HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2009, 07:26 PM
Joined Jan 2009
46 Posts
Discussion
MINI Super Cub or Slo V for small field and wind resistance?

Hello. My only previous experience with RC planes was with the toyish Silverlit's X Twin (2 ch) Jet. It is actually hard to fly this outdoor as the control is very slow and it has very limited range. My problem is the very limited field I have (reduced to my neighborhood park or a farm that tough big is full of trees and thus have basically just at best like 200 X 200 field. After much reading I have come to the conclusion that my best bet would be the SLO V plane but it seems the only problem with this plane is how bad it is with the wind. I would love to use a Super Cub but I think it might not be ideal for such an small field and was wondering if the Mini Super Cub is like a Super Cub for small fields? Is the Mini Super Cub better with wind than the Slo V? Any other suggestions? Can the Slo V land on grass without the landing gear or even with the landing gear but with no damages? Thank you very much for your help. Really appreciated.
insoc is offline Find More Posts by insoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2009, 01:13 AM
Joined Jan 2009
46 Posts
Oh my! Now I am even more confused. I have read very negative reviews about the Slo V because it is very bad with even the lightest wind and heard very good things about the Easy Star. Do you recommend the Easy Star for small fields? It is better than the Slo V in wind situations? Thank you!
insoc is offline Find More Posts by insoc
Old Jan 08, 2009, 02:11 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by insoc
Oh my! Now I am even more confused. I have read very negative reviews about the Slo V because it is very bad with even the lightest wind and heard very good things about the Easy Star. Do you recommend the Easy Star for small fields? It is better than the Slo V in wind situations? Thank you!
Hi insoc,

The Slo-V is very bad for flying in winds above 3-5 miles per hour. If you can feel the wind on your face, then the Slo-V will not be a good plane for flying on those days!

The Easy Star, on the other hand is a Great flying plane when winds are around 7 - 10 mph. It will fly much better than the Slo-V on these 'slightly' windy days.

But now we have a problem it seems. Because while the Easy Star flies much better in slight winds... it also requires a Much larger area to fly in! It flies a LOT faster than the Slo-V, which means you need a much larger area to fly it in!

Is a field 200' x 200' a suitable place to learn to fly an EasyStar? The answer is plain and simple... NO!

There are many people here who will tell you that 200'x200' is plenty to learn to fly the EasyStar in. This is just plain BS!

To learn to fly the Easy Star, you WILL need an area of about 600'x600' MINIMUM!

I have a couple of Slo-V's. I absolutely love my Slo-Vs! I also fly three different Easy Stars... and Love these planes just as much! But the space needed to fly each type of plane is just not comparable. That's not an opinion.. it's just plain Fact!

Take care,

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)