Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 07, 2009, 10:51 PM
BladeRunner
Indianapolis, indiana
Joined Dec 2007
297 Posts
Discussion
Dyn-E-Max Ducted Fan

I've spent thousands of dollars and 2 1/2 years designing, tooling, manufacturing, testing, redesigning because it was too heavy and listening to opinion after opinion.

I have made it reliable to the point that I felt that it was marketable. So far no failure just woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.
If you have something better bring it on. That's what makes this fun. There is something in here for every modeler level. As bad as the economy is, It's nice to see an American-made product doing so well out-of-the-box!
The number of dynamax fan units are growing in the next few months I hope to see many flying and happy modelers. Your positive feedback is welcome at any time. I know every part of this fan, because I designed it, with the help of some very knowledgeable and well-established businessman. And remember we are just getting started. Have you designed and manufactured anything lately!

These are the rules:

This thread is going to be about the Dynamax e-conversion,
Technical data about the Dynamax e-conversions
Peoples models and techniques concerning the fittment and setup of Dynemax e conversions
Peoples experiances of using Dynemax e-conversions in models
Direct comparisons of the Dynemax e-conversions with conversions of a similar nature
Where to get the kit
How much it costs
What models are suitable
What motors are suitable
Ducting arrangements
Direct comparisons of this fan against others of similar power levels, using more than hearsay and conjecture
Discussions that may relate to usage of the unit.
If you have something to say call me or PM. Your success is my success.

Fred L.Baldwin / 1-317-293-6449
Dyn-E-Max.Com
7321 Wood Duck Court
Indianapolis, Indiana 46254
bladexz2@comcast.net

Paul Nealy's A4 / Dyn-E-Max/HK -4035 -630KV scorpion motor
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=968375

Tamjet A4 / Dyn-E-Max/ Nue 1527 3D-770KV motor
Tamjets A-4 Wt Dyn-E-Max Fan (3 min 25 sec)
bladexz2 is offline Find More Posts by bladexz2
Last edited by bladexz2; May 21, 2009 at 10:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2009, 02:07 AM
Germany
Joined Jan 2003
171 Posts
Quote:
I've spent thousands of dollars
And thats the main point, that all your post have only to do with pushing and pushing your product. And you only accept positiv feedback. Great attitude

This is really getting dislikable.
Perhaps you should think about it.
modellbobby is offline Find More Posts by modellbobby
Old Jan 08, 2009, 02:59 AM
Suspended Account
Braintree, Essex
Joined Mar 2006
3,174 Posts
Fred mate.

Sorry I closed the Dynamax thread, I know that you got some good milage out of that.

I have edited this post because someone reported me for Trolling?

Not sure what bit it was, but I am mortified I have seem to have broken the rules ?

Ok apologies to whoever I offended, not quite sure why?

Mind you, I was only reported? The mods had made no ruling, but I am not one to wait for that.
Whistling Watts is offline Find More Posts by Whistling Watts
Last edited by Whistling Watts; Jan 08, 2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2009, 05:18 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
Hi Fred,
I am good with your thread the way you have presented it. And I understand why you have.

If people take the time to read your "rules" they will see that everything except unfounded argument for the sake of argument is permitted. You have welcomed
"Direct comparisons of the Dynemax e-conversions with conversions of a similar nature"
and "Direct comparisons of this fan against others of similar power levels, using more than hearsay and conjecture"

I think that is fair. And it is not limiting this thread to only mentioning the Dyn E Max.

I am certain that some people will get bent out of shape, but no more than what happens when the discussion gets heated because of brand loyalty.

That being said, I see things differently perhaps becasue I too am a design engineer.
You may want to take some of the suggestions of Whistling Watts to heart.

Good luck with your product.

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
Old Jan 08, 2009, 05:58 AM
Suspended Account
Braintree, Essex
Joined Mar 2006
3,174 Posts
Hi, I promised Fred I would re-post the links to my Dyn-E-Max "Beast" bench testing.

