Discussion
Piper Super Cub Plans from RCM

Hello Everyone,
Does anyone have any experience with the Piper Super Cub plans available on rcmmodeler.com? Here is the link

It is listed under the "Sport" category so I'm sure this is NOT scale project. I'm just looking for a good Super Cub for both land and sea without dropping $700+ on the Balsa USA 1/3 scale version.
racurtis is offline Find More Posts by racurtis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2009, 12:14 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,402 Posts
racurtis,

Welcome to the forum!

The biggest difference between the J-3 and the PA-18 from a modeling standpoint is the engine cowling. The tail feathers are shaped a little bit differently, but in modeling, ain't nobody gonna know...

The option you have here to get the Super Cub look is to pick up a J-3 kit and buy an after-market PA-18 super Cub cowling from Fiberglass Specialties:

http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/

FS shows Super Cub engine cowlings for the following J-3 kit manufacturers:
- Sig (1/6, 1/4 scale)
- Great Planes (.40, .60 size)
- Balsa USA (1/4, 1/3 scale)
- Goldberg (I'm guessing Anniversary J-3)

I was going to go this route, but I was able to get my hands on an Ikon N'wst 1/4 scale PA-18 Super Cub kit.

Let us know which way you go, this subject comes up now and then.

Good luck!

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Jan 09, 2009, 12:52 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,402 Posts
racurtis,

I posted the following pics:

J-3 Cub (full-scale)
PA-18 Super Cub (full-Scale)

J-3 (1/4 scale) Sig Clipped Wing Cub plans
- vertical stab/rudder
- horizontal stab/elevator

PA-18 Super Cub (1/4 scale) Ikon N'wst plans
- vertical stab/rudder
- horizontal stab/elevator

You can see the differences in the shape of the tail feathers on both the full-scale aircraft and the model plans.

Like I said in post #2, the differences are subtle.

EJWash
Old Jan 09, 2009, 02:02 PM
Joined Jan 2008
2 Posts
I think that's the reason why I wanted to do a Super Cub instead of another variant. I already have a clipped wing, 40-sized version but wanted to go larger, possibly a 90-120 size. I had read a few posts on other sites about modifying regular J-3 kits for flaps and I'm starting to think that I will have to go this route until I found the kit on RCM. Granted it only has a 70" wing span, and I'm looking for something larger, but it's a start.
racurtis is offline Find More Posts by racurtis
Old Jan 09, 2009, 02:19 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,402 Posts
Did you already order the RCM plans?

I see that it lists 5-channels, so it may have flaps. The J-3 kits typically do not, but a modification that can be made.

If you're looking for true 1/4 scale, the J-3 and PA-18 Super Cub both have a 35' 3" wingspan, so you're looking at the 106" (105.75" actually) model wingspan range. Several of the kit makers offer large-scale J-3s:

Sig - 105"
Great Planes - 90"
Balsa USA - 108"

If you want to scratch build, Hostetler's Plans (http://www.hostetlersplans.com/) offers a 127" J-3, and the plans also build a clipped wing and Super Cub. Float plans are also available. Fiberglass Specialties can fix you up with a PA-18 engine cowl.

EJWash
Last edited by EJWash1; Jan 09, 2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2009, 03:12 PM
Sunshine Coast
Joined Jun 2008
37 Posts
Anyone have info on J-3 144" 1/3 scale Nelitz plans. Have found a set of plans but not sure how these plans are for scratch building.

Good bad watch out for's ??

Thanks
rcmodelman is offline Find More Posts by rcmodelman
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:21 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
Ever complete this conversion?
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:26 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmodelman View Post
Anyone have info on J-3 144" 1/3 scale Nelitz plans. Have found a set of plans but not sure how these plans are for scratch building.

Thanks
I've built three over the past 30 years.Most difficult operation is his scale wing mounting system..I don't have plans anymore,but I drilled the wing ribs out to the fourth one on each side,and used an aluminum tube,through the cabin CC.Standard procedure now on most planes.
A G-62 with a 22" prop looks nicer,than the 18" prop on a Quadra he recommends.
My first one ,built for a friend,is still flying.

That's the only downside I considered....Ha- it's just a bigger small airplane.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:13 PM
Houghton Lake MI
Joined Apr 2008
200 Posts
Since there are no other scale or semi scale plans on the sport section at RCMplans, I am guessing that the plan is listed there by mistake. I had the article at one time, and it looked pretty nice to me. It is a newer plan by RCM standards, and should be a decent flying model.
cougdave is offline Find More Posts by cougdave
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:34 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
Does anyone have decent 3-views showing the nose of the Super Cub? I'm going to scratch build the cowl for my J-3 to PA-18 conversion but I need good drawings to start from.

Thanks,
Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:54 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmodelman View Post

Thanks
The Nelitz plans are exact scale..I had much difficulty with the wing mount system-welding required and perfect alignment for accurate fitting up.
I built a second one with just an aluminum tube through the center section,much like the current trend.
The tail outlines are aluminum tube,again,forsaken for laminated outlines of balsa..The tail hinges are difficult-change to your favorites...I used C.B.Associates hinges.
It is an absolutely excellent flyer though.
The one I built for Ronnie Osborne is still flying after 30 some years-Quadra 35
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..