Old Jan 08, 2009, 04:12 PM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
3,071 Posts
Contest
IHLGF Announcement April 25-26, 2009

Contest -

The Torrey Pines Gulls invite you to participate in the 16th annual International Hand Launch Glider Festival (IHLGF) on April 25-26, at the TPG Poway Flight Center, located in Poway (San Diego), California.

This is the 16th year that the IHLGF will be held, and once again, the contest will be in its traditional location in Poway California. Poway has been synonymous with Hand Launch/ DLG flying since the beginning, but unfortunately due to the development of the property, this may be the last year the contest is held there. Many pilots have enjoyed this unique site over the last 15 years, developed their skills, and met and flown with friends. While we do not know what the future holds for year 17 and beyond, the time is now to come and fly in San Diego. This year the IHLGF will be held APRIL 24-25-26. The contest committee changed the date to April to provide the travelling pilot with some separation between large contests, capitalize on our beautiful weather that time of year, and to take advantage of off season rates in san diego during a year that will prove difficult for many. We are looking forward to seeing many international pilots make it to the IHLGF this year!

The IHLGF will feature FAI F3K tasks for 2009 and the task list will be published soon. You will find the contest schedule of tasks very similar to last year. There will be limited modifications to the F3K Rules, which will accommodate some of the unique characteristics of our field and contest format. One notable departure from the published f3k rules is at the IHLGF- your preliminary scores carry into the flyoffs.

We have updated our website, and registration is now open. The registration period will last until April 15th. After April 15th, registrations will not be accepted.

The website will feature a contest scores, pictures and stories from the IHLGFs of the past. Content will be added to the site on an ongoing basis, and it is a work in progress putting that history together. If you have any pictures in your personal achives, we would love to post them. Simply email me a your pictures, with the year of the contest and any caption you want, and we will post them with your name in the gallery. The 2008 gallery has about 60 pictures in it already.

We have always been blessed with an array of international pilots from all parts of the globe and we look forward to even more international pilots attending the IHLGF this year and in the future. We love our international pilots! Not only are they great pilots but they are always great ambassadors for their countries. If there are an special needs from our international pilots please let us know how we can help you.

There will be four classes of pilots this year: Open, Junior (15 and under), Senior (16-19) and Eagle (55 and better). Each class will have their own set of awards. Open class will have awards through 10th place and the Junior, Senior and Eagle classes will have plaques through 3rd place. This year, for the first time, if you make the top 10, regardless of class, you will be in the flyoffs. In the past, only open Class pilots will be eligible for the Championship Fly-Off. All pilots will have the opportunity to compete against each other during the rounds of open competition. As such, each pilot must launch his/her own plane. If you qualify (age) and wish to fly in a class other than Open, you must register as such on the entry form.

Once again we will have ONE "throw-out" round. The number of rounds will be announced when registration closes. The top ten pilots will be in the Championship Fly-Off and will carry their adjusted scores into the Fly-Off. Scores do not reset at the beginning of the Fly-Off.

One of the things that make the IHLGF so special is the social aspect. We begin Friday evening with a "Post Practice Social" which will be held at the Hamburger Factory. Saturday evening we have an old fashioned "all you can eat" Pizza Party planned at Round Table Pizza in Poway.

The field will be available beginning Thursday, April 23rd, for practice. Toilet facilities will be available beginning Thursday. RV parking/ overnite camping will no longer be allowed at field. Please check the website as we update the lodging page. We will be posting information on camping, RV parking nearby, and accommodations later this week. On Friday we will host a clinic in the afternoon.

We look forward to you joining us for another great weekend of IHLGF competition and camaraderie. If you have any questions, you can post on this thread, or contact me directly.

Michael Seid at 619-709-9779 or e-mail Michael at seid@mkcapllc.com

Please check back frequently to see our growing list of sponsors.
Thank you,

Michael Seid
IHLGF 2009 Chairman
M Seid is offline Find More Posts by M Seid
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by M Seid; Jan 13, 2009 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Web URL Updated
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2009, 04:27 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,449 Posts
Mike,
Good news. Is this to be held on the "old" Poway field, or the new side?

Tom
tewatson is online now Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Jan 08, 2009, 05:56 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Nov 2003
1,987 Posts
IHLGF !!! Good to hear this news, looking forward to it.

-Kai
Kai@UCSB is offline Find More Posts by Kai@UCSB
Old Jan 08, 2009, 06:27 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewatson
Mike,
Good news. Is this to be held on the "old" Poway field, or the new side?

Tom
This will be held at the Poway field, but the new field boundaries at Poway field. This should make for a much better handlaunch contest as far as field boundaries and no fly zones are concerned.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Jan 08, 2009, 06:30 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,527 Posts
I would like to thank Mr. Seid, our new contest chairman for putting in a huge effort. He is really attacking the event coordination for a contestantís standpoint, ensuring that every contestant that travels to the event leaves knowing that he participated in something special. The new website reflects Mr. Seidís organization and hard work. This will be a great year for DLG.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Jan 09, 2009, 11:54 AM
Team Horizon pilot
Louisville, KY
Joined Jun 2005
1,214 Posts
Good Job Mike, I tested the online sign up form for ya. I am looking forward to it. If you wanna stay where all the cool guys stay (and closest to the field) you better get your reservation in early. The phone number for the Poway Country Inn is 858-748-6320. Got me a spot on the bottom floor.

Bruce Davidson
got2soar is online now Find More Posts by got2soar
Old Jan 09, 2009, 02:32 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,046 Posts
Nice job Mike. Already signed up and got a couple of new planes in the mail yesterday so I'll be ready to go. Hopefully the date change will ease the early summer contest crunch of last year.

Just over 3 months to go. See ya'll there!

Clay
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Old Jan 09, 2009, 02:45 PM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
3,071 Posts
Clay I was really worried about you. With all the liquidation sales youve been posting...i was worried you were going to fly f3b exclusively or something. Glad to see your registration. Ill be updating the pilot list on an ongoing basis, and updating this thread when the site has been updated!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2009, 04:58 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Sep 2004
2,375 Posts
Mike, thanks for the effort that went (and is still going) into the preparations. Looking forward to the event!
I did not find the list of tasks, I suppose it is not ready yet. Do you plan to have 10 + 3 rounds as always?
olgol is offline Find More Posts by olgol
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG assembly service
Old Jan 09, 2009, 05:12 PM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,591 Posts
A few pilot may need me to toss. Is that still an option? Are you flying any modified plane rules as before, or pure F3K?
Thermaln2 is offline Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Old Jan 09, 2009, 09:38 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,449 Posts
Mike,
Do you show my name on the pilot list? I did the registration, but stopped at the PrayPal screen (I hate them). Sent Parviz an e-mail asking where to send a check, but all I got back from his address was some social network thing (I'm not sure it's really him - looks like spam).

Tom
tewatson is online now Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Jan 09, 2009, 11:57 PM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
3,071 Posts
We will have the club address up this weekend. Thanks for registering Tom. I did get your registration.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2009, 12:11 AM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,079 Posts
never mind. registering now. it was a questions about the sportsman class.

Mike or moderators, feel free to delete this post.
cheers
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2009, 01:30 AM
DLG Fan
Tempe, AZ
Joined Nov 2002
1,966 Posts
Looks like a great event...
AZ_Astro is offline Find More Posts by AZ_Astro
Last edited by AZ_Astro; Jan 10, 2009 at 02:10 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 08:42 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,728 Posts
Hey Mike.....did you get my registration? Thanks for doing the contest.
-Dave
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!