Here is the main bench test.

Sorry about some of the "Whoopsies" in the dialog, you ought to hear some of the 'bloopers' on the early ones I did

Dyn-E-Max EDF test (8 min 38 sec)

I also took it out of doors, and got a hint on how quiet the unit might be. Some said that when I moved behind the unit and it got very quiet, it was the wind noise playing havoc with the camera microphone gain.

Experiance has shown that this was not the case, it is that quiet.

Dyn-E-Max sound test outside (2 min 29 sec)

Fred, no one can detract from the fact that you were the first to demonstrate a viable Dynamax conversion that someone could buy and plug in a model with a reasonable guarantee of success.

Can you now post a break down of prices and configurations of the units you supply?

Also, a suggestion to the benefit of us all, could you assist Pablo in setting up an Eagle Tree unit in his model so we can get some air born data?

Motor used in unit
Inlet size to FSA
Outlet size
Watts (Static in model)
Watts (Airborn in model)
Amps/Volts (static and airborn) details of pack used
Motor temps during the flight
Airspeed at full throttle S&L (from Eagle Tree pitot which shows true airspeed +- 5mph)
Average efflux on the ground in the model (just run a tube from the pitot)
Altitude of test site, Air temp on the day.
Video of the flight uncut and without music with one S&L downwind pass and another upwind.
What the average wind speed was (if you can get it)
Measurment of how many Mah put back into the pack after the flight.

Not much to ask really

Deliver that and you will have the respect and attention of everybody and you and Pablo will have moved things forward a giant leap.

I for one will never get tired of watching Pablo fly the "Beast" I dont care what amps it's sucking Just so long as we are aware of that is.

Best of luck for the New Year.

Steve
Whistling Watts is offline Find More Posts by Whistling Watts
Last edited by Whistling Watts; Jan 08, 2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2009, 07:44 AM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,838 Posts
You can't keep a good thread down. How bout just the people who are considering the Dynamax, have the Dynamax and want to convert it, have converted the Dynamax or have purchased the Dyn-e-max and the Mfgs. who make the units and upgrade parts and the guys who are testing this unit in all variations, be the forum contributors. If the product does not live up to expectations the market will make it known and in short order. Any and all success with the unit can be documented directly to the thread with video and test data as we have already seen.
For me it's all about the sound of the unit, performance of course is a big issue also. I purchased the Stumax fan based on what i saw and heard in the videos. What i have seen so far with the Dynamax is equally impressive and will be a drop in affair in my Yellow F-18 with some minor ducting modifications. I have a new in box fan that i will be converting once i see how things shake out. If i can get 4-5 minute flight times on a 5000 mah capacity 10-12 cell setup, then i'm in. Paul's setup in the A-4 is promising provided the info given is honest and not beholding to any other interest. In the meantime i'll work on the F-18 and see how things develope. Doug
Doug Bateman is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bateman
Old Jan 08, 2009, 08:13 AM
ohio
Joined Aug 1999
3,584 Posts
some clarification ... Paul does not have a Dyn-e-max in his airframe as tagged in the thread and photo. Paul did the dynamax fan conversion all by himself with a few parts that he bought from Fred. There was no outrunner Dyn-e-max before Paul's, although there was another scorpion/fan conversion...also Paul is seeing 3600 watts in his A-4 not 4000+

The Dyna-e-max looks to be a great conversion, but Lets give Paul his due for what he created.

kevin is offline Find More Posts by kevin
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kevin; Jan 08, 2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2009, 08:26 AM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,838 Posts
Kevin, i know how Paul set up his fan and yes he does deserve credit and i will probably follow his lead when doing mine, except i will not have the ESC blocking airflow in the duct. Doug
Old Jan 08, 2009, 09:44 AM
5kW Club
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Feb 2007
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin
some clarification ... Paul does not have a Dyn-e-max in his airframe as tagged in the thread and photo. Paul did the dynamax fan conversion all by himself with a few parts that he bought from Fred. There was no outrunner Dyn-e-max before Paul's, although there was another scorpion/fan conversion...also Paul is seeing 3600 watts in his A-4 not 4000+

The Dyna-e-max looks to be a great conversion, but Lets give Paul his due for what he created.

