SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Jose E Bruzual, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 09:20 AM
United States, CO, Evergreen
Joined Jul 2007
293 Posts
Does the positive terminal of the Kokam LIPO require special flux/solder to connect the wire?
magee8578 is offline Find More Posts by magee8578
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2009, 09:25 PM
Joined Jul 2007
293 Posts
Over
Old Jul 27, 2009, 04:55 PM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magee8578
Never tried to insert a photo before. Wanted to figure out how to do it.
Did I mess something up?
Would it weaken the boom if I drilled and tapped a whole for the screw?
magee,

Sorry for the delay, I have been away for the last couple of weeks. you need to cut the rest of the screw off, but don't drill into the boom

I'll respond to your other posts a bit later

thank you again

Jose
Jose E Bruzual is offline Find More Posts by Jose E Bruzual
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:23 AM
Joined Jul 2007
293 Posts
Jose,

No problem. Disregard all other questions, I got it all figured out. Thanks
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:30 PM
Joined Oct 2007
2 Posts
Any info on when the kit will be available again would be greatly appreciated! I've been reading the fist build thread and I would love to get this kit to try out gliding.

Thank you,
Zachmccool
zachmccool is offline Find More Posts by zachmccool
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:28 AM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
Zachmccool,

The new Apogee Sport should be available this fall, I'll keep you posted here

thanks again

Jose
Old Aug 02, 2009, 04:07 PM
Joined Oct 2007
2 Posts
So what has changed on the new Apogee Sport?
zachmccool is offline Find More Posts by zachmccool
Old Aug 02, 2009, 07:41 PM
Joined Jul 2007
293 Posts
Got mine finished today, finally. It flies awesome. I do have a problem on launch. I am a right hand launcher, and when I throw it the model rolls over, counter-clockwise as seen from behind. I set up a launch preset with right rudder that helps a lot. Is that normal? Any other suggestions.

I have the micro switch that Jose sells. Can I leave the battery plugged in and just turn the switch off over a long period of time; or will the battery be slowly draining if its plugged into the switch even though its turned off?
Old Aug 02, 2009, 08:13 PM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magee8578
Got mine finished today, finally. It flies awesome. I do have a problem on launch. I am a right hand launcher, and when I throw it the model rolls over, counter-clockwise as seen from behind. I set up a launch preset with right rudder that helps a lot. Is that normal? Any other suggestions.

I have the micro switch that Jose sells. Can I leave the battery plugged in and just turn the switch off over a long period of time; or will the battery be slowly draining if its plugged into the switch even though its turned off?
Assuming all of your linkages are done properly and there isn’t any slop along the pushrod, then it sounds like a ‘late release’ issue; actually rather common with the small planes, but it can be easily corrected by releasing the plane a bit earlier, does it look anything like this?

Launch late release (0 min 18 sec)

I wouldn’t leave any battery connected; it can drain the battery and permanently ruin it

Thanks

Jose
Old Aug 14, 2009, 09:29 PM
Joined Jul 2007
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose E Bruzual
Zachmccool,

The new Apogee Sport should be available this fall, I'll keep you posted here

thanks again

Jose

For the Northern Hemisphere, as in the United States, Canada and most of Europe, Fall begins on September 22, 2009 at 5:18 pm EDT.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 09:54 PM
Joined Jul 2007
293 Posts
Any information about the new Apogee Sport?
Old Nov 12, 2009, 10:58 AM
Joined Jul 2007
293 Posts
I recently had my fuselage break in half on launch. I wanted to add some carbon fiber to the fuselage to try to reinforce my repair. I dont know much about the available materials. Would this be a good thing to use for the reapir?

And I cant resist digging for some info on the new Apogee Sport????

About Carbon Laminates
ACP manufactures both standard and custom carbon fiber laminates. All laminates are manufactured with 250F cure carbon fiber pre-preg (carbon fibers impregnated with epoxy resin) laid up to the required thickness and fiber orientation and cured with heat (250">0F +) and pressure. Typical carbon fiber laminates have the following properties: Tensile Strength - 285 Ksi, Tensile Modulus - 17.5 Msi, Compressive Strength - 160 Ksi, Compressive Modulus - 17.0 Msi, Flexural Strength - 310 Ksi, Flexural Modulus - 17.0 Msi. All data is generated in the 0 direction and tested at room temperature. Laminates are available from .003” to .500” thick in a variety of fiber lay-up configurations.

The Uni-Directional Laminate is laid up so that all the carbon fibers run in the zero direction or parallel to the length of the part. The uni-directional carbon fiber laminates are used to add stiffness to almost any material (i.e. fiberglass, foam, and balsa wood). In order to achieve maximum stiffness each strip should be installed with proper fiber orientation. ACP offers uni-directional laminates from .003” to .250” thick. The .003” (CLX) or the .007” (CL1) thick laminates are ideally suited for reinforcing lightweight structures. The .014” (CL2) to .060” (CL6) thick laminates can be used to reinforce areas where higher loads are expected. The uni-directional laminates in widths from 1/4” through 1” have been Water Jet Cut to offer a smooth edge and a dimensionally accurate laminate. The laminates can be used for a variety of applications such as aircraft and rocket fuselages, surfboards, boat centerboards and guitar neck reinforcement. The thinner laminates (CLX - CL2) can easily be cut lengthwise with a razor knife and straight edge. These laminates should be taped to the cutting surface to prevent shifting under the straight edge. When thicker laminates are required, purchasing the exact size needed is recommended, since cutting the thicker laminates can be difficult. Slow set CA or 5 minute epoxy adhesive is recommended to bond the laminates to the substrate. At least one side of the laminate has been purposely roughened to facilitate bonding to the substrate.