Old Jan 09, 2009, 01:08 AM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,704 Posts
Build Log
Turnigy (TECHone) Mythos Build Thread

Hi Guys,

I could not find a build thread on this particular bird so I thought I would start one.

I just received the Mythos from TECHone in the mail. You can find the here... http://www.techonehobby.com/ But are also available from UH under the Turnigy name here... http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8365

I bought mine from another member and although it does not have the Turnigy labelling, the Manual's title is TURNIGY MYTHOS. So not sure what the deal is there.

On first inspection the bits look rather flimsy - The EPP is very thin, but the more you handle the bits, the more you can see just how much give they have, giving this bird the "unbreakable" label that it has. I would not call it unbreakable, but it should withstand some heavy treatment.

The package includes the Brushless Outrunner, landing gear, clevises, prop and other bits and pieces. No servos or Radio gear is in this kit, but I already have servos and and RX that I will slot straight in.

This is going to be interesting for me, as I am in no way an accomplished 3D flyer, so I am looking forward to this one.

I will most likely start this build early next week as my weekend is quite full.

Here are the specs....

Wing Span: 800mm (31.5 in.)
Overall Length: 805mm (31.6 in.)
Wing Area: 240 sq in (15.5 sq dm)
Flying Weight: 195g (6.9oz) -235g(8.3oz) with battery
Motor Size: A20-34S or 2204/54 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 18 Amp
Servos: 5-8 g micro Servo
Prop Size: 9060 Slow Flyer Prop
Battery: 2 cells7.4V 500-800mAh Li-po

Stay tuned!

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is online now Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2009, 01:53 AM
Sydney
Joined Feb 2008
556 Posts
funny you started a build thread for this bird, as i was looking at buying one, but after a trip to my LHS yesterday I bought a Depron airframe kit to give a go.

I was rather inpressed with the low flying weight of the Mythos, as the others (including the depron one i bought) are well over 300g.

I will be watching with interest
speedy_1 is offline Find More Posts by speedy_1
Old Jan 12, 2009, 04:19 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,704 Posts
OK Here we go...

Today I started the build, and from the get go I knew this was going to be a head scratcher. Like always, I like to have a good flick through the manual first to see if anything jumps out at me, and to see if there is going to be any sticky issues that I should know about before I start. Well I did not have to read very much to realise that the manual is written in very bad English (Chinglish). That is always a concern when you read a manual. It can be a definite indicator of quality, or lack thereof.

Anyways, after getting through it, I decided to get going. Straight away I was stuck at Step 1. Step one tells you to put a "rope" (I think they mean string) through from the servo mount whole in the wing, to the holes in the centre of the wing. I presume this is to be able to pull the servo wire through once you mount the wing. The problem is there is no holes in the spars between the servo hole and the centre holes in the wing. I searched everywhere and there was just no hole. This meant that in Step 1, I am already going to have to modify the airframe as it was not intended. I also noticed that I was going to have to cut some foam away to get the servo to sit hard against the mount. - Again, not good.

Not off to a good start!!

I got through all that and managed to get the wing on all good. Made all the necessary measurements and to make sure the wing was on straight... and this is where I noticed that this was going from bad to worse.

It appeared my fuse was badly twisted (as shown in the pics). I tried to twist it back, but was not going to happen. So I measured the best I could and glued the wing in.

It is here that I will tell you that I like to use Hot Glue on EPP as I think it does a better job than CA.

After mounting the wing I moved onto the tail. Oh yes... it can get worse. Once I put the stabilisers in, it was very plain to see that it was going to be near impossible to get them and the wing aligned. (see pic below).

As the foam is so thin, there is nothing to use as a stable section to use as a brace to adjust things. The manual states to use carbon rods to help align the rear stabiliser, but even these were having little affect.

I did the best I could and mounted the stabiliser up and mounted the Elevator and Rudder.

I have since mounted the Ailerons (one of which the painted decals don't line up) and will soon move onto the motor.

I have had some builds where there some missing steps, or where some parts were a bit iffy.. but this one took the cake. Twisted Fuse, steps wrong or badly written. It got the point where I was no longer referring to the manual, and just began to use my own experience to carry on the build.

I will update when I mount the motor. - Which Oh yes... is different to the manual. In the Manual there is a prop adapter that gets mounted to the motor... However, in the kit is a Prop Saver - So Yet another short coming.

let's hope the thing flies remotely better than how it is shaping up thus far... time will tell.