I flew my version of the Dyanmax Scorpion outrunner in Mid Oct 2008 at the TEAM event in Tucson, I machined all of my own parts, I tested this system back in Feb-March of 08 when I converted a Dynamax and a Rametec fan unit. The Dyanmax showed more promise at that time.

Video of flight
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=falcon

I wanted to help get the time line correct.

Clay
racer1 is offline Find More Posts by racer1
Old Jan 08, 2009, 09:58 AM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,643 Posts
Fred,
Thanks for taking the time and effort to produce the fan unit conversion. I have been flying small 70mm EDF's mostly because of the expense of larger units.
In years past I flew my share of Dynamax/OS77 powered jets and waited for the day when those jets could be flown reliably with electric power. Your conversion has persuaded me to get back to the "Larger" planes. I still havent made up my mind as to which plane to build, but I have decided on a Dynamax based conversion.

I have a soft spot for the A-4, but may go with a Starfire or Possibly an F-18 in the future(waiting to see how Dougs inlets turn out)

Heres a pic of my A-4 circa 1990 at the Greater S/W Fan Fly in Texas
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1540193

I'll be watching this thread with interest to see the latest updates

cooper998
cooper998 is offline Find More Posts by cooper998
Old Jan 08, 2009, 09:59 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,250 Posts
Fred and Paul were the trailblazers here that got this excitement really moving. How many of us old "Gasser" Jet guys got tuned up when you first heard the "Dynamax" fan was being converted How many of you, like me, got down your old Yellow and JMP kits and started thinking about those great Jet Rallies of the 80's and 90's! Remember how cool it was to hear and see the first turbines Then at the jet rallies you didn't even bother to bring your gasser anymore because all the manufacturers showed up with $6000 turbines and you felt like the "red headed" step child

Now we have the chance to bring back the planes we loved As great as the turbines were, they killed an entire part of the hobby for many. They created another part of the hobby for the rich, but made those of us that couldn't buy one feel like we could no longer show up and fly our beloved ducted fans. Just think how cool a Yellow SR-71 with twin Dyn-E-Max fans would be I am truly excited! I just bought a Starfire to electrify and my Yellow A-4 is totally cleaned up, touched, and all the gas stuff removed ready for the revival The old saying that bigger planes fly better is true! And glass planes look better than foam A 70mm foamy with all the hot stuff cost about a Grand to build and fly. A Yellow kit electrified is not that much more but it "is" that much nicer fly and look at Great day are coming!

Thanks Fred!!!!
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Jan 08, 2009, 10:12 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,250 Posts
Wow! Cooper998 take a look

Great minds think alike
Old Jan 08, 2009, 10:48 AM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,838 Posts
Here's my T/F 4000 powered version. Will use the Dynamax in F-18.
Old Jan 08, 2009, 10:59 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,250 Posts
That is Sweet Doug! Any video?
Old Jan 08, 2009, 11:02 AM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent
Wow! Cooper998 take a look

Great minds think alike
Now thats interesting! first time seeing another Scooter done in the Aggressor scheme.
I'll be calling Shaun at Yellow this afternoon to order my "New" A-4. Most likely will still be done in the Aggressor scheme.

My apologies for taking this off track so...
Now the next decision will be to go with the full Dyn-E-Max with the Neu motor guts, or the conversion to Scorpion outrunner. Weight wise which would be a "Lighter" setup and would it be an 8, 10, or 12s setup needed? I am a scale flyer and am not interested in all out speed (just needs to look fast) just good all around performance.

cooper998
cooper998 is offline Find More Posts by cooper998
Last edited by cooper998; Jan 08, 2009 at 11:09 AM.