HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2009, 09:34 PM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,402 Posts
Discussion
Has anyone installed a hatch on a Tiger Moth 400?

I am about to start a build on at GWS Tiger Moth 400. I don't really like the way the battery slides in through the front cockpit. I'm thinking of designing a hatch under both cockpits or in the side. Has anyone done this? Appreciate any photos.

Thanks!
Mike
kansascloud is offline Find More Posts by kansascloud
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2009, 10:46 PM
Midnight Maniac
USA, NE, Lincoln
Joined Dec 2006
894 Posts
As you know from another thread I'm currently working on a TM400. The trick with this plane and the GWS PT-17 is getting as much weight as far forward as possible to achieve the correct CoG. I guess this is a biplane thing. Both PT-17s I built have the battery in the stock location but almost up against the firewall. I am using a 1250mah 3S lipo. I simply cut the battery channel to fit the battery before gluing the fuse halves together. To remove the battery I use a strapping tape loop (with sticky side on sticky side to eleminate sticking) around the battery to use as a pull remover. My PT-17 only needed 5/8 ounce of weight to balance and my fathers (I built for him) required only 3/4 or 1 ounce (can't remember for sure) to balance.
When I originally built my dads I put the battery just inside the battery compartment. After completion we needed to add close to 2 1/4 ounces to the nose to get the CoG on. It flew ok but I felt we could do better. I simply cut the top of the battery compartment on each side from the cockpit end to the firewall in a jack-o-lantern manner. This allowed us to open it up and remove the required foam to slide the battery all the way forward. 5 minute epoxy secured it back and we removed around an ounce of extra weight from the nose. This simple procedure made a big difference and it really started flying nice.
A hatch might be possible but the battery needs to be as far forward as possible. With the cowl in the way I'm not sure where you would put it.
Good luck.
PS: I see you are just down the road from me.
planekiller is offline Find More Posts by planekiller
Old Jan 08, 2009, 09:10 AM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,402 Posts
Thanks Killer! Good to know it builds tail heavy. I think I will try to engineer a removable hatch, gut everthing out and add my own floor to strap the battery to. That way I can get everything all the way forward? I just HATE to add weight.
Where do you fly?
kansascloud is offline Find More Posts by kansascloud
Old Jan 08, 2009, 10:17 AM
Midnight Maniac
USA, NE, Lincoln
Joined Dec 2006
894 Posts
I fly at a couple of the local town parks and sometimes at my friends farm. Out in western Nebraska I fly at my parents house. We have access to 160 acres of flat farm gound - makes for a nice place.

Quote:
I just HATE to add weight.
Amen!
Old Jan 08, 2009, 10:23 AM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
I fly mine on a EFlite 400 with a TP 3s 1320... stuffed all the way forward. It balances but I used "reusable" fasteners (it like a heavy plastic velcro) to hold the lipo in by bending it into a "U" and fastening it to the lipo floor and then the "instrument panel". Never worried about left/right shift. I did add aelirons to the upper wing and tie them into the bottom wing... rolls were SLOW on single aelirons.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Jan 13, 2009, 07:17 PM
Midnight Maniac
USA, NE, Lincoln
Joined Dec 2006
894 Posts
Here's a few pictures of mine. Finally getting something done on it. Need to finish the cowl and install a prop and it should be ready to go.

Old Jan 17, 2009, 12:05 AM
Midnight Maniac
USA, NE, Lincoln
Joined Dec 2006
894 Posts
Some more pictures.
With the battery installed it balances right where the rear cabane meets the top wing.