SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by teeceeveecee, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 09, 2009, 09:56 AM
Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
593 Posts
Discussion
Mini Bio

Hi Guys:

I have been building and flying model airplanes for many years. Started RC with vacuum tube transmitters and receivers, rubber powered escapements and batteries that would start a Buick. Built my first proportional radio system, Heathkit on 27MHz. Today I fly JR X9303 on 2.4GHz. Like big old slow planes (just like me) although I do love my TWIST 150 with a Magnum 1.80 4-stroke. It will slow fly with the best and the control surfaces are so big the 3-D capabilities are way beyond my expertise but I do have fun.

Tom
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Last edited by teeceeveecee; May 07, 2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Add Images
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2009, 11:03 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5 Posts
could you please tell me about you Tiger Moth. Kit,arf ect.. that you have pictured?
tllester is offline Find More Posts by tllester
Old Jan 09, 2009, 11:23 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Nov 2008
603 Posts
Great to hear from an "old timer."

Hi, while I wasn't into models "back in the day" like you described I, none the less have a lot of respect for those of you who pioneered and participated the hobby. I was too young during that time, but believe it or not, vacuum tube equipment is still alive. It's still being used and developed within the music industry, particulary for guitar amps. Most modern amps are made with consumer grade solid state circuitry and it's junk. There are company's who still manufacture hand wired tube based amps and home builders who make simalar stuff based on origional circuts designed by Leo Fender and others. Just thought you'd like to know.
Taildragger55 is offline Find More Posts by Taildragger55
Old Sep 30, 2010, 01:08 PM
USA, OH, Oberlin
Joined Oct 2004
483 Posts
That is one great looking group of airplanes you have.
propjobbill is offline Find More Posts by propjobbill
Old Sep 30, 2010, 03:31 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
593 Posts
I Love Anything That Flies

Hi Propjob:

Thanks for looking, as you saw I pretty much like anything that flies but my all time favorite is my Slowpoke Sport 40 (the red and white one). I have been flying that one now almost 12 years. It has the original covering, 21st Century Coverite fabric except for the underside of the wing. Hard landing one day made the gear spring back and tore the fabric, repairable but I just recovered it with Ultracote. The engine is original, OS .52 4-stroke. Never been out of the plane since installed, Powermaster 15% nitro, 18% lubricant of which 6% is castor. Best on the market for my money, Horizon now carries it so that says something too. Never use afterrun, the castor takes care of that issue.

I have one of the last Slowpoke Sport 40 kits made, I will be building it this winter. Have a NIB YS .63 for this one.

Tom
Last edited by teeceeveecee; Oct 23, 2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 08:10 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2004
234 Posts
Hey Tom, thanks for the compliments re: my blog. I see that you are clearly a very experienced "builder" and have stayed true to the craft. I have to say that your Tiger Moth and Balsa USA-III are really beautiful. I cannot believe how intricate the landing gear is on the Balsa USA...

A credit to the Hobby!!!!

Ken
Kholder116 is offline Find More Posts by Kholder116
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2010, 06:41 AM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
593 Posts
Thank You Sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kholder116 View Post
Hey Tom, thanks for the compliments re: my blog. I see that you are clearly a very experienced "builder" and have stayed true to the craft. I have to say that your Tiger Moth and Balsa USA-III are really beautiful. I cannot believe how intricate the landing gear is on the Balsa USA...

A credit to the Hobby!!!!

Ken
Hi Ken:

Thank you sir for looking at my blog and the compliment.

I love that Balsa USA Eindecker E-III. It flew a little too "heavy" for a WW-I kite. I am building a new one this winter using a DLE 20cc gasser which only weighs 29 ounces with muffler and ignition module. Should be a much better combination since the engine is almost 10 ounces lighter than the Zenoah.

Best wishes and have a great holiday season.

Tom