Cheers
-J
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The_Mongrel; Jan 12, 2009 at 04:27 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 05:10 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Wow. That is terrible. I was going to get one of these but decided against it at the last minute. Glad I did. I guess its OK for someone who knows what they are doing. One way or another they will get the thing in the air. As for the twisted fuse, thats just not good enough no matter how much you pay. You seem to know what you are doing Mongrel but imagine if someone new to the hobby wanted something cheap to get started in 3D, they would be lost at step 1. Good luck with it.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Jan 12, 2009, 08:14 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub
Wow. That is terrible. I was going to get one of these but decided against it at the last minute. Glad I did. I guess its OK for someone who knows what they are doing. One way or another they will get the thing in the air. As for the twisted fuse, thats just not good enough no matter how much you pay. You seem to know what you are doing Mongrel but imagine if someone new to the hobby wanted something cheap to get started in 3D, they would be lost at step 1. Good luck with it.

Absolutely! This would be a nightmare for the beginner!! If you had never built anything before you would be totally stumped. The only thing I suppose one might say is that you probably would not buy this as your first aircraft... but still. You would think that the holes they speak of in the manual would actually be there.

And yes... the twisted fuse is just unforgivable.

It will be a couple of days before I get into it again. Bit busy for a day or two.

Cheers
-J
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:02 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Hows the build going?
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Mar 24, 2009, 08:18 PM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Dec 2007
28 Posts
EPP bending

EPP can be heat moulded back in to shape.
Warm (45-50c) water can be used to allow you to bend things back in to place.
I just bought one of these myself. I hope its not as bad as yours.

AJ
aj240 is offline Find More Posts by aj240
Old Mar 25, 2009, 03:42 AM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,271 Posts
i bought one

yeah so i bout one.... the first thing youll do is snap the nose clean off, as i have done about 10 times.... now its sitting in the back cuboard... rotting away.... biggest waist i ever spent...
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
Old Mar 25, 2009, 02:56 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieJarred
yeah so i bout one.... the first thing youll do is snap the nose clean off, as i have done about 10 times.... now its sitting in the back cuboard... rotting away.... biggest waist i ever spent...
Bummer. What type of glue did you use in the nose area?
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Mar 25, 2009, 06:25 PM
Does it fly?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2007
844 Posts
I have one. It's been in the box since before this thread... maybe one day I will get around to building it. It will be an indoor model if I do though.
Gussy is offline Find More Posts by Gussy
Old Mar 26, 2009, 02:10 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet
Bummer. What type of glue did you use in the nose area?
hot glue, but if its so unbreakable, why did it have to break in the first place....
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:20 AM
Joined Mar 2009
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieJarred
hot glue, but if its so unbreakable, why did it have to break in the first place....
I think the manufacturers have a different definition of the term "unbreakable" to what us normal people mean. They probably think it's unbreakable if it doesn't fall apart when dropped with NO motor, NO batteries, NO servos, NO receiver!

Pete
PeteMillis is offline Find More Posts by PeteMillis
Old Mar 27, 2009, 05:59 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,271 Posts
lol@pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMillis
I think the manufacturers have a different definition of the term "unbreakable" to what us normal people mean. They probably think it's unbreakable if it doesn't fall apart when dropped with NO motor, NO batteries, NO servos, NO receiver!

Pete
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:59 PM
Joined Jan 2012
43 Posts
I have this plane I bought it at a discount, the instructions are vague, I read this thread first then built it. I reinforced the front with 3m extreme tape and the laminated everything with 1.5 mil heat laminate used hxt 900s for the ailerons and 500's for the tail, left off the wheel dressings, and thats about all I changed. It weighs 11 oz with an 850 2s battery, and around 15 with a 1000 3s battery, flys great. I straightened the tail with some very thin carbon rod glued on both sides, laying on a flat surface, worked. I put in an Emax motor about the same weight as the one called for. It flys great on 2s goes really slow, but has enough power to hover, barely, on 3s flys strong, hovers easily. It flys really well. I think the thin EPP with the internal skeleton of structure was meant to act as a spring on any impact. It is very springy and feels very delicate while being handled. I have piled it into the ground and it did not break, but I did reinforce. It would be very hard to crash this much, as it is very easy to control, and it can fly really slowly. When you hit you won't be moving very fast. It does not like wind as it is hollow and has not got much mass. The only thing I agree with here with what I have read is the mention of the poor instructions, yes, very poor, and misleading in that it is easy to build, this took quite a while to put together, but I thought it out and reinforced where I thought I needed to, I got a great flying plane!
kf1111 is offline Find More Posts by kf1111